Sumbody in The Windy City not happy about Mitch Trubisky!

7 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

People who write words about sports write articles to incite people, not to contribute value. 

Every time you get upset about something like this, they win. 

Well, most of us knew Jerry Sullivan.  Mr. Morrissey, you're no Jerry Sullivan.

I sincerely do not know who I insulted more with that observation. 🤔 And absolutely no reflection on jeremy2020.

3 hours ago, Utah John said:

People forget that it's the job of defensive coordinators to solve problems.  Lamar Jackson still has all the talents he had when he was MVP, but DCs have figured out how to neutralize him.  Sooner or later, this happens to most of the good players and good teams, unless they can keep re-inventing themselves.  

We have to assume the DCs in NE, Miami, and New Jersey have spent time this offseason watching Bills tape and working up ways to slow down Josh Allen.  I hope that Allen and Daboll have been spending time working up new ways for Allen to excel.  

The NFL is a dynamic, quickly-evolving environment.  

As for Mitch, he like anyone else needs to be in a good situation that lets him play to his strengths.  Will he find his footing in Buffalo?  As long as he doesn't find it and then move on to another AFCE team next year, that would be great.

While this is off-topic, I recall a quick nugget or two from OTAs this week about in-breaking routes being a new wrinkle/focus for the passing game. Apparently something we've not featured much or at least excelled at yet? Not sure about the veracity of that. Anyways, it's one way to stay ahead of defensive adjustments: continually evolve the offense so opposing DCs can't simply "catch up." Sure seemed like defenses in the playoffs had a decent grasp on what the Bills were trying to do on offense (that. and banged up WRs of course). 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Kwai San said:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2021/6/9/22526468/practice-continues-to-make-mitch-trubisky-perfect-this-time-in-buffalo-matt-nagy-bears-josh-allen

Wow!  Who who peed in this guys wheaties?  Interesting the venom he has towards Mitch.....altho in his favor we have all seen many a Camp Warrior only to see nada on the Sunday's that count.

Mods please delete if this was already posted......I searched and didn't see anything.....

Whatever that article might say, there are two undeniable facts:

a. Mitch is being paid a measly 2.5 mill and is our backup (unlike Chicago)

b. Mitch is a significant upgrade over our erstwhile #2, Matt Barkley

How quickly the Bears forget that Mitch actually was 29-23 (56%) in career starts. That is a better lifetime record than Matt Ryan, Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, Ryan Tannehill, Fitzpatrick, Carr, Cousins, Wentz, Foles, Watson, Mariota, Tuhrod and Murray.

14 hours ago, MrSarcasm said:

To be fair, the same thing happened here with Peterman

Even if that was a comment partly in jest, it is so grossly wrong. Trubisky is 29-23 as a starter! How can ya even compare Peterman to Trubisky?

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Poor analogy. 

Trubisky QB'd the Bears to a 12-4 record in 2018 and the NFC North division championship in 2018.  They had a top-10 offense on points that year.  Trubisky didn't look like Pat Mahomes, but he also looked reasonable - like a QB a team with a strong defense could win with. 

I didn't see enough of the Bears to know for sure, but my impression is that Nagy's offense got "solved" somewhat (like McVay in Cali) and Everyone but Nagy became the scapegoat - Helfrich, the Rams OC, got kicked to the curb for Bill Lazor.  Trubisky, the hoped-for Franchise Man, got kicked to the curb for Foles (who had already washed out as the starter with 4 different teams - talk about doing the same thing and expecting a different result).

Frankly, Trubisky has not been that bad of a QB.  He doesn't turn the ball over too much to win, he completes enough passes.  If he was checking down too much in 2019, it begs the question why and what changed elsewhere on the team that had him doing that, because he did better the year before. 

Peterdude, on the other hand, has set records for poor or incompetent QB play whenever he's seen the field.

This reporter's screed says more about him and about the Bears than it does about Mitch.

One of my best friends is a huge Bears fan. I have seen a lot of Trubisky play.  He isnt a total stiff...there is something there to like about him...but he never seems to quite turn the corner. In his defense, the Bears offense is just a mess overall, and has been for sometime, Trubisky has had some good players around him, but not great players. I think of him as a little like Josh Allen in the early part of his career. He has sort of the same skill set as Allen, just to a slightly lesser degree: the arm isnt as strong, but it is more than adequate. He can run.  He just never got to that "turn the corner" game...

Late in 2018 season, til about the Browns game of 2019, Josh was showing some flashes, but still inconsistent.   After that Browns game came the Cowboys Thanksgiving Day game. To me, that is where Allen took the next step.  That is sort of where Trubisky is stuck....he needs to put a team on his proverbial back, and just get the feeling of confidence.  No doubt, Trubisky sees what happened with Josh, and came to Buffalo hoping to get that feeling. Granted, he will {hopefully} be on the bench for any meaningful football, but just being around it, with no pressure...being the QB of the Chicago Bears is a pretty high-profile gig for a guy to learn in. 

• Like (+1) 1

So I expect the Bills to eventually describe Mitch as the greatest No. 2 quarterback in league history. But, trust me, that designation will be impossible as long as Justin Fields is the Bears’ backup quarterback to Andy Dalton.

Because this guy knows for a fact, before taking a single NFL snap in training camp or preseason, that Justin Fields is without question the best #2 option in the league 🙄

I'm wondering if this guy is aware they could've had Mahomes or Watson and not traded up.

Edit:  I dm'd him in his twitter account.  He's WELL aware and not the kindest person.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Haha (+1) 3

The author wrote an opinion piece in the off-season about a QB who failed to live up to expectations and hype as a savior, a team that went 8-8 two years in a row, a QB (like Peterman) who played well in practice.

It’s a fair opinion as far as opinions go. I could see our own reporters (or us) writing something similar if the role was reversed.

On 6/10/2021 at 9:11 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Poor analogy. 

Trubisky QB'd the Bears to a 12-4 record in 2018 and the NFC North division championship in 2018.  They had a top-10 offense on points that year.  Trubisky didn't look like Pat Mahomes, but he also looked reasonable - like a QB a team with a strong defense could win with. 

I didn't see enough of the Bears to know for sure, but my impression is that Nagy's offense got "solved" somewhat (like McVay in Cali) and Everyone but Nagy became the scapegoat - Helfrich, the Rams OC, got kicked to the curb for Bill Lazor.  Trubisky, the hoped-for Franchise Man, got kicked to the curb for Foles (who had already washed out as the starter with 4 different teams - talk about doing the same thing and expecting a different result).

Frankly, Trubisky has not been that bad of a QB.  He doesn't turn the ball over too much to win, he completes enough passes.  If he was checking down too much in 2019, it begs the question why and what changed elsewhere on the team that had him doing that, because he did better the year before. 

Peterdude, on the other hand, has set records for poor or incompetent QB play whenever he's seen the field.

This reporter's screed says more about him and about the Bears than it does about Mitch.

Bisky is the Bears EJ. He can’t adjust and didn’t improve. He’s a mess. 

If the Bills had traded up for a QB who kinda stinks over a HoFer and another top 5 QB, we’d be mad too.