Name a good Bills player who would have been much better if he had better support.

Lee Evans probably would’ve had bigger numbers if he’d had a steady QB.

I used to feel like EJ Manuel may have flourished under better coaching than Doug Marrone and Nate “Just take off and run if your first read isn’t there” Hackett but I don’t know how much better he would’ve been under another staff. Probably somewhat better. Marrone’s insistence on being a run-first team didn’t do the kid any favors.

I’ll go with a throwback here in a different kind of sense but I always thought Kenny Davis would’ve been a stud if he wasn’t behind Thurm. Those two made a great combination.

Edited by blacklabel

WEEK 13 2002, Drew Bledsoe to Eric Moulds for a whoop, caught a tipped ball for a 70 yard TD IN A BLIZZARD in the second half.

That was my favorite moment of the drought.  A HOF WR if Moulds in his prime was with the real MGK, or JA17 in their prime.  We had a number of great players in bad teams, but this guy was a shame he didn’t have better surrounding talent.

Another good thread Royale.  This is an June excellent thread.

The top ones for me have already been mentioned:

Moulds

Schobel

Fred Jackson

But I would also add Ruben Brown. Brown is already recognized as great, but if he was part of a top offense he would be considered one of, if not the, top guard of his era. 

52 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I’ll go with a throwback here in a different kind of sense but I always thought Kenny Davis would’ve been a stud if he wasn’t behind Thurm. Those two made a great combination.

THE TEXAS TWISTER!!!!!  I was reading through this thinking no one will remember him.  If he wasn't behind Thurm he woulda been DAMN good behind that line.  DAMN good!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

WEEK 13 2002, Drew Bledsoe to Eric Moulds for a whoop, caught a tipped ball for a 70 yard TD IN A BLIZZARD in the second half.

That was my favorite moment of the drought.  A HOF WR if Moulds in his prime was with the real MGK, or JA17 in their prime.  We had a number of great players in bad teams, but this guy was a shame he didn’t have better surrounding talent.

Another good thread Royale.  This is an June excellent thread.

Disagree on Moulds being a HOF talent or that he didn't get enough chances to produce because of the Bills QB play.    If anything the Bills QB's fed him the ball a bit too much at times.   He had 3rd, 4th and 10th NFL rankings in targets during the lamented 2000-2004 years when he was still good.......including 180 in 2002.    He was given a ton of opportunities.

The player he is most comparable too in style and production is Joe Horn.   Horn got a later start than Moulds but caught more TD's and had a higher ypc.   Their primes are similar.   Also similar style, but Horn is more memorable because of his TD celebrations and now having a son in the league.   Horn didn't have great QB play either.  

The best players from the drought actually ended up on different teams.     Jason Peters is a HOF'er.    And Marshawn Lynch has a much better chance at the HOF than any drought era Bill other than Peters.       

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The first player that comes to mind is Eric Moulds.  He had an end of career Kelly, a bad Todd Collins, a bad Rob Johnson, not so good Flutie, a shot Bledsoe and a bad JP Losman throwing to him....yet he still put up good numbers.  Any other QB I'm missing?

I think if Moulds had at least a decent QB to throw to him, he would be looked at as one of the greats.  He would be known at the same level as Marvin Harrison and Tory Holt who were in his same era.  But with the QB's throwing to him, he is really only still remembered by Bills fans.

Who you got?

You nailed it.  Eric Moulds was the first name that sprung to mind.

He was so damn good...what a shame.

Bledsoe, he set team records in 2002 when he had Moulds, Price and Travis Henry.  In 2003 they let Price go and ruined a great dynamic and also failed to get a decent TE.  Josh Reed was no Peerless Price.  Fans blame Bledsoe, but other than Moulds/Henry, what did he have?  That and the Defense sucked.  

