Passing the Torch - JK to JA

Chaos

2 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

You must not have watched Bruce much, or paid attention to his preparation, fitness and productivity season after season, to think he would have nothing to teach anyone who wanted to play pro sports. He's also extremely intelligent. (And, oh yeah, the NFL all time leader in sacks.)

A few years ago on Inside the NFL Ray Lewis commented that he couldn't play in today's NFL because of the rules protecting the QB and not hitting a defenseless receiver. Ray said he would be flagged for unnecessary roughness on just about every play. I would imagine players like Bruce Smith, Reggie White, Ronnie Lott and other players from that era would struggle with the rules of today's game. They all played in an era when you could hit people and really knock the **** out of them

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Jim said:

Happy Jim is doing well. He's been a great spokesman for the Bills and the city of Buffalo...

But it's time for him to remove himself from the stage. Him, Bruce, Thurman, all of them. Tasker doesn't count as he's actually working and doing a job that involves the team. 

But anyways, when I think about Bruce sending a note to Rousseau or whatever it was, I roll my eyes. I highly doubt that anything Bruce Smith (who hasn't played in the league since 2003) is gonna tell Greg Rousseau is gonna give him an edge he wouldn't get from all the coaching and words from his current teammates. I mean maybe Bruce could tell him about his experience playing against Tom Brady (yes Bruce actually played against him in '03, incredible!), but that's about it.

I don't mean to be a dick, but c'mon. The '90s Bills were great, but they never topped the mountain, and I want more from this team. So when I heard announcers saying Allen may be the next Kelly, gag me. Never seen two such different QBs. Except maybe in the toughness department.

schitts creek party GIF by CBC

• Haha (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Greg S said:

A few years ago on Inside the NFL Ray Lewis commented that he couldn't play in today's NFL because of the rules protecting the QB and not hitting a defenseless receiver. Ray said he would be flagged for unnecessary roughness on just about every play. I would imagine players like Bruce Smith, Reggie White, Ronnie Lott and other players from that era would struggle with the rules of today's game. They all played in an era when you could hit people and really knock the **** out of them

If the rules had been different back then, you don't think it's possible that elite players like Bruce, Reggie, and Ronnie would have developed a playing style that fit the rules?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

If the rules had been different back then, you don't think it's possible that elite players like Bruce, Reggie, and Ronnie would have developed a playing style that fit the rules?

Sure they would have but the rules protecting players didn't apply back then. They all learned how to play the game very physical. Like I mentioned Ray Lewis commented on that he would struggle with today's game given how he learned how to play the game. I would imagine it would be the same for other players from that era like Bruce who was also a very physical player in how he played.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Sure they would have but the rules protecting players didn't apply back then. They all learned how to play the game very physical. Like I mentioned Ray Lewis commented on that he would struggle with today's game given how he learned how to play the game. I would imagine it would be the same for other players from that era like Bruce who was also a very physical player in how he played.

Ray Lewis probably meant that if he, having developed a certain style back then, went back and played now, he'd struggle with the new rules. (Can't teach an old dog new tricks.) Fair enough, but my point is that if those had been the rules while they were growing up and learning, their style of play would have matched the rules and they'd have still been great players. (The dog learns the tricks when he's young.) It's not that it's more difficult to play now than i was then - the difficulty is changing. Maybe Ray can't imagine playing in today's league, but if he were a modern linebacker, he'd probably still be HOF caliber.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Jim said:

I highly doubt that anything Bruce Smith (who hasn't played in the league since 2003) is gonna tell Greg Rousseau is gonna give him an edge he wouldn't get from all the coaching and words from his current teammates. I mean maybe Bruce could tell him about his experience playing against Tom Brady (yes Bruce actually played against him in '03, incredible!), but that's about it.

This train of thought is exactly why my generation sucks. Think we know it all and laugh off the experience of those who came before us - it is idiotic. You don't have to see eye to eye with everything they said, did or suggest to do now... but there's always some knowledge to be gained from someone. Even if 99.9% of what they say is eyewash... you can use the other 0.1%. 

Great quote one of my coworkers (who is much older than me) shared with me a few weeks back "There are no friends or enemies, only teachers."

You're hurting yourself if you're not trying to learn from someone else at all times. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Ray Lewis probably meant that if he, having developed a certain style back then, went back and played now, he'd struggle with the new rules. (Can't teach an old dog new tricks.) Fair enough, but my point is that if those had been the rules while they were growing up and learning, their style of play would have matched the rules and they'd have still been great players. (The dog learns the tricks when he's young.) It's not that it's more difficult to play now than i was then - the difficulty is changing. Maybe Ray can't imagine playing in today's league, but if he were a modern linebacker, he'd probably still be HOF caliber.

You said my point perfectly "Can't teach an old dog new tricks" That is exactly what I meant. You are correct in your point as well. They would have adjusted their game if the rules were in place back then.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Jim said:

I don't mean to be a dick, but c'mon. The '90s Bills were great, but they never topped the mountain, and I want more from this team. So when I heard announcers saying Allen may be the next Kelly, gag me. Never seen two such different QBs. Except maybe in the toughness department.

