Chris Hogan finally getting to play his sport

I think they did a great job changing to a tour rather than home games.  Very smart. But I'll watch indoor lacrosse or NCAA any day over this product.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Irv said:

I think they did a great job changing to a tour rather than home games.  Very smart. But I'll watch indoor lacrosse or NCAA any day over this product.  

I love all types of lacrosse, but I really enjoy box lacrosse.  Grew up playing on the Onondaga Res with and against the Red Hawks.  

A couple HS lax coaches and I are working hard to start the first USBOXLA sanctioned HS box lacrosse league in Vermont.  Starting slow but picking up steam, and the idea is that our league will soon be a feeder league for semi-pro indoor leagues in New England and Quebec.  Once the kids start playing true Canadian style box lacrosse they’re hooked.  Faster and more physical.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I love all types of lacrosse, but I really enjoy box lacrosse.  Grew up playing on the Onondaga Res with and against the Red Hawks.  

A couple HS lax coaches and I are working hard to start the first USBOXLA sanctioned HS box lacrosse league in Vermont.  Starting slow but picking up steam, and the idea is that our league will soon be a feeder league for semi-pro indoor leagues in New England and Quebec.  Once the kids start playing true Canadian style box lacrosse they’re hooked.  Faster and more physical.  

Rick Dudley spent the off seasons from the NHL playing box lacrosse.  Good to see you promoting development at the high school level.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

What's the difference between Canadian style and the American style?  I tried lookng on the net but couldn't find anything.  The only thing I noticed is that they sometimes play on concrete north of the border.  I played outdoor in high school and college and indoor during the summers.  I enjoyed the indoor game becuase it was faster and less running than I did playing outdoor as a midfielder.  It pretty rough. When I played (In the 80's) cross checking inside the arc was legal even without the ball and fighting common.  Also the rink owners did not have AC and it was f-ing hot in there.    There was a pro team called the Grey Wolves in my town (Rochester) and I played with some of those guys and they knew all the tricks. A lot of fun   

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

The bolded is simply not true.  In their inaugural season they nearly sold out every event in their 12 city touring event.  The only ones that didn’t completely sell out were the few huge venues like Gillette.  

A couple months ago, when tickets went on sale for the first 6 cities of this year’s touring season, most venues sold out within 20-30 minutes.  When tickets for Albany went on sale two weeks ago, the first 2 levels of the stadium sold out in 16 minutes.  

Are you thinking of the MLL perhaps?

Yes and I DO stand corrected!!  Thanks for that....

• Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Irv said:

What's the difference between Canadian style and the American style?  I tried lookng on the net but couldn't find anything.  The only thing I noticed is that they sometimes play on concrete north of the border.  I played outdoor in high school and college and indoor during the summers.  I enjoyed the indoor game becuase it was faster and less running than I did playing outdoor as a midfielder.  It pretty rough. When I played (In the 80's) cross checking inside the arc was legal even without the ball and fighting common.  Also the rink owners did not have AC and it was f-ing hot in there.    There was a pro team called the Grey Wolves in my town (Rochester) and I played with some of those guys and they knew all the tricks. A lot of fun   

Wow the Grey Wolves - that brings back memories.  When my wife and I were huge Knighthawks fans we went to a few games in Canada and the indoor games were like a battle royal, bodies flying, fists pumping!  The afterwards everyone standing around drinking like the game never happened!  We went simply cuz a few of the K-Hawk players were on the teams up there.  Rules were loosely the same but the game was more INTENSE all around.  Like hockey, they take their lax seriously up there!!!

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, Irv said:

Yeah, saying “Canadian style” box lacrosse has become somewhat of a habit.  Box lacrosse is box lacrosse...unless you’re playing field lacrosse style in the rink.  

Canadian style does refer somewhat to playing on the concrete, as that’s what the Canadians/natives did in the summer time in the rinks that couldn’t afford to keep the ice down year round.  We have an indoor and an outdoor site.

We have a older fella from Quebec who is considered “The Godfather” of box lacrosse in Vermont.  He frequently does player clinics and coach trainings for us and often references the Canadian game...especially to the players.  “Stop playing field lacrosse in the box!” he often shouts in the rink.  Mainly referring to the style of play.  More basketball style offense with quick passing, pick and roll game, lots of off ball movement and rotation.  As opposed to more of an isolation offense that is more common today in field lacrosse.  That’s what I meant.  

