PFF ranks offensive play callers: Daboll 2nd in league

1 hour ago, BigAl2526 said:

Whether or not it is deserved, on field production is a factor in such ratings.  Both McVay and Shanahan had off seasons for their offenses,  more because of QB issues than anything to do with scheme or offensive play calling.  QB changes this year for both may change how they're rated next year at this time.  The loss of Aaron Rodgers, on the other hand, will likely know Matt LaFleur off the top of the heap if that happens..

I wouldn't have McVay top 5. He has definitely been worked out as a playcaller and while at times he has found some adjustments he gets away from them and falls into his predictable habits. I have said it before but I feel like Tony Romo watching Rams games because I can predict the play call so often. 

Shanahan on the other hand is still a great playcaller who was hamstrung by his QB situation. 

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I wouldn't have McVay top 5. He has definitely been worked out as a playcaller and while at times he has found some adjustments he gets away from them and falls into his predictable habits. I have said it before but I feel like Tony Romo watching Rams games because I can predict the play call so often. 

Shanahan on the other hand is still a great playcaller who was hamstrung by his QB situation. 

This is all based off last year's points totals scored

Green Bay first

Buff second

Kc third

And so on

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

Whether or not it is deserved, on field production is a factor in such ratings.  Both McVay and Shanahan had off seasons for their offenses,  more because of QB issues than anything to do with scheme or offensive play calling.  QB changes this year for both may change how they're rated next year at this time.  The loss of Aaron Rodgers, on the other hand, will likely know Matt LaFleur off the top of the heap if that happens..

Both those guys get production from mediocre QB play. Daboll and LaFleur would be lucky to still have jobs if not for Allen and Rodgers imo.

• Like (+1) 1

Reid and Payton should be in their own tier at 1 and 2.  Daboll definitely propelled himself into the top 5 though.  I’ve never seen a Bills OC scheme guys wide open like Daboll did last year.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Reid and Payton should be in their own tier at 1 and 2.  Daboll definitely propelled himself into the top 5 though.  I’ve never seen a Bills OC scheme guys wide open like Daboll did last year.

Daboll has great schemes.  The playcalling at times is a bit disturbing.  

• Agree 2

12 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Daboll has great schemes.  The playcalling at times is a bit disturbing.  

This would require a much deeper dive - - but I think at times, Allen is making the call based on his pre snap read and he’s making the wrong one. A few times in the playoffs they ran the ball when it made no sense and didn’t work and he looked upset with himself. That’s not to say he doesn’t make the right call to when he has the option but those just stood out to me. Daboll does a great job game planning against specific schemes and defenders. I do think he gets too cute at times. No need to go for the record of # of TDs to different players when it involves throwing the ball to Taiwan Jones in the end zone and it could have been literally anyone else who we know can catch the ball. 

• Eyeroll 1

5 hours ago, MJS said:

Gruden!?

Personally not a Gruden fan. How he could be ahead of Greg Roman is confusing to me. Roman actually had to create something rather unique. Hopeful it’s not long lasting, but more clever than Gruden. 

• Agree 2

18 hours ago, maddenboy said:

There's a difference between "play caller" and "play designer."

Not sure I love Daboll's play-calling. 

Agree a lot with first sentence. Too easy to second guess with second. Overall I liked Dabolls play calling a lot last year. Sometimes good play calls don’t work and bad ones do. 

1 minute ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Agree a lot with first sentence. Too easy to second guess with second. Overall I liked Dabolls play calling a lot last year. Sometimes good play calls don’t work and bad ones do. 

one of the jobs of a play caller is to not call plays that, while sexy, you know the team cant execute.