Not buying it.

• Haha (+1) 6

9 hours ago, Jim said:

Happy Jim is doing well. He's been a great spokesman for the Bills and the city of Buffalo...

But it's time for him to remove himself from the stage. Him, Bruce, Thurman, all of them. Tasker doesn't count as he's actually working and doing a job that involves the team. 

But anyways, when I think about Bruce sending a note to Rousseau or whatever it was, I roll my eyes. I highly doubt that anything Bruce Smith (who hasn't played in the league since 2003) is gonna tell Greg Rousseau is gonna give him an edge he wouldn't get from all the coaching and words from his current teammates. I mean maybe Bruce could tell him about his experience playing against Tom Brady (yes Bruce actually played against him in '03, incredible!), but that's about it.

With all due respect for your opinion, this is a qualifier for the horrible take HOF

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Jim said:

They're not on the stage. How often have you heard or read about Kelly and Thurman doing Bills related stuff?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

shoulda stopped right there

I mean c'mon.

I don't know where Buffalo Fanatics got that photo.  Josh's girlfriend posted a couple photos yesterday that I wondered if they were at Kelly's hunting lodge, so now this looks like "yep, that's where they were".  If Jim wants to autograph a football for Josh and take a photo, what's the big deal exactly?  It's not like he staged a ceremony at the stadium or on the steps of city hall or something.

So I would just like to say 

Are you kidding me

I guest my father who died in 2013 was a world champion figure skater. He stated skating when he was 12 and won junior worlds when he was 16.

Know one to the good stuff

35 years later he was a pro and teaching at the buff rink and Erie PA plus rit one of his students qualified for the Olympics and my dad told her maybe your need a different pro to teach you to go farther she did and won the bronze metal.

So yes 35 years is a long time no.

Figure skating is different than football yes

It is still a sport that a great athlete Excells at.

Years later his youngest son who always tried to be in his dad's eye always tried his hardest but was never that good.

But he did hang on the words of his dad. Do the best you can son and I will be proud of you as I always am.

Needless to say I was in the cg and did rescue alot of people sometimes people say hero I say I did my job that's all I did

I later went to college and swam went to nationals placed 8th many times my last swim I did the same look at the final spots and was disappointed that I was still 8th. I could have done better. 

Know fast forward to 2014 when going to stores people were sorry for my lose but would always tell me about how proud my dad was of me. Said he would come in and talk about me all the time.

The reason for my post 

My pops made who I am today

I hung off the words he told me when I was 6 years old 

Know I have certified 20000 plus students in scuba diving teach at local school and have 7 small businesses and 22 employees.

People will bring me in to talk to swimmers and coaches will say who I am and what I did

Kids jump up and down to see me I don't know why I am not that good or really never that was. Put the key point is students will hang on my words when they listen to me. Some people say it motivates them.

All my awards are in 4 cardboard boxes my fathers metal is around my neck and will always be.

If Greg or Josh can get 1 thing from Bruce or jimbo to motivate them 🤔than I am all for it bring it on.  They have reached greatness. I for one will pay to see that every day of the week.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

shoulda stopped right there

I mean c'mon.

I don't know where Buffalo Fanatics got that photo.  Josh's girlfriend posted a couple photos yesterday that I wondered if they were at Kelly's hunting lodge, so now this looks like "yep, that's where they were".  If Jim wants to autograph a football for Josh and take a photo, what's the big deal exactly?  It's not like he staged a ceremony at the stadium or on the steps of city hall or something.

I traced it to Jill Kelly's instagram account:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPytQqrh_ja/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

So basically the Kellys seem to have invited Josh and his girlfriend to spend the weekend at their hunting lodge (Some Place!  I'd go...), at which point Jim and Josh both signed a football and took a picture.  They may have even IDK, watched some film together or something.

I'm not sure why this is upsetting and inappropriate to some here but hey guys, You do You.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Jim said:

care emoji

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Jim said:

Are you, in general, a denier? 

13 hours ago, Jim said:

Yeah Bruce is the greatest. But this is a different game. Maybe I'm wrong and a long retired player could impart a lot of wisdom as far as what's going on when the young guy is on the field. But I'm skeptical. 

It’s…football. It’s not oncology or software coding the last time I checked. Methinks Bruce would have plenty to impart, or anyone else who’s been through the NFL with success. 

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Augie said:

I remember being with my older sister and fearing we would run out of gas in her Fiat. Her first car. We found a quarter on the floor that got us another gallon and about 30 miles. 

Times change, for sure! 

A Fiat went 30 miles without a tow? The times really do change.

• Haha (+1) 4

15 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Kelly passed the torch a quarter century ago to Todd Collins. How’d that work out?

The team was void and without form and a great drought was to come. Collins begat Flutie and Flutie begat Johnson and Johnson begat Bledsoe…….and Fitzpatrick begat Taylor and Taylor begat Peterman.