Sal article: how Milano stayed in Buffalo

14 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

Although appreciated, that may be the least groundbreaking article I have read in some time. That’s a nice fluff piece if I’ve ever seen one.

"We worked together and got a deal done that worked for both sides."  I mean, that's just like MY athlete negotiations - PUT ME IN COACH!!

:beer:

The take home for me is that at the same time as Milano was posting teasing Instagrams of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and himself dining with yacht salesmen, and the press covering the NFL was putting out pieces about how Milano will definitely test free agency, Milano was privately telling his agent "first priority, get me back with the Bills". 

And at the same time as Beane was saying in pressers "he's earned the right to test the market" which was his code for "bye-bye!" in the case of Shaq Lawson and Jordan Phillips, he was crafting a contract offer for Milano.

So kind of like "don't believe everything you read" around the draft,  "don't believe everything you read" around FA.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Yolo, I was wondering the same.  I know I bring up maybe too much but I love MTC on Sirius with Jim and Pat.  They were making an argument with data about pics 20-32 and how many get a 5th year option and is it that important to move up in the bottom third of the 1st to have that option.  It was a no as so many do not.

Conversely though, most top 10 in the first round do get the option minus anomalies like Trubisky.  They invest a lot in those picks so you’d think if anything, they may not extend to see one more year what he can do, but very well could pick up the option.  I could definitely see that to know for sure what Oliver has when healthy, has a good line around him and has he developed to be worth the extension.  This year will be telling for him.  He has a lot of talent around him now barring injuries.

He will get the 5th year. You can freezing cold take me if he doesn’t. I just see no reason why he wouldn’t. 

6 hours ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Now to take this off the rails……the article says Oliver has two years remaining?
    Unless he has a crazy good year this year, he doesn’t get resigned by the Bills.  
    You heard it here first🤓

I actually agree with this. I made a thread poll questioning Oliver being a 1st round bust and got a lot of crap for it. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The take home for me is that at the same time as Milano was posting teasing Instagrams of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels and himself dining with yacht salesmen, and the press covering the NFL was putting out pieces about how Milano will definitely test free agency, Milano was privately telling his agent "first priority, get me back with the Bills". 

And at the same time as Beane was saying in pressers "he's earned the right to test the market" which was his code for "bye-bye!" in the case of Shaq Lawson and Jordan Phillips, he was crafting a contract offer for Milano.

So kind of like "don't believe everything you read" around the draft,  "don't believe everything you read" around FA.

So you’re sayin’ there IS a time to believe everything you read about the Draft & FA?😲😉

• Haha (+1) 2

This is basically 100 ways of saying "Milano wanted to stay in Buffalo."  Article tells me nothing other than what we already knew.  Bills liked the player.  Milano liked the Bills.  There had to be give and take.  A deal got done.  

5 hours ago, Heitz said:

"We worked together and got a deal done that worked for both sides."  I mean, that's just like MY athlete negotiations - PUT ME IN COACH!!

:beer:

Typical ground breaking information from Sal

5 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I actually agree with this. I made a thread poll questioning Oliver being a 1st round bust and got a lot of crap for it. 

Eff em all. They’ll get over it😜 

Not sure he’s a bust yet but he’s squarely in the JAG realm. If he remains at the level he’s at I don’t see him resigned at the end of his rookie deal.

I would love for this not to be the case. I can see Star back in the middle eating up blockers, two at a time, and EO breaking out. I can see EO having pride and getting pushed by Epenesa, Basham and Rousseau and showing out. I can also equally see it not happening.

Time will tell.

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

You don’t think they pick up his option? Why not? 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

You don’t think they pick up his option? Why not? 

Pick up his option maybe but not sign him to a second multi year deal.

10 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Yolo, I was wondering the same.  I know I bring up maybe too much but I love MTC on Sirius with Jim and Pat.  They were making an argument with data about pics 20-32 and how many get a 5th year option and is it that important to move up in the bottom third of the 1st to have that option.  It was a no as so many do not.

Conversely though, most top 10 in the first round do get the option minus anomalies like Trubisky.  They invest a lot in those picks so you’d think if anything, they may not extend to see one more year what he can do, but very well could pick up the option.  I could definitely see that to know for sure what Oliver has when healthy, has a good line around him and has he developed to be worth the extension.  This year will be telling for him.  He has a lot of talent around him now barring injuries.

