Falcons trading Julio Jones to Titans

8 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I think a lot of people can't get over how bad they were with Mariota and that Tannehill is actually good.  

It’s as if it’s impossible for tannehill to improve from his time in Miami under gase. He’s not great....but he’s pretty good and capable of winning games.  Certainly capable of beating us. He torched us.....but it was a fluke due to difficult circumstances 

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You’re completely writing off a team and your reason is because they beat us under strange circumstances and because we advanced further in this years playoffs. They’re good team.  They just got better. They can absolutely end our season. 

Oh for crying out loud, how am I "completely writing them off." I've never said they were a bad team nor even not a contender, but by your same logic, you are completely writing off your own team. You are also completely discounting the idea that losing players means something. Julio Jones is a great signing (how many times can I say that?), but it does not mean they got better as a whole from the last season compared to the Bills. Think of it this way: one team gains one major player and loses, let's say, six, while another team adds no significant players but loses no one either. Which team improved more?

Also, look closely at the team. Yes, a team with Tannehill (IF he is the Tannehill of late 2019 through 2020 and not the Tannehill of the rest of his career)/Henry/Julio Jones/AJ Brown is not going to be terrible, but it is a steep drop-off of depth. Their slot receiver, Josh Reynolds, has gone over 500 yards once in his career. Their next two receivers are guys who have been on and off the roster all year. Their starting tight end is comparable to Dawson Knox, but with one more "meh" season under his belt (honestly, i think either Firkser or Knox could make a leap next year). There's a good chance we'll cut WRs as good as their third best pass catcher. And their defense could be a big ol' mess. There's a reason Vegas still gives us a much better chance than the Titans. 

And what's with your smug discussion earlier about "some people with one good season" etc. You realize we were also in the playoffs last year with a very good season and have improved year-over-year tremendously the last three years. If you think this is a fluke, well, you're at odds with most national experts and you're being unnecessarily negative at a time you really should be enjoying the direction of the team. 

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It’s as if it’s impossible for tannehill to improve from his time in Miami under gase. He’s not great....but he’s pretty good and capable of winning games.  Certainly capable of beating us. He torched us.....but it was a fluke due to difficult circumstances 

Yes, it was a fluke. I'm glad we now agree ;)

Edited by thurst44

23 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Yea I disagree with this on Every level.

Just like Buffalo was thinking about getting a RB in the draft... It was not about Running more, yet the threat...  them Getting Jones is not about running less... Its about having that weapon/threat that stretches the field to Make Henry more dangerous. This move puts Tennessee in the play off picture and I think Tennessee gets deeper this year then prior years

and

You comparing Jones to Beckhams situations is laughable.

Why is Julio a better deep threat than Corey Davis was last year?  They have very similar Y/R and catch % - the only reason Julio is a bigger name is because in Atlanta with Ryan he was targeted nearly 2x as often because it was a passing offense.  The other difference is that Davis is 26 and healthy and Jones will be 32 and coming off a season with leg/Hamstring injuries.

Basically under Smith - Tennessee was a run first - play action pass team that threw the ball almost 250 times less per season than Atlanta the last 2 seasons - just think about that Atlanta was throwing the ball on average 16 times more per game than Tennessee.  That gives Julio Jones a lot more targets than he will see in Tennessee.

Henry as we often see gets better and better as the game wears on and his carries go up.  So yes - I think there is huge potential that Julio Jones and a new OC get away from what worked and try to utilize more Julio and passing to justify the trade and the big name.  

It has the potential to be exactly what happened with Beckham in Cleveland where they tried to force feed him balls and it cost their previous HC a job.  Then Stefanski comes in and the offense struggles in the passing game - Beckham gets hurt and suddenly they focus on running and spreading the ball out and get better.

It is my opinion and yes the trade helps the Titans, but it does not make them a better offense than last year and it really has potential to take the ball away from Henry and put it in Tannehill’s and that to me is a potential step back.  

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

End of the day I would love to have Jones but if were investing in an impact player I would prefer it be either RB/TE or dominate pass rusher. They have the money to do it now if someone becomes available. 