I feel like it has to be Schobel.  Never has there been such a miscellaneous Buffalo Bill with such statistics.  He is second on the Bills in all-time sacks with more than a half a sack a game over about 130 games.  Pretty much a model of consistency and he walked-off early on his career after a 10 sack performance.  #81 in sacks all-time NFL with an abbreviated career and missing most of one of his seasons.

He played during the real dregs of the drought.  The defense was really bad through a lot of his career and he watched some all-pros walk out the door (Winfield, Clements, Williams).  

Him and his family were/are very nice people, down to earth.

If he played for a real NFL team in his career and/or had a lot of support in the front 7, he seemingly could have really been a household name and a fan favorite.  Im a huge Bills fan, and I can barely recollect him even playing here.

Edited by May Day 10

I'll go to my deathbed pounding the table for James Hardy (R.I.P.), so he feels like a good answer to this question. How in the world were we expecting a vertical/jump ball threat WR to succeed when we were employing a QB afraid to throw the ball beyond the LOS??? Such a Billsy thing to do in that era of utter incompetence... 

He certainly had his demons, but had things gone his way, I think those could've been overcome as well... 

18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Disagree on Moulds being a HOF talent or that he didn't get enough chances to produce because of the Bills QB play.    If anything the Bills QB's fed him the ball a bit too much at times.   He had 3rd, 4th and 10th NFL rankings in targets during the lamented 2000-2004 years when he was still good.......including 180 in 2002.    He was given a ton of opportunities.

Targets doesn't mean they were great throws.  

Joe Horn had Aaron Brooks who, aside from Drew's first year and half, was better than any QB Buffalo fielded during that span.  He threw a lot of ints, but also threw for a lot of yards (for that era).  

I think JP Losman might have made it if he went to a team built to win. IDK, I badly wanted the Bills to trade up and get Rothlesburger and of course, we didn't..... But JP seemed like a winner to me.... Donahoe might have been the worst GM ever here in Buffalo letting go of Winfield and Pat Williams in favor of a broke-down Lawyer Milloy....

IDK, maybe he drafted a lousy QB too? We'll never know.....

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The player he is most comparable too in style and production is Joe Horn.   Horn got a later start than Moulds but caught more TD's and had a higher ypc.   Their primes are similar.   Also similar style, but Horn is more memorable because of his TD celebrations and now having a son in the league.   Horn didn't have great QB play either.  

The best players from the drought actually ended up on different teams.     Jason Peters is a HOF'er.    And Marshawn Lynch has a much better chance at the HOF than any drought era Bill other than Peters.       

No doubt here that Marshawn belongs in the Hall of FAME.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billybrew1 said:

I think JP Losman might have made it if he went to a team built to win. IDK, I badly wanted the Bills to trade up and get Rothlesburger and of course, we didn't..... But JP seemed like a winner to me.... Donahoe might have been the worst GM ever here in Buffalo letting go of Winfield and Pat Williams in favor of a broke-down Lawyer Milloy....

IDK, maybe he drafted a lousy QB too? We'll never know.....

When that draft season started Rivers was a projected 3rd rounder and I was in love with him.  I wanted him badly to go to the Bills.

I didn't want Losman but he won me over in the 2nd half of the 06 season and I thought he was close to turning the corner.  Then Wilfork had a cheap shot on his knee that made me hate him the rest of his career and Losman never advanced himself.  In another Ralph is cheap moment, rumors were that Losman was sat for Edwards so he didn't reach certain incentives.  I like that as an answer

Schobel is another good one but I think he WAS a very good player.  With better pieces around him I think he would have a better reputation among opposing fans but nothing should be taken away from how good he was on some bad teams.  He was the only player opposing offenses needed to shut down and he still excelled.

I'm going to throw another name in the ring.  Marcel Dareus.  If he had from the beginning this culture, I think he would have been an absolute terror.  We saw flashes of what he could be but I stand firmly behind the idea that Rex's easygoing ways were the worst possible thing for him.  He needed a strict no nonsense coach to keep him motivated and engaged similar to what he had in Saban at Bama.