Madrid wants to organize an NFL game at the new Bernabéu before 2025

15 hours ago, uticaclub said:

I get your point and wouldn't want to lose a home game for it but they have to travel to Seattle or Western Europe, it's that much of a difference, they arent flying Spirit.

I am actually in favor of the 17th game being played at netural international site followed by a bye in addition to another bye week in schedule

It's 3750 miles by air to Madrid with a six hour time difference.

It's 2125 to Seattle with a three hour time difference.

Additionally, because of the rules of the North Atlantic Track System, there are time restrictions to be followed when going east and when coming back. If not in those time slots, a longer route must be flown, or non optimum altitudes used, require more time.

Of course they fly charters, but Madrid is more of an issue than London.

On 6/10/2021 at 3:37 AM, Mark Vader said:

I get a kick out of hearing the local English fans announce picks for the Jacksonville Jag-U-ars during the NFL Drawft.

They make it sound so regal.

We should teach them that they should be saying "Jagwires". If American English was good enough for Jesus, it can be good enough for them.

On 6/10/2021 at 5:26 AM, machine gun kelly said:

I think the Jets and Texans are available or maybe the Lions.

(sad as we were in that class for 17 years)

Bills had to deal with far worse in being sent to Toronto in the same kind of arrangement as the Jags.

On 6/10/2021 at 9:34 AM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.ed2b323333f671638c5b200b2a016e19.jpeg

That thing looks like my mother's Sunbeam electric frying pan, circa 1965. 🤔

Looks like it could make a mean panini

• Haha (+1) 3

15 hours ago, BritBill said:

Went to Madrid and the Bernabeu in November 2005. It was quite cold. So I took the big coat to the match. 5 minutes in sat in the top tier and I was sweating like a hippo in power shower. Looked up and there were heaters in the stand roof. Should’ve worn shorts and t-shirt.

Madrid won 5-0. Goal scorers were Figo, Ronaldo (the original) x 2, Beckham and Owen. Lovely stuff. 

Ah I remember those days when they just stole every good player from everyone and most declined. Michael Owen on Liverpool was probably my favourite player of all time. I feel he'd have Gerrard status if he'd stayed long term. Ronaldo looked way better in Inter's blue and black, as well. Pretty sure Real had those hideous white kits with the weird stencil lettering at the time.

Edited by Boxcar

Perfect excuse for a vacation to Spain - all we need for Boom Supersonic to be ready by 2025 (and a crowdfund page to pay for the ticket).  

Of course, if we're going to play in Spain, can they build a stadium in Mallorca?

Went to Barcelona a couple years ago, it was a great trip and wonderful city to visit.  Save for the Catalan protests happening literally in front of our hotel - nothing like rioters, flash bang grenades and Molotov cocktails to up the adventure level of a vacation... :beer:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Heitz said:

Perfect excuse for a vacation to Spain - all we need for Boom Supersonic to be ready by 2025 (and a crowdfund page to pay for the ticket).  

Of course, if we're going to play in Spain, can they build a stadium in Mallorca?

Went to Barcelona a couple years ago, it was a great trip and wonderful city to visit.  Save for the Catalan protests happening literally in front of our hotel - nothing like rioters, flash bang grenades and Molotov cocktails to up the adventure level of a vacation... :beer:

My entire family is from Spain. You basically just described our family reunions whenever religion or politics are brought up. 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/10/2021 at 8:15 AM, Mark Vader said:

I'm sure the NFL will mix it up when they have games in Germany. The NFL fans there will want big games.

The NFL don't really have a choice until they change the rules to force teams to go. They've survived recently in London using the rule that relocated teams and SuperBowl hosts have to host an international game. To expand the international series significantly will require a fundamental rule change 

On 6/10/2021 at 8:33 AM, GunnerBill said:

now have a pretty strong one.  

Not really. Whilst it's grown, the most recent survey of fan support doesn't even have the Jags in the top 10 of UK supported teams. They have a strong media impact, but in terms of actually generating fans, the data suggests its been far less successful than they would like you to believe 

Edited by Mountain Man

5 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

The NFL don't really have a choice until they change the rules to force teams to go. They've survived recently in London using the rule that relocated teams and SuperBowl hosts have to host an international game. To expand the international series significantly will require a fundamental rule change 

Not really. Whilst it's grown, the most recent survey of fan support doesn't even have the Jags in the top 10 of UK supported teams. They have a strong media impact, but in terms of actually generating fans, the data suggests its been far less successful than they would like you to believe 

Interesting on the survey. I didn't know that - do you have a link? But I definitely meet a lot of Jags fans in and about London these days in a way I never did 10 years ago. 

