Bills 2021 Training Camp will be at OBD

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Cynic in me says OBD makes trying to continue hiding the vaccine issue easier than being out among fans at SJF.

Could be. Also, the Bills know how to run a COVID restricted training camp at OBD and it's simply simpler to run camp there again than trying to make SJF work. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, cd1 said:

Sad - it was a great place to take the kids and get to see the team up close.

I am so disappointed...

You can't go with family at OBD to watch like you could at SJF?Just curious because I really don't know....

Though I feel bad for the fans that liked to go to SJF, I'll look at the positive side....once upon a time it was thought the franchise needed Rochester to expand their regional fanbase and people were probably right in thinking that.

Times have now changed. This team is now stable and successful and the future is bright. A huge thanks to the Pegula's for that.

Edited by Beast

50 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

You can't go with family at OBD to watch like you could at SJF?Just curious because I really don't know....

Beane said they are looking into having a scrimmage and a couple open practices. The issue with having fans all the time is that they want to practice on grass and there isn’t a set up on the practice field for fans right now with bleachers etc. So any practices held with fans will need to be at the stadium on turf. 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

Beane said they are looking into having a scrimmage and a couple open practices. The issue with having fans all the time is that they want to practice on grass and there isn’t a set up on the practice field for fans right now with bleachers etc. So any practices held with fans will need to be at the stadium on turf. 

Ok thanks, I have never had the pleasure of attending TC. So wasn't sure.

4 hours ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

The last year at SJF, there were 9 practices open to fans.

They're talking about maybe (?) 3? here, and it's in the stadium where the fans are more separated from the field and the goings-on

11 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Could be. Also, the Bills know how to run a COVID restricted training camp at OBD and it's simply simpler to run camp there again than trying to make SJF work. 

I was on my lunch yesterday and heard that part of the presser live.

Thats pretty much how Beane said it.

He also put in that the NFL protocols made it difficult to do live meetings at SJF and they would need to do a lot of virtual meetings.

They sent a crew to SJF to see if they could make it work and it was deemed a lost cause.

Hre also said they are ready to hit the ground running at OBD as they have all the procedures in place from last year.

• Like (+1) 1

Sorry for the good fans of Rochester, but I don't think they will ever go back to SJF.  I hope they don't.  You think the players really love getting crammed into those dorm rooms and doubling up? as well as having to bring their own supplies and TV's, etc..  That was the norm in the 80's and 90's but things have changed.   How many years did the Bills NOT make the playoffs after their SJF stays?  I think it was many.  I won't miss that place.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

Most teams have abandoned off-site training camps and you are looking out of step to free agents if you go off site these days IMO. The traditional training camp was invented to get the guys in shape after a long off season where the players would work regular jobs. Now everyone in the league (except Dawkins) works out 365 days a year to stay in the league.  

I've been looking for this info - can you point me at it? 

What teams were still holding off-site training camps pre-covid, and what teams are doing so this year?

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I've been looking for this info - can you point me at it? 

What teams were still holding off-site training camps pre-covid, and what teams are doing so this year?

I am sure I heard it was only 6 going away for camp in one of the McDermott years when we did go to SJF (so '17-'19) but that is a vague memory from a podcast......

15 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Oh, wow, I hadn't realized that grass was an issue.  I don't know why the NFLPA doesn't insist on more of a push to return more playing fields to grass.

21 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

So long SJF

I'm sad because with my kid at school in central NY I had planned to attend training camp for the first time last year.  Now I guess I never can.  But I do agree the Bills should make whatever training camp decision is best for the team, not best for fan interaction.  I think they can come up with other ways to support fan interaction over time.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Cynic in me says OBD makes trying to continue hiding the vaccine issue easier than being out among fans at SJF.

I doubt "hiding the vaccine issue" is in the top 20 of reasons.  I read the NFL memo about away training camps and it was basically the team had to file for permission including a bunch of studies showing that the facilities (including dorms and meeting rooms) would comply with air handling and filtration requirements as well as support the current covid protocols for distancing etc.  There would also be issues around protocols for managing fan contact with players, I believe the NFLPA is concerned with that.

I think the Bills sent a crew to SJF to look at those issues and threw their hands up saying "too hard".

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I doubt "hiding the vaccine issue" is in the top 20 of reasons.  I read the NFL memo about away training camps and it was basically the team had to file for permission including a bunch of studies showing that the facilities (including dorms and meeting rooms) would comply with air handling and filtration requirements as well as support the current covid protocols for distancing etc.  There would also be issues around protocols for managing fan contact with players, I believe the NFLPA is concerned with that.

I think the Bills sent a crew to SJF to look at those issues and threw their hands up saying "too hard".

So the fan contact was part of what was behind my initial reaction, player X always interacts and player Y makes a point of walking on and off the field with a mask and ignoring the fans, certain assumptions get made and OBD wants to avoid. But it was a cynical gut reaction before I had heard Beane's presser rather than a thought out statement. 

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So the fan contact was part of what was behind my initial reaction, player X always interacts and player Y makes a point of walking on and off the field with a mask and ignoring the fans, certain assumptions get made and OBD wants to avoid. But it was a cynical gut reaction before I had heard Beane's presser rather than a thought out statement. 

Meh, I think that kind of thing could easily be avoided by just requiring all the players to wear masks when interacting with the fans.  But the NFL may have been foot-dragging on defining exactly what kind of fan interactions and what kind of crowd control would be required.

The number of practices open to

the public at SJF was reduced each year during the McBeane years, well before COVID. You can point to many factors, but the writing had been on the wall for a while imo. I realize neither Beane or McD would acknowledge it publicly, but you can’t always take those type of comments at face value. 

On 6/7/2021 at 2:46 PM, HappyDays said:

I have thought for a while now that McDermott will slowly phase out fan attendance at training camp. It creates a competitive disadvantage if our opponents can read/watch fan articles and videos. As it is the media only has access to 1 out of every 3 practices and they can't report on certain things. They can't force fans to avoid reporting those things. I enjoy going to training camp once a year but the bottom line is making it easier to win games.

I think some teams have closed training camp sessions?   perhaps only open up some events to fans.  It’s a great way to start the season and build up fans from a young age.  

On 6/7/2021 at 11:44 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The last year at SJF, there were 9 practices open to fans.

They're talking about maybe (?) 3? here, and it's in the stadium where the fans are more separated from the field and the goings-on

this kind of reduction in camp ability makes one hapless.