Again, fifth year option is not a new deal.  It’s a last chance in his case IMO. I hope he shows out and blows all our minds but I’m not expecting it.

• Disagree 2

45 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Eff em all. They’ll get over it😜 

Not sure he’s a bust yet but he’s squarely in the JAG realm. If he remains at the level he’s at I don’t see him resigned at the end of his rookie deal.

I would love for this not to be the case. I can see Star back in the middle eating up blockers, two at a time, and EO breaking out. I can see EO having pride and getting pushed by Epenesa, Basham and Rousseau and showing out. I can also equally see it not happening.

Time will tell.

Not to be overly cliché, but it's his make or break season. If he wants to get paid then he's gotta step it up. He's playing about average right now.

• Agree 1

On 6/7/2021 at 8:02 PM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Not to be overly cliché, but it's his make or break season. If he wants to get paid then he's gotta step it up. He's playing about average right now.

Yeah, he can't expect top money with his current results on the field. I do think he will get it together (maybe wishful thinking). His potential is through the roof.

I'm sure the coaches know if it's an effort issue though.

• Like (+1) 1

I agree Yolo.  It is the logical option to take his 5th year, and then if he has a good 2021, and 2022, they can leave just a little more time for an extension.  The cap will start taking off in 2023, but really 2024 will eclipse what would’ve happened with no pandemic.  The contracts will really take off at that point which will be perfect for the age of our starters.

The other point to consider is Oliver is only going to have so many sacks and pressures if he’s only in 50% of the time.  That’s a cornerstone to McD’s philosophy going back to his Eagles days with Jimmy Johnson (RIP).

16 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

Yeah, he can't expect top money with his current results on the field. I do think he will get it together (maybe wishful thinking). His potential is through the roof.

I'm sure the coaches know if it's an effort issue though.

Expecting top money, or signing to an extension after his rookie deal? Not one and the same. He can get an extension without it being for top money. If he can get top money elsewhere, then his market would dictate that and he should get it here. 

• Agree 1

On 6/7/2021 at 5:08 AM, Buffalo Boy said:

Now to take this off the rails……the article says Oliver has two years remaining?
    Unless he has a crazy good year this year, he doesn’t get resigned by the Bills.  
    You heard it here first🤓

Oliver has two years left on his rookie deal and then a possible fifth year option. He hasn't lived up to his draft status but he has been a starting caliber player. He is only entering into his third year and hasn't had a normal off-season since his rookie year. I think the fact that he has played well enough to justify his starting snaps is good for him. The best way to develop is to play and if you aren't good enough to get snaps there is only so much "goodwill" your draft stock or potential will go. 

I think Oliver with a true one tech next to him will have a good season and will be entering into his last year in good standing to get his fifth year option picked up. But this year is definitely a big one for him, not make or break but pivotal. 

6 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I agree Yolo.  It is the logical option to take his 5th year, and then if he has a good 2021, and 2022, they can leave just a little more time for an extension.  The cap will start taking off in 2023, but really 2024 will eclipse what would’ve happened with no pandemic.  The contracts will really take off at that point which will be perfect for the age of our starters.

The other point to consider is Oliver is only going to have so many sacks and pressures if he’s only in 50% of the time.  That’s a cornerstone to McD’s philosophy going back to his Eagles days with Jimmy Johnson (RIP).

The Bills in my opinion will use 2021 to assess if they want to pick up his fifth year option. But I agree with your logic that the cap going up massively will only positively impact the chances of Oliver getting his option picked up as it will seem more and more like a bargain as the cap is set to explode. 

53 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Expecting top money, or signing to an extension after his rookie deal? Not one and the same. He can get an extension without it being for top money. If he can get top money elsewhere, then his market would dictate that and he should get it here. 

That's what I was saying, maybe I didn't spell it out well enough. I agree he can get a deal for what he's worth, as long as it isn't a effort issue. 

He's a good starter even if he isn't an All-Pro. 

4 minutes ago, Southern_Bills said:

That's what I was saying, maybe I didn't spell it out well enough. I agree he can get a deal for what he's worth, as long as it isn't a effort issue. 

He's a good starter even if he isn't an All-Pro. 

Yeah, they have signed other solid starters like Dawkins and Milano who aren’t “all pros” but significant contributors. I think if he’s a culture guy and a solid player they will at least offer him a contract.