RIP Jim Fassel

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31587569/former-new-york-giants-head-coach-jim-fassel-dies-71

Former New York Giants head coach Jim Fassel has died at the age of 71, his son, John, confirmed to the Los Angeles Times on Monday night.

Jim Fassel, who lived in Las Vegas, died of a heart attack while under sedation after being taken to a local hospital Monday with chest pains, John Fassel told the Times.

Jim Fassel was head coach of the Giants from 1997 to 2003 and guided the team to three playoff berths. He was named the NFL's Coach of the Year in 1997.

Fassel's Giants lost to the Baltimore Ravens 34-7 in Super Bowl XXXV in January 2001, after going 12-4 and winning the NFC East that season. Fassel was 58-53-1 overall with the Giants.

In addition to coaching the Giants, Fassel was a longtime NFL assistant, holding offensive coordinator roles with the Giants, Denver Broncos, Arizona Cardinals and Ravens.

Fassel also coached in the college ranks, leading Utah from 1985 to 1989.

Edited by Draconator
  • Sad 12

23 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I hear you bud and although I have a ways to go to 60, I still look at 71 as young.  If they smoked, drank excessively, etc... ok.

fortunately I survived my partying days and live a boring suburban life.

• Haha (+1) 1

RIP...a good coach and good guy.  I'm reminded of the story about how, after 34 years, Fassel and his wife were reunited with the son they gave up for adoption before they were married.  Very much worth the read...

https://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/16/sports/pro-football-34-years-later-one-coach-s-sweetest-victory.html

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/8/2021 at 9:34 AM, machine gun kelly said:

I hear you bud and although I have a ways to go to 60, I still look at 71 as young.  If they smoked, drank excessively, etc... ok.

One of the biggest moves of my life was quitting smoking (cigarettes at least.) It was the hardest thing I've ever done I think, but damn do I feel so much better.

I've always been skinny and I associated that with being healthy. I didn't realize people could be thin AND out of shape until I went kayaking w/ my 70 year old grandma and had to take a break every 10 minutes while she didn't even break a sweat. 🤣 It was then that I realized I had a problem.

Oh yeah, RIP Jim Fassel. 🙏

• Like (+1) 1