Name a good Bills player who would have been much better if he had better support.

Marshawn Lynch.

I wonder what would have happened if he had a decent play-caller and an opportunity to contribute in meaningful playoff and championship football games.

I guess we'll never know.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Lee Evans.

The guy could get open deep with the cb trailing him by 10 yards. Losman hit him a lot on deep routes, but he could have been the best receiver in the league if he had a top 10 quarterback.

He was never really close to a complete receiver though. I liked him a lot, but he was never an elite route runner or someone who could make contested catches.

• Like (+1) 1

I will say Stevie. He would have been great in the role Beasley plays now because he was always open underneath but he was forced to be the defacto #1. Plus the QB play didnt help

Edited by jletha
  • Like (+1) 1

Early days:

• Also WRs - Marlin Briscoe and Bob Chandler. 
  • Though he had a great playing career, OJ's first 3 years (year 2 he got hurt) were wasted. Imagine if Saban had been here from the beginning of his career.
  • Tony Greene and late 70-80s, Charles Romes

Later:

• Moulds for sure

I think there was so much wrong on some of those Bills teams it is a hard question to answer. I only saw the last 2 or 3 years of Moulds but agree he is in the conversation. The first Bills season I watched was the Bledsoe and Moulds year and he had like 10 touchdowns. Imagine if he had competent QB play his whole career!?! 

If I am going to go for someone a bit left field I think had Nigel Bradham benefitted from more consistency in scheme and role in his early years he is a guy that the Bills would have given a second contract to and he'd have had a decent payday. Instead he was always seen as a bit part because he was moved around a ton and the scheme flipped every year. Worked out for him as he was a starter on the Eagles' Superbowl team.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Lee Evans.

The guy could get open deep with the cb trailing him by 10 yards. Losman hit him a lot on deep routes, but he could have been the best receiver in the league if he had a top 10 quarterback.

So true...on a better team, with a better QB, he would have been a household name.  His rookie year, playing with a badly deteriorated Drew Bledsoe, you could see the potential.  He and JP had some chemistry that flashed at times.  But the offense, in general during his time, was so anemic. And once he was "the guy" for the Bills, WR wise, there was never really "ANOTHER GUY", to take defensive attention away from him.  Roscoe Parrish and Josh Reed, both kind of "JAGS" were really his only support. The one year T.O. was in town, was when Evans stats dropped a lot...and then Stevie Johnson became the guy. 

1 hour ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Lee Evans.

He went to some other teams and didn't do much, though.

35 minutes ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

He was never really close to a complete receiver though. I liked him a lot, but he was never an elite route runner or someone who could make contested catches.

He absolutely could make contested catches. He had really strong hands

He pulled in a bomb over three Miami dolphin defenders one time if I recall correctly

Just now, MJS said:

He went to some other teams and didn't do much, though.

We traded him to Baltimore when he was 30 years old. 

He was a speed receiver who lost a step.. his career was over by that time

• Agree 2

Maybe I'll go with Terrance McGee? Heck of a corner who had to play on some really bad teams and never got the recognition he deserved. He was a great returner too.

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, Logic said:

Marshawn Lynch.

I wonder what would have happened if he had a decent play-caller and an opportunity to contribute in meaningful playoff and championship football games.

I guess we'll never know.

Yeah imagine if we had drafted Dez Bryant instead of Spiller. That offense could have been a whole lot better with Fitz, Lynch/Jackson, Bryant, SJ13 and Chandler. 

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, BuffaloCajun said:

Phil Hansen

Huh?  Maybe my sarcasm meter is on the blink.

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think there was so much wrong on some of those Bills teams it is a hard question to answer. I only saw the last 2 or 3 years of Moulds but agree he is in the conversation. The first Bills season I watched was the Bledsoe and Moulds year and he had like 10 touchdowns. Imagine if he had competent QB play his whole career!?! 

If I am going to go for someone a bit left field I think had Nigel Bradham benefitted from more consistency in scheme and role in his early years he is a guy that the Bills would have given a second contract to and he'd have had a decent payday. Instead he was always seen as a bit part because he was moved around a ton and the scheme flipped every year. Worked out for him as he was a starter on the Eagles' Superbowl team.

A popular line at the time..."guns don't kill people.  Nigel Bradham kills people."

Edited by eball
  • Awesome! (+1) 1