SI Mailbag: if chiefs, Bills swap QBs, who had better offense?

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Because, as of now, Mahomes is better

edit:  for the record.  It’s one of the reasons I hate him. “Hate” being a rather strong word, I’d rather use strongly dislike. I know how much the bills winning a super bowl means to me and he stands in the way of that.  I believe that we’ll win at least one SB with Allen.....but if we don’t, Mahomes will likely be one of the reasons.  There have been several great teams that didn’t win a championship due to the greatness of one player.  I believe Mahomes might be good enough to be that guy.  

another reason I strongly dislike him:  

Josh talks a lot of smack....but I don’t think he would do something like this if he were in Mahomes position.  Bad character move on his part imo.  Really rubbed me the wrong way

This bothers me more than it should, but when he's scrambling and stuff, his helmet looks like it's 3 sizes too big for some reason. Josh just looks a lot more elegant when he does those things and his helmet size is appropriate.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

This bothers me more than it should, but when he's scrambling and stuff, his helmet looks like it's 3 sizes too big for some reason. Josh just looks a lot more elegant when he does those things and his helmet size is appropriate.

Haha!  Well put.  I see it the same way.  Our guy is a bigger badass for sure. Would love to see them put on the gloves!  If a YouTuber can make 50M+ fighting mayweather, these guys could make 100M.  

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Because, as of now, Mahomes is better

edit:  for the record.  It’s one of the reasons I hate him. “Hate” being a rather strong word, I’d rather use strongly dislike. I know how much the bills winning a super bowl means to me and he stands in the way of that.  I believe that we’ll win at least one SB with Allen.....but if we don’t, Mahomes will likely be one of the reasons.  There have been several great teams that didn’t win a championship due to the greatness of one player.  I believe Mahomes might be good enough to be that guy.  

another reason I strongly dislike him:  

Josh talks a lot of smack....but I don’t think he would do something like this if he were in Mahomes position.  Bad character move on his part imo.  Really rubbed me the wrong way

I would politely disagree, Josh is a huge smack talker. He would do it and be having fun with it, not necessarily trying to be an Ahole. I  suspect Mahomes was doing the same.

1 minute ago, Southern_Bills said:

I would politely disagree, Josh is a huge smack talker. He would do it and be having fun with it, not necessarily trying to be an Ahole. I  suspect Mahomes was doing the same.

There’s talking smack and then there’s disrespecting. Putting one down to prop one up.  Agree to disagree.  

4 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Are we going to do the Josh Allen vs Patrick Mahomes debate for the next 15 years?

Man, I hope so, because it means the Bills are in for a lot of good football.  If it's still being debated in 15 years Josh will have won his share of them.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Don’t really care - I love Josh and can’t stand Mahomes.  

I will take Josh 100 times out of 100.  

I don’t care who is better - it is about having our guy and that is all I am concerned with.

I love both of 'em. I mean, I love our guy more than the guy who beat us, but that's what makes it great: we will get him next time.

I'm a Bills fan, but I'm first and foremost a fan. This is a great time to be both a Bills fan and a fan in general. Two fantastic talents. It's Marino and Kelly. It's Peyton and Brady. Enjoy it!

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

95 days until the regular season.

Just shoot me now.

Can we just block this thread know

Hole Molly

At best this is the 21 thread a out Patrick 

Who cares we have Josh

Close the curtain 

21 years from Know we can relive this

4 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Are we going to do the Josh Allen vs Patrick Mahomes debate for the next 15 years?

They are both great QB's. Pat Mahomes has more super bowls and more MVP trophies. If Josh gets one of either, we can start comparing.

Until then, just enjoy the ride. Do we really have to have a short-man complex about even our good players?

Well, short people, you know….

Damn prejudiced people…

Edited by machine gun kelly

3 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Why would anyone hate on Mahomes?  

Because the Bills didnt draft him. Not Mahomes fault. KC got their guy, we ended up getting ours. Time will tell. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

95 days until the regular season.

Just shoot me now.

Having nothing to talk about this year can be seen as a good thing. No news is good news this time of year, just ask the 49ers.  

OK, that’s my best glass half full take. 

• Like (+1) 1

Let's not forget that KC HC Andy Reid took a 2-14 team and went 11-5 in his first season 2013...this with Alex Smith at QB. 

The next four seasons the Chiefs were in the playoffs 2013-2017. Patrick Mahomes got to sit for a season watching Alex Smith play while learning. He started for an already good playoff team with a good run game, good receiving corps, good O line along with great coaching.

Andy Reid has been building and refining that team for eight seasons and has been to the playoffs 7 of those 8 seasons. 

I think Josh Allen is the better QB who has had to deal with a not so great team around him in his first seasons. While being thrown into that proverbial fire he came out hardened like tungsten carbide. 

I think the best is yet to come for Allen. Still, a lot will depend on how the offense is called.

Bills OC Brian Daboll fell on his face in the playoffs for Buffalo in 2020 IMO. The Bills barely* beat the Colts 27-24 while putting the entire offense on the QB to win with little rushing, 21 rushes for 96 yards. Allen sacked 2x and Colts QB Rivers hardly touched with no sacks. 

Against the Ravens the Bills won 17-3 and the Bills offense scored only 10 points this game. Again, with little run game Buffalo 16 rushes for 32 yards. That pick six in the end zone by Buffalo was a 14 point turnaround. The Bills defense carried this game. 

Meanwhile, KC HC Andy Reid and his assistants rose up to win a SB in 2019 and made it to another in 2020. Huge differential in offensive coaching for the playoffs between these two teams.

Edited by Nihilarian
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, SCBills said:

When you have a generational talent at Tight End and generational speed on the outside as one of the leagues best deep threats... that's going to open up your Offense to a whole other level.  

Nobody else in the league has a duo close to Kelce/Hill.

Tampa Bay: Yawn, they didn't seem all that.

Let's throw some numbers around. . . .

Yards per attempt (career)

Trent Edwards: 6.5

Alex Smith: 6.9

Tom Brady: 7.5

Alex Smith's last year in KC: 8.0

Quarterback rating (career)

Trent Edwards: 75.5

Alex Smith: 86.9

Tom Brady: 97.3

Alex Smith's last year in KC: 104.7

Riddle me this: if Andy Reid's system and personnel provided this dramatic a boost to Alex Smith's numbers, what kind of boost might Patrick Mahomes be getting?

I'd argue that this past season, Josh Allen played at a higher level than Patrick Mahomes. I'd further argue that Allen had the second-best 2020 season of any QB in the NFL, after Aaron Rodgers. If Buffalo and Kansas City were to simply swap their starting quarterbacks, the beneficiary of that trade would be Kansas City.

Edited by Arm of Harm
  • Like (+1) 2