Edit: a quick google suggests 4th in UK merchandise sales - https://frontofficesports.com/jacksonville-jaguars-london/

Now that doesn't necessarily mean they must be top 10 support wise because unquestionably their fanbase in the UK is younger and London based - which tends to mean more affluent (so able to buy merchandise) - whereas the NFL fanbase nationally still includes a lot of the "channel 4" generation who started watching in the 80s.

Edited by GunnerBill

37 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Interesting on the survey. I didn't know that - do you have a link? But I definitely meet a lot of Jags fans in and about London these days in a way I never did 10 years ago. 

Edit: a quick google suggests 4th in UK merchandise sales - https://frontofficesports.com/jacksonville-jaguars-london/

Now that doesn't necessarily mean they must be top 10 support wise because unquestionably their fanbase in the UK is younger and London based - which tends to mean more affluent (so able to buy merchandise) - whereas the NFL fanbase nationally still includes a lot of the "channel 4" generation who started watching in the 80s.

https://yougov.co.uk/ratings/sport/popularity/american-football-teams/all

Its done by the polling agency YouGov who do lots of surveys etc and has been done on a regular basis. 

An earlier version was referenced by SI, so suggest its credible 

https://www.si.com/nfl/dolphins/news/miami-dolphins-top-poll-for-favorite-nfl-team-in-united-kingdom#:~:text=The Dolphins were chosen as,Cowboys and New England Patriots.

Edited by Mountain Man

14 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

https://yougov.co.uk/ratings/sport/popularity/american-football-teams/all

Its done by the polling agency YouGov who do lots of surveys etc and has been done on a regular basis. 

An earlier version was referenced by SI, so suggest its credible 

https://www.si.com/nfl/dolphins/news/miami-dolphins-top-poll-for-favorite-nfl-team-in-united-kingdom#:~:text=The Dolphins were chosen as,Cowboys and New England Patriots.

Yea YouGov are definitely credible. Even so I'd argue 18th in popularity and 4th in merchandising sales is pretty successful. They started 32nd. 

No surprise to me that most of that top 10 are teams who were good in the late 80s and early 90s. That is the channel 4 generation. 

On 6/10/2021 at 10:58 PM, B-Man said:

Madrid wants to organize an NFL game at the new Bernabéu before 2025

I vote no.

Enough with overseas games

Bad for players,

Bad for fans,

Good for owners pockets.

You mean bad for US fans. There are NFL fans all over the world.

50 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

There are NFL fans all over the world.

Exactly. Love to see the NFL continue to grow internationally.

Been following soccer (football) more and more closely over the years and the international diversity is a breath of fresh air compared to the insularity of U.S. sports. I really enjoy it for that reason (as well as many others).

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea YouGov are definitely credible. Even so I'd argue 18th in popularity and 4th in merchandising sales is pretty successful. They started 32nd. 

No surprise to me that most of that top 10 are teams who were good in the late 80s and early 90s. That is the channel 4 generation. 

You mean bad for US fans. There are NFL fans all over the world.

Exactly. Spain and Germany have long established, credible fan bases. 

Interestingly, US fans seem far more supportive of the college games in Ireland than NFL games in the UK, Germany and Spain 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

It is in that sense, but its a far cry from the media hype machine that somehow makes out the Jaguars are London's team. Dare I say it, the best claim to that title is the Dolphins. Who have a lot of long established support and always represent really strongly in London 

3 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

It is in that sense, but its a far cry from the media hype machine that somehow makes out the Jaguars are London's team. Dare I say it, the best claim to that title is the Dolphins. Who have a lot of long established support and always represent really strongly in London 

I would have expected the Dolphins to be top of the UK list, although can understand why Dallas are. Of the Channel 4 generation I come across Miami and Chicago are the two most commonly supported, so them being #2 and #3 feels right to me. Jacksonville at #18 still feels instinctively a little low to me but then I am based in London and most of the NFL fans I know, speak to, converse with.... other than those on this board.... are based in London where I suspect the Jags would rank much higher and it is said, on many issues, that we live in a bubble separate from the rest of the UK so that probably shouldn't be a surprise. Equally unsurprisingly when you sort by age on the sidebar, the Jags are in the top 10 (9th) among millennials whereas they rank 21st most popular among boomers and 22nd among Gen X. As I said earlier I suspect most of the Jags UK fans are 35 and under and live in London and the South East.