Falcons trading Julio Jones to Titans

Julio will make some plays for Tenn but overall it won’t be an impactful signing for the Titans. Here is the thing, Jones hardly ever practices, due to injuries. Julio is perhaps the quietest “diva” receiver ever. He doesn’t ever say anything. Ryan and Jones developed chemistry from playing together so many years, lately Julio was hardly ever at practice during the season, and definitely wasn’t a full participant when at practice. This is similar to the T.O. Signing for the Bills from the standpoint that the player is on the downside of their career and playing with a mediocre QB.

2 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I respect Mike Vrabel so much. The guy is a great coach.

I don't like Vrabel and I don't think he is a great Xs and Os guy but he gets his teams ready to play week in and week out and they are gonna fight you all the way. The team definitely embodies its coach. 

I also think Jon Robinson is one of the least heralded but most consistent GMs out there. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

As of now, I think we’re a contender that will likely get bounced before the SB.....unless 17 makes another huge step forward (which is unlikely imo).  He could be better, Just not sure if he’ll be significantly better

You realize there's more to teams than QBs who can improve, right. Edmunds, Oliver, Epenesa, Knox, Singletary, Moss, Ford, even Allen, White, Milano, and Dawkins are 27 or under and many have likely come nowhere near their peak. Their defense was top 3 in 2018 and 2019, and there's many reasons to believe they'll bounce back. When you knock us for not replacing our right tackle b/c he had a bad game you kind of gloss over the fact that Darryl Williams is still well under 30 was an all-pro just a few years ago and was considered one of the best in the league last year by most sources, even PFF. Do you really think replacing him will make us better. And if you're right, we drafted a huge right tackle prospect in the draft. 

It’s an excuse.  That’s exactly what it is.  Read the definition.  

Ok, if you want to go that way, I was arguing more about the idiom and the way you were using it. Yes, they are "excuses" but they are VERY VALID EXCUSES. "I lost to him in the marathon because I had a broken leg and he was on a scooter" "My cake was not as good as theirs because they were given flour and sugar and I was given rocks and gravel" My point was the loss was excusable.

Anyway, we had 13 wins, they had 11, we won two games in the post-season, they won zero. If you look at the first five games of the Titans, they lost to the Vikings, Texans, Broncos, and Jaguars by a total of 6 pts (in regulation). Does it not seem like an anomaly that the 13-3 Bills were blown out? Again, should we consider the Jets better than the Browns last year b/c they beat them in a game that almost prevented the Browns from making the playoffs. Football is known for Any Given Sunday and that this game was played on a Tuesday should be all the more reminder that it was a weird game and we should not really use it as a major source for determining the strength of teams. 

They signed Jones, but they also lost a whole lot of their defense and a young WR with almost 1000 yards and their starting tight end. Oh, and you mention Clowney as a reason another team improved without mentioning that it was the Titans (the whole topic of this thread) who lost him. Their first round pick may not play next year. The Titans signing Julio Jones is a good move for them and makes them better than they were in May of 2021, but on the whole it does not likely make up for the net loss they've had of players since the end of 2020. It was an off-season that had many experts expecting they would be the team to collapse this year. Titans are still a tier below us and I predict we beat them for the third time in the last four years. 

Edited by thurst44
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

A 2nd and 4th round pick plus cap space that we don't have... 

Yea full stop for anyone that thought we were a serious destination for him.  

His contract is atrocious and he's 32.  Wasn't remotely interested.  

Glad he didn't end up with the Chargers.  

26 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

You realize there's more to teams than QBs who can improve, right. Edmunds, Oliver, Epenesa, Knox, Singletary, Moss, Ford, even Allen, White, Milano, and Dawkins are 27 or under and many have likely come nowhere near their peak. Their defense was top 3 in 2018 and 2019, and there's many reasons to believe they'll bounce back. When you knock us for not replacing our right tackle b/c he had a bad game you kind of gloss over the fact that Darryl Williams is still well under 30 was an all-pro just a few years ago and was considered one of the best in the league last year by most sources, even PFF. Do you really think replacing him will make us better. And if you're right, we drafted a huge right tackle prospect in the draft. 

Ok, if you want to go that way, I was arguing more about the idiom and the way you were using it. Yes, they are "excuses" but they are VERY VALID EXCUSES. "I lost to him in the marathon because I had a broken leg and he was on a scooter" "My cake was not as good as theirs because they were given flour and sugar and I was given rocks and gravel" My point was the loss was excusable.

Anyway, we had 13 wins, they had 11, we won two games in the post-season, they won zero. If you look at the first five games of the Titans, they lost to the Vikings, Texans, Broncos, and Jaguars by a total of 6 pts (in regulation). Does it not seem like an anomaly that the 13-3 Bills were blown out? Again, should we consider the Jets better than the Browns last year b/c they beat them in a game that almost prevented the Browns from making the playoffs. Football is known for Any Given Sunday and that this game was played on a Tuesday should be all the more reminder that it was a weird game and we should not really use it as a major source for determining the strength of teams. 

They signed Jones, but they also lost a whole lot of their defense and a young WR with almost 1000 yards and their starting tight end. Oh, and you mention Clowney as a reason another team improved without mentioning that it was the Titans (the whole topic of this thread) who lost him. Their first round pick may not play next year. The Titans signing Julio Jones is a good move for them and makes them better than they were in May of 2021, but on the whole it does not likely make up for the net loss they've had of players since the end of 2020. It was an off-season that had many experts expecting they would be the team to collapse this year. Titans are still a tier below us and I predict we beat them for the third time in the last four years. 