Assuming Titans are paying him his whole salary of 15 million this year I do not think he would have been a good investment for us. We need to be looking more for a TE, or DB. We are very strong at WR and cost needs to be a major concern there 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, RussellDopeland said:

Titans are still not winning anything with that QB. Tannehill is a poor man's Kirk Cousins- in other words, pedestrian (at best). The days of winning Super Bowls with Defense, a strong running game, but with mediocrities at QB (like Hostetler, Dilfer or Brad Johnson) are over. If the Titans want to win a championship, they'd better make Green Bay an offer they can't refuse for Rogers.

Did you not watch the last two SuperBowls?  It was all defense that won both games.

4 hours ago, NewEra said:

You’re completely writing off a team and your reason is because they beat us under strange circumstances and because we advanced further in this years playoffs. They’re good team.  They just got better. They can absolutely end our season. 

They were a good team that didn’t win a single playoff game and then lost numerous key pieces on both sides of the ball. If anything this  move just drew them back to even. You honestly need to step back and count to ten. Good lord. 

….. and stop obsessing over a random week 5 game. They beat us bad. So what. It happens all over the league. The bills ended being the better team and most likely still are…. This seems like an odd hill to die on. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea it was similar to the Chiefs championship game. We couldn’t touch Tanne like we couldn’t touch Mahomes….. absolutely destroyed at the LOS and the defense was torched.

Hopefully our young draft picks make an impact this season. 

Hopefully someone opposite Tre can hang with Jones.. Levi will get torched and swatted away. 

Considering we were starting Josh Norman and Cam Lewis in that game last season, I’ll take White and Wallace all day.

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

But they beat us under difficult circumstances last year.....that obviously makes us better, right?

One year of real success has gotten to peoples heads.  And it’s painful to read 

No. What obviously makes us better is being 2 games better than them in the regular season and then advancing to the title game while beating a team they couldn’t handle. All while having a budding superstar at QB. But by all means keep bringing up the week 5 matchup…. 

and the Bills have been to the playoffs in 3 of the last 4 seasons while attaining what seems to be an elite qb.  You’ll

have to excuse everyone for having high expectations for the squad. By all means feel free to point out that week 5 matchup again. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

10 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Anything that takes the ball out of Henry’s hands and puts it into Tannehill’s hands makes Tennessee a worse team.

I think this is like when Beckham plays in Cleveland and the offense is actually worse that when he is injured and out and they become a Running Back focused offense with play action to the remaining guys.

I politely disagree. I think Henry is still going to see a ton of carries. This will just make the passing game better. Quite a bit better.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Did you not watch the last two SuperBowls?  It was all defense that won both games.

Yeah, the scores were 6- 0 and 7-3, weren't they?

You're right that defenses were important in both games. So were offenses, though.

Also worth pointing out that winning a Super Bowl isn't a one-day thing. In fact, winning the game might be the easiest part. The hard part reaching the Super Bowl. Both winners had good defenses, you're right about that.

The people who think defense doesn't matter have lost the plot. It's still huge.

35 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Considering we were starting Josh Norman and Cam Lewis in that game last season, I’ll take White and Wallace all day.

Yup. And Edmunds and Oliver were still fighting through injuries that greatly handicapped them, plus Milano wasn't even active. Our best defense was not on the field that day.

Still, Tennessee is a genuinely good team that just got better.

38 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

They were a good team that didn’t win a single playoff game and then lost numerous key pieces on both sides of the ball. If anything this  move just drew them back to even. You honestly need to step back and count to ten. Good lord. 

….. and stop obsessing over a random week 5 game. They beat us bad. So what. It happens all over the league. The bills ended being the better team and most likely still are…. This seems like an odd hill to die on. 

All

in saying is the titans can beat us in the playoffs. They are a good team.  They lost key pieces and replaced them with good players.  

