Madrid wants to organize an NFL game at the new Bernabéu before 2025

Madrid wants to organize an NFL game at the new Bernabéu before 2025

1608405351_218134_1608405482_noticia_nor

https://as.com/futbol/2021/06/05/primera/1622863090_032457.html

One of the great events that the board has set itself the objective of organizing is an NFL game , the American football league in the United States and the sports competition that generates the most money in the world (13,000 million dollars per season according to ESPN), as advanced by El Confidencial . The competition leaders have their eyes set on Europe in general and Spain in particular, where their sport has grown exponentially in recent years. Madrid wants to take advantage of this and has offered the new Bernabéu , which is right now the preferred stage of the NFL to carry out an international match, although it is not the only option that is contemplated in Spain, according to sources close to the white club have informed this newspaper. It would be something similar to what the competition does in London at the Tottenham stadium , where it organizes a match every year.

Note: content of most links is in Spanish so if the you can not read it I suggest using Google translate.

Germany, closer than Spain

Before it takes place in Spain, the NFL wants to bring a game to Germany . As announced by the American media Sports Business Journal , the idea is that between 2022 and 2023 one will be organized at the Allianz Arena in Munich , the home of Bayern . According to audience data, the two million Germans who watched the last Super Bowl have motivated managers to accelerate the meeting, something similar to what is happening in Spain, although in the Iberian country the growth of American football is still a little slower.

27 minutes ago, BringMetheHeadofLeonLett said:

Can we send a more competent team than the Jags to exhibit our sport to unfamiliar international audiences, ferchris'ssake. 

I'm sure the NFL will mix it up when they have games in Germany. The NFL fans there will want big games.

14 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I'm sure the NFL will mix it up when they have games in Germany. The NFL fans there will want big games.

The NFL fans here want big games too. The purpose with the Jags was they were trying to build a fan base for a single team because expansion to the UK remains a long term goal. To an extent it has worked, the Jags from having basically no UK fan base now have a pretty strong one. But we have had almost every team in the UK now (think it is just the Packers who haven't been). 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The NFL fans here want big games too. The purpose with the Jags was they were trying to build a fan base for a single team because expansion to the UK remains a long term goal. To an extent it has worked, the Jags from having basically no UK fan base now have a pretty strong one. But we have had almost every team in the UK now (think it is just the Packers who haven't been). 

I get a kick out of hearing the local English fans announce picks for the Jacksonville Jag-U-ars during the NFL Drawft.

They make it sound so regal.

40 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

There's always Alfredo Di Stéfano Stadium 🙄

Haha. They should send the Dolphins there. Their fan base would fit inside. 

1 hour ago, Mark Vader said:

I get a kick out of hearing the local English fans announce picks for the Jacksonville Jag-U-ars during the NFL Drawft.

They make it sound so regal.

So if I made the pick I would say Jag-U-ars it is just the way thay we pronounce that word but I am a northerner with flat vowels so it would very much be the Draft rather than the Drawft or the Drarft.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RangerDave said:

Do they not have a word for "billion" in Spanish??

In British English (and Spanish) a billion is a million million, i.e., 1 Billion British = 1 trillion in American.

The article is slightly misleading --NFL is the richest league in the world but the revenue from the four richest European soccer leageues adds up to more than 13B (at least before the pandemic).

• Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

In British English (and Spanish) a billion is a million million, i.e., 1 Billion British = 1 trillion in American.

The article is slightly misleading --NFL is the richest league in the world but the revenue from the four richest European soccer leageues adds up to more than 13B (at least before the pandemic).

Traditionally this is absolutely right. In the UK we have definitely started to adopt the US definition of a billion - they are almost used interchangeably in public discourse now. It is one of the rare cases where I think my friends there over the pond have diverged from the Empire and have improved things :)

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Traditionally this is absolutely right. In the UK we have definitely started to adopt the US definition of a billion - they are almost used interchangeably in public discourse now. It is one of the rare cases where I think my friends there over the pond have diverged from the Empire and have improved things :)

I didn't know that but It must be confusing if one is not sure if when someone says a billion whether they meant a billion or a trillion.

• Like (+1) 1