2013 Bills Season Defining Moments

3 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

This was the last game I attended to in person, Thad Lewis had his moments and this was quite a thrilling game as we came back late and of course held them in OT but then Thad struggled as did our ST coverage to cost us the game. 

This might be one of my favorite Bills losses.  Yeah I know that sounds a little strange to say.

But I had the team absolutely left for dead that day and then the team converted on a 4th and 15 too Chandler for a TD.  Then Thad put together a last minute drive to tie it up.  I remember one exciting play I think he avoided a sack and found Chandler again for like a 30 yard gain.

Kinda stunk though in OT Cincy was able to pin the Bills with field position then force a 3 and out 🙁

Edited by Another Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

This might be one of my favorite Bills losses.  Yeah I know that sounds a little strange to say.

But I had the team absolutely left for dead that day and then the team converted on a 4th and 15 too Chandler for a TD.  Then Thad put together a last minute drive to tie it up.  I remember one exciting play I think he avoided a sack and found Chandler again for like a 30 yard gain.

Kinda stunk though in OT Cincy was able to pin the Bills with field position then force a 3 and out 🙁

I agree on it being a favorite loss and I think it’s because Cincy was a contender at the time and Buffalo was working on ascending. With a backup QB with limited time in the system they gave Cincy all they could handle.

When I think of the Bills as an org starting to get out of the ground floor games like this come to mind.

Edited by corta765
  • Agree 1

On 6/7/2021 at 11:23 PM, Buftex said:

I was pretty optimistic about EJ after his rookie season. Up til that injury in the Cleveland game, he was kind of showing something, as much polish as he still needed. I know Whaley has (kind of) said that he wasn't really sold on EJ, for a guy they spent a high draft pick on, I never felt like he got a real fair chance...

In E.J.'s rookie year he averaged 6.4 yards per pass attempt. To put that into perspective Trent Edwards' career average is 6.5, and Losman's is 6.6. Below are Manuel's yards per attempt numbers for each of his years in the NFL:

2013: 6.4

2014: 6.4

2015: 6.7

2016: 5

2017: 6.2

What story do these numbers tell? 1) E.J. was not better later in his career than he was as a rookie. 2) E.J. was not a starting caliber quarterback. 3) E.J. was not better than Trent Edwards. Are those three statements consistent with the eyeball test? Yes, absolutely!

Going into his second year, Marrone could see that in training camp E.J. was no better as a second year player than he'd been as a rookie. That's why he wanted another option at quarterback, and why the Bills coxed Orton out of retirement. After E.J.'s first four games of the 2014 season, it became clear that there was still no improvement over what he'd shown as a rookie. So they took him out and put Orton in.

If you don't have the right quarterback it really hamstrings the team. There's the time and effort the players put into preparing. The time and effort and long hours the coaching staff put in. If you put an inferior quarterback under center, while keeping a better quarterback on the bench, you're basically writing off all that time and effort, for the sake of one guy. Before going down that road you need to ask yourself: is that one guy worth it?

I was opposed to the Manuel pick from the second it was announced. To me he fit the prototype of a first round bust: great physical tools, but without having demonstrated accurate passing or fast information processing at the college level. Had I been in Marrone's place, I would not have been willing to sacrifice a year's worth of the team's time for the sake of EJ Manuel. Someone who was fully on board with the Manuel pick--as Whaley had been at the time--might be more willing to believe he was worth that sacrifice.

If a general manager messes up, it's common for the head coach to get fired. That's why head coaches strongly prefer working with good GMs. Whaley had been the one person most influential in convincing Nix to draft Manuel in the first place. After Manuel's first two years, indications were that Whaley was still high on Manuel. When Marrone exercised his opt-out clause, it's likely that he'd concluded that Whaley was incapable of getting the quarterback position right. He evidently did not want his own head on the chopping block as atonement for Whaley's failures as a general manager or Manuel's failures as a quarterback.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, corta765 said:

2014 which I cannot wait to write about because he brutalized Chris Conte on the run in OT to seal the game. It probably was the best opener they've had in the last decade or so.

I took on the epic task of going season by season and game by game from 2010 on with the defining moment of that game. It started rough but now that we are nearing 2014 on the seasons are wayyyy more fun. 2012 was painful to recap. Overall its been fun to talk about memories good and bad from these seasons especially with nothing exciting happening until August.

I gotta admit it ... this is remarkably entertaining for hard core Bills fans. Nicely done.

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, corta765 said:

When I think of the Bills as an org starting to get out of the ground floor games like this come to mind.

I agree.  I thought 2013-2014 brought the team back to a certain amount of respectability enough so Rex Ryan wanted to come here.  I know I know train reck but he was a high profile coach at the time.  The team was still 15-16 under him.  

This was year one of my four year stint with season tickets.  I remember walking out of the stadium after the Patriots game saying "Tough loss but I believe we found our Quarterback!"  The Carolina game the following week  cemented that opinion.  The rest of his tenure jackhammered that cement.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I agree.  I thought 2013-2014 brought the team back to a certain amount of respectability enough so Rex Ryan wanted to come here.  I know I know train reck but he was a high profile coach at the time.  The team was still 15-16 under him.  

Yep I know Marrone gets flak for leaving and being just an average coach, but the level of play really did improve to respectability like you said that made the position appealing. Had Orton been the starter that season in 2014 they would've made the playoffs.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Dont Stop Billeiving said:

In a parallel universe, I think he could have been one of the more reasonable back up QBs in the league and it's hard to believe that guys like Nate Peterman have a job over him. 

The reason why IMO P5t5rman has job is he looks good in practice and while his mind cannot work fast enough in games he plays well enough for game rehearsals.  

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Limeaid said:

The reason why IMO P5t5rman has job is he looks good in practice and while his mind cannot work fast enough in games he plays well enough for game rehearsals.  

I remember the Carolina preseason game in 2018 and with the ones against the Panthers 1s Peterman looked like a competent QB who could take care of the spot for a while until Josh was ready. Unfortunately he really was a QB who at game speed just didn't have the physical tools and processing to make it work. I can't fault the Bills for giving it look.

On 6/7/2021 at 9:24 PM, corta765 said:

Week 9 Kansas City Chiefs, 23-13 loss: The Chiefs came in 9-0 on the season, but the Bills gave them all they could handle led by 7th round QB Jeff Tuel. Up 10-3 to start the 3rd quarter the Bills went down the field thanks to a 61 yd CJ spiller run. With an opportunity to go up two scores Jeff Tuel made the worst possible decision throwing an interception despite Stevie Johnson being wide open. The Chiefs took the interception 100 yds for a TD to tie the game. Buffalos defense still kept them in the game but by the Bills offense couldn’t get out of its own way fumbling in their own end which the Chiefs scored to go up 20-13. It was quintessential drought football.

LOL.  Truer words have never been spoken.  I feel like this game write-up, with just a few changes, could be swapped in for like a dozen other drought games.

1 hour ago, BillsFanSD said:

LOL.  Truer words have never been spoken.  I feel like this game write-up, with just a few changes, could be swapped in for like a dozen other drought games.

Haha I honestly enjoyed writing that game just because it was cathartic after watching so many years. The wildest thing to is the next year in 2014 against the Chiefs they literally did the same thing all over between Bryce Brown fumbling a TD through the endzone to McKelvin fumbling and turning the ball over so the Chiefs could take the lead. I can probably just copy and paste what I wrote just changing the names haha