Lotuleilei Work Out Video: Not retiring [Edit] At Minicamp

31 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Although I would like to see Star sitting down to an all you can buffet to train for the season, I am very happy he is back. The defense is better with him, and he will help Oliver free up to make plays. 

Whatever he weighs is what McDermott and company asked him to do, so since they seem to have a good idea of how to run the team I'll defer to them, even though I love my 350 pound DTs. 

Plenty of time to add 5-10#. Properly at that.  The biggest takeaways are that he’s not a fat slob, not a skinny Minnie, and will play this season. 

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Seemed like someone in the media asked him a question about Star coming back so he showed his teammate support…. Either way the media and fan obsession with the average at best player that is Star, is puzzling to say the least. 

It would indeed be puzzling if he were average. He's not.

He's very good at what he does. What he does, being a space eater, isn't flashy, but it is crucial for this defense. It greatly affects the efficiency and ability of several other players to do their job.

And as has been said a million times before, for the simple reason that it's correct on the face of it, just because it's positive about a teammate does not at all mean it can be ignored.

Anyone with a minimal fraction of a clue can pick out the things that teammates and coaches are forced to say when asked about teammates. When you don't have much positive to say, the thing to do is to go with the Crash Davis book of interview fluff: "He gives 110%. I would want him beside me in an alley fight. He's a guy you want as a teammate. He always gives it his all. Always brings his 'A' Game. He takes it one game at a time. He always acts like he's got something to prove. Always puts the team first. A pro's pro." There are a billion of them and athletes can spew them by the hour.

When you hear those, chances are certainly decent that there's nothing behind them. On the other hand, though, when guys skip out of that framework and start to comment specifically and thoughtfully, ignoring it with the usual, "It's just a teammate talking about his teammate," thing is simply nonsense. It's akin to saying, "I'm just not willing to believe that, as it's not congruent with what I believe."

Yeah, they can't say the guy sucks. But there are a million things you can say that won't get you in trouble for negativity and yet you don't have to commit to specifics. When a guy does, it means something.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 6/10/2021 at 11:41 PM, Richard Noggin said:

If I may, I'm reminded of Hard Knocks with the Rams back when Fisher was still the head coach (and our own Rob Boras was heading the offensive play-calling?)...anyways, who was that DE who believed in Mermaids but NOT dinosaurs? I'll never forget his "logic" about it: the impressive volume of unearthed evidence of dinosaurs (you know, their actual remnants/fossils) was actually suspicious to him, whereas the complete LACK of evidence of mermaids (save for dubious anecdotal accounts) was a sign to him of something suspicious, like a coverup or conspiracy. His logic was entirely inverted. 

I think alternative medicines and treatments sometimes lead people down a similar path, where distrust in the mainstream healthcare machine (which undoubtedly gets things wrong sometimes) becomes belief. Some of it must be the demonstrable efficacy of belief/placebo effect, as you point out. Players find alternative treatments and therapies and medicines that help them more than the standard accepted practices. They both reap the rewards AND feel smarter or more resourceful for circumventing accepted best practice.

Anyways, it's a compelling storyline for this team and for others. I'll do my best to stick to football-related angles on it.

SAMMY WATKINS 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Are you arguing that when height stops increasing that bone growth also stops? Because that's wrong. Bones absolutely can grow from weight-lifting and other types of stress, and they grow more or less depending on the type of lifting or stress.

This is one of the main reasons why old people are told to lift weights. It certainly also helps with muscle growth, but lifting can stop the weakening of bones that often happens in old people and in fact turn it around and make them stronger, lower the chances of broken hips, etc.

I'm a fan of John Wood's Bone Strength Project myself, but just google "lift weights strengthen bones" and you'll get about a million hits.

Muscle is what strengthens most quickly, most observably and by the largest factor, but you can strengthen bones, ligaments, tendons, even cartilage.

No I am not indicating that. When he said growth I thought he was referring to bone growth. Thats why I laughed in his reply. misunderstanding

15 hours ago, Tenhigh said:

So now that we know he is 300-305 was everyone right to laugh at you?

fact is he did loose weight and put it back on.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

fact is he did loose weight and put it back on.

If you're talking about Star, to be considered a fact, there needs to be evidence.  What is your evidence of this?

We've already got you in this thread interpreting me as saying "bone growth", which is either careless reading or poor comprehension - not that there's anything wrong with either form of misunderstanding, but fair or not, it does lower your credibility factor, for me anyway.

23 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

Last year was supposed to be our championship year. He chose to stay home at the END of July!! and let his team down big time. The defense suffered, esp middle of line. Now this year, rumors of his retirement and not showing up to OTAs. Dude is all over the board and he deserted his team during a time of war. 

He has a heart condition. It may have been a difficult decision for him to make but he shouldn’t be shamed for a decision he made for his family at an uncertain, unprecedented  

time.  tre white struggled with it too and if he had been high risk, may have done the same. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

It would indeed be puzzling if he were average. He's not.

