Name a good Bills player who would have been much better if he had better support.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think there was so much wrong on some of those Bills teams it is a hard question to answer. I only saw the last 2 or 3 years of Moulds but agree he is in the conversation. The first Bills season I watched was the Bledsoe and Moulds year and he had like 10 touchdowns. Imagine if he had competent QB play his whole career!?! 

If I am going to go for someone a bit left field I think had Nigel Bradham benefitted from more consistency in scheme and role in his early years he is a guy that the Bills would have given a second contract to and he'd have had a decent payday. Instead he was always seen as a bit part because he was moved around a ton and the scheme flipped every year. Worked out for him as he was a starter on the Eagles' Superbowl team.

So I’m guessing you remember Pat Williams.

He goes to Minnesota and with him and Kevin Williams…created the best interior DL in football for a few years.  Kevin absolutely benefited with Pat there.

What would think of Kyle Williams if he had Pat next to him in his earlier year?

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I have defended Dareus and given McD crap for not coaching him up and taking the easy way out by trading him.  However it's wrong to say he had no role models. He had Kyle Williams playing next to him.  He had Hughes who by all reports is a good locker room guy.  Maybe if McD and Frazier had been his initial coaches instead of Ryan it could have turned out better.  Dareus is one of many NFL players to get the second contract signing bonus and then give up. He won't be the last.   I still suspect given the right circumstance Dareus could still play at a high level.   At least be solid rotation guy.  

All Kyle Williams and Jerry Hughes knew before McD came to town was how to lose. By the time McD arrived, Dareus was already ruined.

To both Kyle and Jerry’s credit though, they did buy into the program. :thumbsup:

40 minutes ago, Haslett_Stomp said:

Fred.

Smerlas?  Cause it ain’t Jackson. That dude totally maxed his potential. He was good, not great. Way overrated by the fans. I know that’s not a popular statement. He has a great backstory. Seems like a good dude. Played his ass off every game. But he wasn’t elite. 

• Disagree 2

That's an easy one.....Aaron Schobel.

The man was an excellent pass rusher and for a while, he was the only capable pass rusher we had. He also played for idiotic coaches who would line him up wide to where he was almost on the sidelines, and even send him out into coverage.

AS followed Bruce Smith, so he was under appreciated by many fans, but that man could play. 

On a team that had other pass rushers that had to be accounted for, Schobel would have been a consistent pro bowl player.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, boater said:

Joe Ferguson was a great QB and had a budget roster around him.

The "Ralph is cheap" quips have some weight.

🤮! You could’ve given Ferguson Reed, Moulds, Peerless and Lee Evans and still gotten the penguin walking, dropped head QB that you seen playing in that era. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Important to note that Moulds was on 3 playoff teams in his first 4 seasons.......he just didn't show up to play until year 3.

The lamented years of 2000-2004.....after which Moulds fell off a cliff..........he actually had more passes thrown to him than Tory Holt.    Holt came into the league ready to go.   He put 1800 more yards in his first two seasons than Moulds did in his.    Just a better player,  WR, teammate and person.   

There is no comparison with Marvin Harrison in terms of talent.........he was an elite route runner with great speed.     Moulds was a hack by comparison.    Johnson and Bledsoe actually played perfectly into Moulds game as a guy who just liked to run deep routes but also required a QB who would just throw it up for grabs because Moulds often could not separate.    A guy like Peyton Manning would not have appreciated having to throw passes into harms way to cater to Moulds.  

I don't think any of the players during "the drought" were very personally harmed by being on a bad team.    Aaron Schobel probably would have put up more sacks and gotten more press on a good team.........but he called it quits 2-3 years too soon so it shouldn't be a big lament of fans.    

Please enlighten us on how Holt was a better person than Moulds. Inquiring minds want to know.

16 minutes ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

Please enlighten us on how Holt was a better person than Moulds. Inquiring minds want to know.

https://apnews.com/article/e496aca20551a892a78277949f57a401

https://www.amherstbee.com/articles/ex-bills-player-arrested-friday/

https://www.nytimes.com/1997/06/17/sports/bills-moulds-fined-for-attacks.html

Thug.

Edited by Rico
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BuffaninSarasota said:

Crap. Should have remembered this stuff ….thx

Yeah if you were an adult at the time you should probably have remembered that he kept the Bills team attorney very busy early in his career and the talk going into camp in 1998 wasn't if Moulds would break out it was if the Bills were going to cut him.    

A lot of the Moulds worshippers on here were a little too young at the time to know about what a low-life he was off the field.

The incident with the assault on the female........he reportedly had her lifted off her feet by the neck.

IMO his 1998 season was the most dominant performance by a Bills WR ever though........IMO even more dominant than Diggs last season........he was big, fast, quick and powerful.    But he wasn't smart about training either........he kept putting on muscle and his legs got heavy and he lost speed, quickness and flexibility.  

Defense-Schobel was decent on some awful lines, and would have been great on this current line or even the 2013-2014 one.    Even Kelsay would have been a perfectly fine rotation player on this squad, he just took a lot of heat due to being vastly overrated by the team ownership and counted on to do way too much. 

Offense, Moulds is an obvious one, but Lynch could have done great things with this current Bills team.  Fitzpatrick did okay for himself given who he had to throw to between 2010 and 2012.    He would have been an ideal backup to Allen(although I am happy with Trubisky).

Karlos the Killa

If only he had a good mentor that pushed him to be a responsible, hard working athlete, take care of his body and train properly.

Instead he got a lazy pregnant wife who wanted him to stay home and eat with her.   That dude had some serious natural talent, he did better his rookie year than Derrick Henry did by far.

18 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The first player that comes to mind is Eric Moulds.  He had an end of career Kelly, a bad Todd Collins, a bad Rob Johnson, not so good Flutie, a shot Bledsoe and a bad JP Losman throwing to him....yet he still put up good numbers.  Any other QB I'm missing?

I think if Moulds had at least a decent QB to throw to him, he would be looked at as one of the greats.  He would be known at the same level as Marvin Harrison and Tory Holt who were in his same era.  But with the QB's throwing to him, he is really only still remembered by Bills fans.

Who you got?

My thoughts exactly.  With better support we're talking HOF not WOF!