I’ll take a step back when you wake up and realize that we aren’t some unstoppable force.  Good teams can beat us.  We lost to a team that didn’t make the playoffs....a team that made the playoffs, in the tougher conference certainly has a chance to beat us as well.  I’m not saying they are better.  I’m not saying they’ll be favored. I’m saying. That they can beat us. If you think that that statement is outlandish, @DC Tom can finish the rest 

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

All

in saying is the titans can beat us in the playoffs. They are a good team.  They lost key pieces and replaced them with good players.  

I’ll take a step back when you wake up and realize that we aren’t some unstoppable force.  Good teams can beat us.  We lost to a team that didn’t make the playoffs....a team that made the playoffs, in the tougher conference certainly has a chance to beat us as well.  I’m not saying they are better.  I’m not saying they’ll be favored. I’m saying. That they can beat us. If you think that that statement is outlandish, @DC Tom can finish the rest 

Man, it’s the NFL. anybody taking any week for granted is just foolish. The Titans can certainly beat the bills. I would say as we stand right now the bills are STILL the better team. And since when does me thinking the bills should still be regarded as the better team hint towards me thinking they are some sort of unstoppable force? Anybody that’s paid attention to the league in general for an extended period of time knows that saying that about any team is silly. It’s why I chuckle at anybody that’s just locking the Chiefs into the Super Bowl again…

The Bills make the playoffs in 3 of the last 4 years and look to have an elite QB and you’re getting all butt hurt that people aren’t terrified of the Titans and actually expect to win most games now. The Titans clearly lost key pieces. They added a couple as well. If it’s not a wash let’s say it’s slightly better. Sorry, I’m not gonna sound the horn and run for the hills over that. 

i Guess I just don’t get your vigor in taking up for this Titans team. So much so that you feel the need to keep referencing a nearly meaningless one game sample size from week 5 of last year. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

People talk about the Bills like they are destined for the SB… they could absolutely lose to a few AFC teams in the playoffs. The conference is stacked. The Titans, Chiefs, Browns can all be better/beat the Bills next season…. Not saying the Bills can’t beat them either but I think it’s all pretty close between the Titans, Bills, and Browns. Chiefs are still in another tier, IMO.

“People” - no, certain Bills fans on a message board. Go figure. You’re so hell bent on tempering excitement you can’t help yourself. 

The Chiefs aren’t in “another tier” - they’re the back-to-back defending AFC champs but tell me, how many teams have done it three times in a row? Look at Gunner’s breakdown of their off-season. If that was the Bills you’d be predicting a 9-8 season. 

We all know the Browns are your new Jets (you were so right on that one) and we all know you’re still sore the Bills didn’t roll with Whaley’s roster when McD took over. You’ve been proven wrong so many times over the past four seasons I’ve lost count.

Youre the guy standing in the corner waiting for a mistake to say “I told you so” and I know you’ve got a list and you’re ready to pounce - Lotulelei, Edmunds, you name it.  Weird way to live your life and follow a team. 

If only the Bills had tendered Mike Gillislee…where we could be…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

43 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Man, it’s the NFL. anybody taking any week for granted is just foolish. The Titans can certainly beat the bills. I would say as we stand right now the bills are STILL the better team. And since when does me thinking the bills should still be regarded as the better team hint towards me thinking they are some sort of unstoppable force? Anybody that’s paid attention to the league in general for an extended period of time knows that saying that about any team is silly. It’s why I chuckle at anybody that’s just locking the Chiefs into the Super Bowl again…

The Bills make the playoffs in 3 of the last 4 years and look to have an elite QB and you’re getting all butt hurt that people aren’t terrified of the Titans and actually expect to win most games now. The Titans clearly lost key pieces. They added a couple as well. If it’s not a wash let’s say it’s slightly better. Sorry, I’m not gonna sound the horn and run for the hills over that. 

i Guess I just don’t get your vigor in taking up for this Titans team. So much so that you feel the need to keep referencing a nearly meaningless one game sample size from week 5 of last year. 

I was having back and forths with other members and you quoted me. My comment was regarding this entire thread, not ust you 

• Like (+1) 1