Bills 2021 Training Camp will be at OBD

Not surprised but highly disappointing while i do understand it.

Everyone has laid out why OBD makes more sense and the facilities are top notch. I can't see them returning as the contract is out. Huge loss for fans especially those of us with kids as it was such a unique experience you can't replicate. Additionally as a fan out of Rochester it was the one thing we had that made us contacted to the team big time, with it most likely gone for good were just part of the market nothing more.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Supe said:

The Bills could develop camaraderie by providing mandatory or optional housing at the Marriott at Harbourcenter. An Arena Football League surface for workouts could be placed over the rinks at Harbourcenter and/or Key Bank Center. I’m sure the Pegulas could get a discount. 

Players and staff could drive, limo or bus back and forth to the Orchard Park facilities as needed. 

I think that's specifically prohibited by the NFLPA agreements.

Massive bummer. It was a nice bone for the ROC fans, and a great work outing for my team every summer since I have/had a VIP tent hookup.

Fingers crossed for next year, but I’m not optimistic. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

Cynic in me says OBD makes trying to continue hiding the vaccine issue easier than being out among fans at SJF.

Given that Beane explicitly said in his presser that the NFL has yet to provide clarity or certainty as to how the protocols will change or what the threshold will be, not quite sure how you get there.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Given that Beane explicitly said in his presser that the NFL has yet to provide clarity or certainty as to how the protocols will change or what the threshold will be, not quite sure how you get there.

I haven't seen the presser yet. Was just a gut reaction.

35 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think that's specifically prohibited by the NFLPA agreements.

I don’t know. The contractual language seems vague other than the players don’t pay. Was residence at SJF mandatory?

ARTICLE 23 PRESEASON TRAINING CAMPS
Section 2. Room and Board: All players will receive room and board during the presea- son training camp, and housing between training camp and the Tuesday prior to their Club’s first regular season game for those players who have not as yet established residence in the Team city.

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I have thought for a while now that McDermott will slowly phase out fan attendance at training camp. It creates a competitive disadvantage if our opponents can read/watch fan articles and videos. As it is the media only has access to 1 out of every 3 practices and they can't report on certain things. They can't force fans to avoid reporting those things. I enjoy going to training camp once a year but the bottom line is making it easier to win games.

I'm really going to miss Astro notes.  They were when I knew football was back and it was amazing to soak up the goings on.  My oldest is now the age I was going to bring her to tc and hopefully create that lifelong fandom.  I absolutely understand the decision and think it is the right one but I am bummed none the less.

• Agree 3

22 minutes ago, Supe said:

I don’t know. The contractual language seems vague other than the players don’t pay. Was residence at SJF mandatory?

ARTICLE 23 PRESEASON TRAINING CAMPS
Section 2. Room and Board: All players will receive room and board during the presea- son training camp, and housing between training camp and the Tuesday prior to their Club’s first regular season game for those players who have not as yet established residence in the Team city.

It is spelled out in the covid-19 protocols.  That the teams can not require players to stay at a hotel other than the night before games or during travel.

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It is spelled out in the covid-19 protocols.  That the teams can not require players to stay at a hotel other than the night before games or during travel.

That makes sense. Maybe next training camp. 

The OBL crew today were linking in some way we wouldn’t get to 85% compliance in vacc. So not sure if that made sense as I know the rules change based on that fact.  That’s the players call.

if I’m not a starter as a given I wouldn’t even question what to do, but that’s my opinion.  Not when they have a chance even at lower salaries of $150+.

Whether it’s right or wrong, don’t be surprised if you see cuts from second or third tier guys if they get Covid and have not vaccinated.  I doubt anyone will cut people for not vaccinating, but if they get a positive, how likely is it they are a goodbye.

Up close is pretty relative - the access has gotten further and further away over the years - esp w/o a VIP pass.  I remember the "old" days at SJF where you truly could line the fences around the fields and really be close (not Fredonia-close, but still close).   I was lucky to get VIP for a few of the last SJF camps I went to - can say the times I wasn't VIP I definitely did not feel like I was close to the players.

Times have also changed wrt the fan base - I've always viewed the SJF camp as marketing move by Russ (unapoligetically using his alma matter) to try to reach/expand the fanbase eastward into the state, back when they were desperate to try to do anything to grow the fan base.  That is not a problem in these times.

It will be interesting to see if fans are allowed and what access might be given to the public.  If there is any access I can't imagine it would be any worse than SJF.   For me selfishly, I'm fine not having to schlep my way over to Rochester with my 86 yr old Dad taking school buses to/from the facility.  

The trump I'm sure for the Bills is all the new state-of the art facilities they have on-site now - how could they not want to be there.  

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just curious, does anyone know which teams are still going to "away" training camps prior to Covid and which, if any, have said they are traveling to away camps this year?

WFT going back to Richmond, but just for four days.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/06/04/washington-football-training-camp-richmond/

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Just curious, does anyone know which teams are still going to "away" training camps prior to Covid and which, if any, have said they are traveling to away camps this year?

I think the Steelers will be in Latrobe 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I *think* Carolina traveled to somewhere in South Carolina? I thought I remembered them going down there since they rep both states.

EDIT: Yes the Panthers go to Wofford College in Spartanburg SC. 90 min from Charlotte. They are going back this year.

Edited by JoPoy88

I live near Rochester, but I never thought the SJF experience was worth the hassle.  Maybe I'm too soft, but either getting tickets or taking off of work and then waiting around to a ride a crowded school bus to watch practice from afar wasn't as enjoyable as I thought it would be.  

• Agree 1