He's very good at what he does. What he does, being a space eater, isn't flashy, but it is crucial for this defense. It greatly affects the efficiency and ability of several other players to do their job.

And as has been said a million times before, for the simple reason that it's correct on the face of it, just because it's positive about a teammate does not at all mean it can be ignored.

Anyone with a minimal fraction of a clue can pick out the things that teammates and coaches are forced to say when asked about teammates. When you don't have much positive to say, the thing to do is to go with the Crash Davis book of interview fluff: "He gives 110%. I would want him beside me in an alley fight. He's a guy you want as a teammate. He always gives it his all. Always brings his 'A' Game. He takes it one game at a time. He always acts like he's got something to prove. Always puts the team first. A pro's pro." There are a billion of them and athletes can spew them by the hour.

When you hear those, chances are certainly decent that there's nothing behind them. On the other hand, though, when guys skip out of that framework and start to comment specifically and thoughtfully, ignoring it with the usual, "It's just a teammate talking about his teammate," thing is simply nonsense. It's akin to saying, "I'm just not willing to believe that, as it's not congruent with what I believe."

Yeah, they can't say the guy sucks. But there are a million things you can say that won't get you in trouble for negativity and yet you don't have to commit to specifics. When a guy does, it means something.

You hear that everyone, @Thurman#1 knows that everything the players and coaches said about Star is fact.  It’s so obvious.  If you don’t know, than you don’t have a minimal fraction of a clue.  Facts

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

It's not puzzling at all. He is far better than Zimmer and Phillips. His return allowed them to focus on DE in the draft. His return let's Oliver exclusively play the 3-tech. He's not a superstar but he is an adequate DT that helps the entire rotation.  

Star's return allowed them to focus on DE in the draft?  That's an instant classic. :lol:

chuck2-670x850.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1

Hey @BADOLBILZ, add Matt Milano to the list of Bills lying about Star for unknown reasons:

(From The Buffalo News)

The return of defensive tackle Star Lotulelei should directly benefit Milano, freeing him up to make the type of game-changing plays that landed him that rich new contract in the first place.

It’s huge, man. Star is a beast up there,” Milano said Wednesday on a video conference call after the Bills finished their second practice of minicamp. “He gets the job done. You know he’s going to make some plays, so just having him back up in that middle clogging things up, creating havoc is always good to have.”

You’ll have to fill us in as to why Milano went out of his way to lie so blatantly to a group of reporters.

1 hour ago, eball said:

Hey @BADOLBILZ, add Matt Milano to the list of Bills lying about Star for unknown reasons:

(From The Buffalo News)

The return of defensive tackle Star Lotulelei should directly benefit Milano, freeing him up to make the type of game-changing plays that landed him that rich new contract in the first place.

It’s huge, man. Star is a beast up there,” Milano said Wednesday on a video conference call after the Bills finished their second practice of minicamp. “He gets the job done. You know he’s going to make some plays, so just having him back up in that middle clogging things up, creating havoc is always good to have.”

You’ll have to fill us in as to why Milano went out of his way to lie so blatantly to a group of reporters.

The Bills are full of liars....I won't let my kid watch them.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/15/2021 at 4:25 PM, GoBills808 said:

How can he be 300+ when I read right here he’s clearly lost a ton of weight😂😂😂

It is truly amazing how “fans” get stuck with blinders on in their own echo chamber, and then spout nonsense for months, of course I never do that…, 😂

Go Bills!!!

I don't understand much of this fandom, I really don't.

Not all of you, but just some.

This man would have made us much better last year and he was missed and he will help us, and the players around him, greatly in 2021.

And the above is so obvious to me almost to rise to the level of being a simple truism in considering that although he is not a pro-bowler we are just plain stronger with him, than without him.

All of which above may illicit the retort from some of you, "Go eat a bag of d***s, he sucks."

Overpaid?  Fine, whatever, OK.  Maybe I'll grant you that.  However, how some of you can be so anathema to someone that makes this D better is confounding.  

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

I don't understand much of this fandom, I really don't.

Not all of you, but just some.

This man would have made us much better last year and he was missed and he will help us, and the players around him, greatly in 2021.

And the above is so obvious to me almost to rise to the level of being a simple truism in considering that although he is not a pro-bowler we are just plain stronger with him, than without him.

All of which above my illicit the retort from some of you, "Go eat a bag of d***s, he sucks."

Overpaid?  Fine, whatever, OK.  Maybe I'll grant you that.  However, how some of you can be so anathema to someone that makes this D better is confounding.  

Hey, no talking during the two minutes of hate

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

More excuses. I suggest doing some research before you falsely claim someone has a health condition. This was not an uncertain, unprecedented time; we have been through much worse pandemics.  Tre understood the importance of staying with the team. Star disappointed and wasn’t even in contact with the team until a few weeks ago. He went dark and deserted his team in a time of war. Not a positive personality trait I would want in a teammate or any aquatint, to be honest. 

I’m of the opinion he should’ve retired and really think the team should move on, depending on his dead cap space. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/2047363

Somebody might need to step away from the keyboard for a bit and get some perspective.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1