According to B/R, we are the second best team set up for the future

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2944259-ranking-the-7-teams-best-set-up-for-the-future-entering-2021-season

#1 Goes to the Chiefs. We are #2, right behind us is the Ravens at #3 and the 49'ers at #4. interestingly the Dolphins are #7 but they point to the amount of draft capital moving forward as the reasoning, not so much Tua.

Here's our write up:

While the Buffalo Bills only have their own draft picks in 2022—aside from a conditional seventh-rounder from Atlanta—and are projected to be up against the cap next offseason, they're still set to be perennial contenders.

Quarterback Josh Allen had a breakout campaign in 2020, passing for 4,544 yards with 37 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. He also rushed for 421 yards and eight more scores. He's only 25 years old and may not have reached his ceiling.

A contract extension for Allen will be coming, but he has two years left on his rookie deal.

Aside from him, the Bills have one of the league's best, most-balanced rosters—one Pro Football Focus ranked fifth before the draft. Buffalo also ranked second in both yards gained and points scored last season, while ranking 14th in total defense.

With contributors like Tre'Davious White, Micah Hyde, Matt Milano and Stefon Diggs—the reigning league-leader in receptions and receiving yards—under contract through at least 2023, the Bills are poised to be a permanent fixture in the Super Bowl chase.

Buffalo also has a quality head coach in Sean McDermott, who has taken Buffalo to the playoffs in three of his four seasons.

Edited by BruceVilanch
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

5 minutes ago, Beerball said:

Remember when we hated Bleacher Report?

Clearly they have improved the quality of their staff and reporting! Fine group of outstanding journalists now!   

:)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 11
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Funny how 20 years ago it was always the NFC was the real conference.  Notice how 5 of the 7 are AFC teams.  I don’t agree with everything from the author, but it’s pretty clear the AFC has the young QB’s who are ascending.  The Chargers I’m guessing with the right coach could be a factor in two years.

Thanks as always my west coast friend Bruce.

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Funny how 20 years ago it was always the NFC was the real conference.  Notice how 5 of the 7 are AFC teams.  I don’t agree with everything from the author, but it’s pretty clear the AFC has the young QB’s who are ascending.  The Chargers I’m guessing with the right coach could be a factor in two years.

Yep! Look at where most of the good young QB’s have landed (AFC). Look at where some of the great older QB’s have been playing (NFC).

I sure hope we don’t get Rodgers in the AFC (Denver?) to end his career.  We  have enough to compete against already! 

Edited by Augie
  • Agree 1

• BruceVilanch changed the title to According to B/R, we are the second best team set up for the future
7 hours ago, Augie said:

Yep! Look at where most of the good young QB’s have landed (AFC). Look at where some of the great older QB’s have been playing (NFC).

I sure hope we don’t get Rodgers in the AFC (Denver?) to end his career.  We  have enough to compete against already! 

I know.  Look at the bright side, the Broncos have around $31 mil., but the other team, the Raiders speculated that have interest only has $5 mil.  We also just faced them so wouldn’t see until the playoffs or not for two more years.  

The team that just drafted someone, but has $20 mil., and not a sure thing at QB is the Pats.  That would be a nightmare.  Can you imagine Rodgers in a Pats uniform sitting Mac for two years.  Gives me shivers.

Edited by machine gun kelly
  • Agree 1

Not sure I buy Arizona at #6. They are the biggest ? On that list for me. Okay Kyler is young and I think he has been an above average NFL QB his first two years. Who are the other young, proven, studs on that team? Budda Baker and.... err....? 

14 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I know.  Look at the bright side, the Broncos have around $31 mil., but the other team, the Raiders speculated that have interest only has $5 mil.  We also just faced them so wouldn’t see until the playoffs or not for two more years. 

Not true.  Aside from the rotating AFC division, we also play the two teams in the other AFC divisions that finished in the same place we did.  It's why we're playing Pitt and KC again this season.

I'm not sure the Ravens should be that high. I think teams are figuring out how to deal with Jackson and I don't think Jackson has a very high ceiling as a passer. They always put together a competitive team, though, and they have a heck of a coach.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/10/2021 at 7:15 PM, The Red King said:

Not true.  Aside from the rotating AFC division, we also play the two teams in the other AFC divisions that finished in the same place we did.  It's why we're playing Pitt and KC again this season.

I’m aware, but that assumes these teams finish in the same spot in their respective divisions, and I’m relatively confident we will win the East.  This means more than likely as good as KC is as a whole team even with Rodgers, I can see KC maintaining the West.  Rodgers would make either team a wildcard contender and yes, it’s possible they could overtake the Chiefs, but as a team KC has more than LVR, or DB.

Edited by machine gun kelly

On 6/10/2021 at 5:08 AM, GunnerBill said:

Not sure I buy Arizona at #6. They are the biggest ? On that list for me. Okay Kyler is young and I think he has been an above average NFL QB his first two years. Who are the other young, proven, studs on that team? Budda Baker and.... err....? 

Deandre Hopkins turned 29 a few days ago. If Murray improves they will be a scary team for years to come.

Biggest question to me has to be the 49ers. They just invested a ton of draft capital in Trey Lance and it'll probably be at least one season before he starts playing. Is he the next Josh Allen? Or will he be a bust?

Not surprisingly 6 of the 7 teams on this list have early 1st round QBs on rookie contracts. It'll remain to be seen how these teams do once they give their QB a mega contract. Will the Ravens even give Jackson a contract? If he can't improve his throwing game a huge contract would be an albatross 

Still massive question marks at the linebacker position and our safeties are getting up there in age. Beane needs to hit on two of the three DEs he drafted. If they are at least solid then he can spend draft capital on safety and center next year. If Edmunds doesn't get better or Milano proves to be injury prone they will have big holes to fill.

On 6/9/2021 at 6:43 PM, machine gun kelly said:

Chargers will be a factor this year if Herbert does not regress.  They had a great off-season.

Sadly so did KC and Cleveland.