I grew up in Auburn, NY and we played field lacrosse in the hockey rink in the summer time.  Playing with the Onondagas was eye opening for me in terms of what the game really was supposed to be.

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Yes and I DO stand corrected!!  Thanks for that....

Wasn’t meaning to be a dork...haha.  I just get tired of the narrative that the game of lacrosse needs guys like Chris Hogan to put butts in the seats.  

I know that’s not what you were referring to, and I agree that the MLL had it all wrong and struggled to sell tickets.  I guess that’s why the MLL no longer exists.  I don’t know that lacrosse will ever be a “mainstream” sport, and to be honest, I don’t know that I want it to be 🤷🏾‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Wasn’t meaning to be a dork...haha.  I just get tired of the narrative that the game of lacrosse needs guys like Chris Hogan to put butts in the seats.  

I know that’s not what you were referring to, and I agree that the MLL had it all wrong and struggled to sell tickets.  I guess that’s why the MLL no longer exists.  I don’t know that lacrosse will ever be a “mainstream” sport, and to be honest, I don’t know that I want it to be 🤷🏾‍♂️

No worries mate!! - my wife and I were in a bar last nite jamming to some blues and this premier popped up on a TV in there so it looks like even in Sunny Bradenton I will be able to see the games....so we are kinda pumped about that.  LAX is NOT a sport that relates well on TV though.  At least in my opine.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Yeah, saying “Canadian style” box lacrosse has become somewhat of a habit.  Box lacrosse is box lacrosse...unless you’re playing field lacrosse style in the rink.  

Canadian style does refer somewhat to playing on the concrete, as that’s what the Canadians/natives did in the summer time in the rinks that couldn’t afford to keep the ice down year round.  We have an indoor and an outdoor site.

We have a older fella from Quebec who is considered “The Godfather” of box lacrosse in Vermont.  He frequently does player clinics and coach trainings for us and often references the Canadian game...especially to the players.  “Stop playing field lacrosse in the box!” he often shouts in the rink.  Mainly referring to the style of play.  More basketball style offense with quick passing, pick and roll game, lots of off ball movement and rotation.  As opposed to more of an isolation offense that is more common today in field lacrosse.  That’s what I meant.  

I grew up in Auburn, NY and we played field lacrosse in the hockey rink in the summer time.  Playing with the Onondagas was eye opening for me in terms of what the game really was supposed to be.

The box players are amazing.  Great vision and teamwork and ability to take a pounding, keep the ball, and still have vision to pass.  Dating myself, but we focuses on a few key things in field lacrosse:

1. Solid faceoff strategy
  2. Good team defense with communications
  3. Innovative clearing the ball with lot's of attack/ midfield swaps/tricks to confuse the riders on Offside situations
  4. Unbeatable fast break plays and also getting to the hole on defensive Offside
  5. Getting the ball behind on all offense set plays and working plays up top until they were not there and working plays from behind to get a good shot. 
  6. Bounce shot, bounce shot, bounce shot.

You could not take the shots this kids take now but time marches on. My first stic was  Brine PL66.  

• Like (+1) 2

For those interested in watching Chris Hogan play with the best in the world, the Cannons will be playing the two time reigning champs, the Whipsnakes, today at noon on NBC.  It’s my understanding that he’ll be playing short stick defensive middie, but he may get some scoring opportunities in transition.  The Whipsnakes are absolutely loaded on offense, so it will be a good test to see if Chris can really hang (at least defensively) with the best.

On 6/10/2021 at 4:53 AM, machine gun kelly said:

Happy for him.  I wonder if on NBC nationally or just to that area.  If national, I might watch with my sons.  They were both lax players and my oldest had a full ride in a D1 school, so spent hundreds of hours on those fields after football fields.

Form the good thing about lax is I’m just Dad, not a coach.  My boys would teach me what was happening, and they liked it.

Nice! Lax is really fun to play...so many different ways to be good.

This league is super interesting in that they all travel together and play a bunch of games in one place...like a tournament each week basically. I think at least, I was reading about a new league that was starting a bit back and assuming this is the one, especially with the lack of a city in the team name.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 6/11/2021 at 9:11 AM, Irv said:

Growing up I watched quite a few Grey Wolves games at Lakeshore Rinks. Fast and physical and I loved it.

• 1 month later...