Josina Anderson - Bills still looking to improve TE position

53 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m hoping Josina “Nostradamus” Anderson can add a when to the what. So far, zippo. Time will tell, but I think it’s safe to say we would like to get better at EVERY position. 

Impossible at QB am I right? 

1 minute ago, DJB said:

Impossible at QB am I right? 

I’d agree, but there IS a would you trade Josh for Mahomes thread. 🤷‍♂️

I can’t always make sense of this place. I am merely a mortal…..

(Although we did address QB #2, but that’s another story.) 

15 hours ago, Bob in Mich said:

It seems we must have some offer on the table for Ertz at this point. Since a trade for him hasn’t happened, we can assume the Eagles want more than our offer. We can also assume the Eagles aren’t waiting on Buffalo, so no one else’s offer has been deemed good enough either.

No, you cannot assume the Eagles want more than the Bills offer.  It's at least as likely IMO, that Ertz' contract is the roadblock.  I would think/hope any trade the Bills have with Philly would be contingent on having a signed contract with Ertz.

The Bills need to have a contract that is close to Fair Market Value (FMV) for Ertz because everyone knows if Philly can't move him, they'll cut him.  But what is FMV for Ertz?  Kittle/Kelce are at $14-15M, J Smith/Henry $12.5, Hooper $10, Pitts 8.5.  And how long of a contract do the Bills/Ertz want?  This is a difficult contract.

The Bills/Philly could have a deal in place, say a 5th (or maybe Butler and a 4th), contingent upon the Bills signing Ertz to a contract.  So, no, I'm not assuming that the Philly offer is the hold up, and I'm also not going to assume that Eagles are not waiting on the Bills.

22 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

No, you cannot assume the Eagles want more than the Bills offer.  It's at least as likely IMO, that Ertz' contract is the roadblock.  I would think/hope any trade the Bills have with Philly would be contingent on having a signed contract with Ertz.

The Bills need to have a contract that is close to Fair Market Value (FMV) for Ertz because everyone knows if Philly can't move him, they'll cut him.  But what is FMV for Ertz?  Kittle/Kelce are at $14-15M, J Smith/Henry $12.5, Hooper $10, Pitts 8.5.  And how long of a contract do the Bills/Ertz want?  This is a difficult contract.

The Bills/Philly could have a deal in place, say a 5th (or maybe Butler and a 4th), contingent upon the Bills signing Ertz to a contract.  So, no, I'm not assuming that the Philly offer is the hold up, and I'm also not going to assume that Eagles are not waiting on the Bills.

Way to needlessly throw shade at Butler.  And there is no discernible FMV for Ertz because guys that have declined from above average to bad normally can’t wrap their head around the corresponding decline in salary.  Sherman is probably seeing similar although on a different scale than Ertz as he was/is far better.

47 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Way to needlessly throw shade at Butler.  And there is no discernible FMV for Ertz because guys that have declined from above average to bad normally can’t wrap their head around the corresponding decline in salary.  Sherman is probably seeing similar although on a different scale than Ertz as he was/is far better.

You won't be happy if we get Ertz, because I can guarantee he will be brought in above your $1 valuation. 

We do agree though, the FMV for Ertz is complicated.  Elite players coming off an injury filled season are difficult to price.

As for Butler, things changed.  We drafted 2 DL.  If the Bills think like I do, they may feel Butler and his contract are no longer a good fit here.  But Philly has little use for him, they look to be in a rebuild.  So to entice them, and to help muddy up the trade so that Roseman can look better, Philly might do it with a little push.  I would love seeing the Bills reallocate some funds out of the old DL - into TE and CB.

19 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

You won't be happy if we get Ertz, because I can guarantee he will be brought in above your $1 valuation. 

We do agree though, the FMV for Ertz is complicated.  Elite players coming off an injury filled season are difficult to price.

As for Butler, things changed.  We drafted 2 DL.  If the Bills think like I do, they may feel Butler and his contract are no longer a good fit here.  But Philly has little use for him, they look to be in a rebuild.  So to entice them, and to help muddy up the trade so that Roseman can look better, Philly might do it with a little push.  I would love seeing the Bills reallocate some funds out of the old DL - into TE and CB.

Elite.  Lollllllllllllll.  Unless 15 guys at each position qualify as elite, he never sniffed it.  And he already came back from his injury and sucked out loud.  He is actually “worth” more than $1 due to the vet minimum rule so I realize that anywhere he goes, they will pay him more than that.  

Butler is a DT and we drafted two DEs with a notion that each might be able to slide inside sometime in the future.  Should we trade Tre White because we drafted Hamlin?  They play different positions in the same general area too.

41 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Elite.  Lollllllllllllll.  Unless 15 guys at each position qualify as elite, he never sniffed it.  And he already came back from his injury and sucked out loud.  He is actually “worth” more than $1 due to the vet minimum rule so I realize that anywhere he goes, they will pay him more than that.  

Butler is a DT and we drafted two DEs with a notion that each might be able to slide inside sometime in the future.  Should we trade Tre White because we drafted Hamlin?  They play different positions in the same general area too.

Hold up, are you saying that Zach Ertz has NEVER been elite?

That's a hell of a hot take.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

Hold up, are you saying that Zach Ertz has NEVER been elite?

That's a hell of a hot take.

He ONLY set the single season RECORD for receptions at the position a couple of years ago. Nope, definitely never elite. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Are you really saying he wasn’t ever elite lol?

He are his season catches prior to last year when he was injured:

Roughly 800+ yards and about 6 TD’s per year.

Name 15 other tight ends with that production.

• Like (+1) 1