You’re completely writing off a team and your reason is because they beat us under strange circumstances and because we advanced further in this years playoffs. They’re good team.  They just got better. They can absolutely end our season. 

5 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Anything that takes the ball out of Henry’s hands and puts it into Tannehill’s hands makes Tennessee a worse team.

I think this is like when Beckham plays in Cleveland and the offense is actually worse that when he is injured and out and they become a Running Back focused offense with play action to the remaining guys.

Yea I disagree with this on Every level.

Just like Buffalo was thinking about getting a RB in the draft... It was not about Running more, yet the threat...  them Getting Jones is not about running less... Its about having that weapon/threat that stretches the field to Make Henry more dangerous. This move puts Tennessee in the play off picture and I think Tennessee gets deeper this year then prior years

and

You comparing Jones to Beckhams situations is laughable.

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You’re completely writing off a team and your reason is because they beat us under strange circumstances and because we advanced further in this years playoffs. They’re good team.  They just got better. They can absolutely end our season. 

People here are funny like that. They’ll be drooling over the idea of getting Ertz but disregard a really good team getting Julio Jones. 

Jones, Brown and Henry are amazing weapons to have on offense and Tannehill is a pretty good QB.

• Agree 1

Tannehill is mediocre without Henry. Look what the Ravens did to the Titans when they took King Henry out of the equation. Tannehill goes 18/26 for 165. Good move to get Julio because Tannehill does not have the talent to carry his team when the run game isn't there to make his life easy. Tannehill= Game Manager. JA put up MVP numbers with no run game and at times a sputtering defense. Julio if healthy could be the missing piece for them.  Him, AJ and Henry is quite the trio.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

People here are funny like that. They’ll be drooling over the idea of getting Ertz but disregard a really good team getting Julio Jones. 

Jones, Brown and Henry are amazing weapons to have on offense and Tannehill is a pretty good QB.

But they beat us under difficult circumstances last year.....that obviously makes us better, right?

One year of real success has gotten to peoples heads.  And it’s painful to read 

2 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Tannehill is mediocre without Henry. Look what the Ravens did to the Titans when they took King Henry out of the equation. Tannehill goes 18/26 for 165. Good move to get Julio because Tannehill does not have the talent to carry his team when the run game isn't there to make his life easy. Tannehill= Game Manager. JA put up MVP numbers with no run game and at times a sputtering defense. Julio if healthy could be the missing piece for them.  Him, AJ and Henry is quite the trio.

In fairness the Ravens do that to every QB

Outside of Mahomes who has had a good game against that secondary the last 2 years?  

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Based on what? Titans beat the Bills last year and the Browns were more competitive than the Bills against the Chiefs in the playoffs.  Many extenuating circumstances in the Titans game of course but to dismiss them seems a bit odd.  Brown's off-season has been great so far. They addressed their secondary and added to the DL.  

Titans are the team to beat in the AFC South.  AFC North will beat themselves up all year and the winner of that division may only be 9-7 in the end but they will be a tough out in the playoffs whether it is the Browns or Ravens.

Bills still have the second best QB in the AFC.  If the pass rush gets better they have a great shot at the SB.  The AFC is a lot closer than people think.

The Packers lost because of their defense. They already have a top 3 WR if not the best WR in football.  

One was a covid game all screwed up. The other Mahomes went out early in the 3rd quarter. Don't want to hear it.

Edited by TBBills

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

But they beat us under difficult circumstances last year.....that obviously makes us better, right?

One year of real success has gotten to peoples heads.  And it’s painful to read 

I think a lot of people can't get over how bad they were with Mariota and that Tannehill is actually good.  

1 hour ago, Victory Formation said:

Tannehill is a pain in the rear end when he gets going. I don’t think he’s a bad QB at all. Consistently accurate, deadly with the play action when their running game gets going. Vrabel is also a heckuva coach who utilizes his talents the right way. They’re a very underrated team, sneaky good, maybe even contenders. I don’t see too many weaknesses in them.

Look at their defense - I think it is a potential weakness.  

I also think losing their Run balanced OC and bringing in a potential #1 WR throws some of the balance of the offense out - similar to what happened to Dallas and Cleveland when they brought in #1 WRs and got away from their run first offenses and got worse.

Julio Jones averages similar Y/R to Corey Davis and similar catch percentage.  He is a bigger name, but he is not necessarily a better receiver any longer.  The biggest difference was in Atlanta he was getting 160-170 targets a year.  Corey Davis was getting 90 targets and AJ Brown was getting around 100 targets.  

If Jones gets the targets that went to Davis or Brown he will be right around 1000 yards and AJ Brown will be in the same spot - basically the same as last year.  If they try to force him the ball to get numbers like Atl - then he is taking plays away from Henry.

It is the exact opposite argument to why the Bills should not be trying to get a big time RB - in these cases you are taking the ball out of your best players hands.  For the Bills, anything that takes the ball out of Josh hands takes points of the board.  For Tennessee, anything that gets them away from Henry and a running attack and puts the ball in Tannehill’s hands changes that team and not for the better.  If they maintain their current running game and basically use him as they did Davis - they will be fine, but they would have been better to have the younger more explosive player.

Julio would of had more potential impact in KC, Buffalo, or LA than he will in Tennessee or Baltimore.  I think this move almost brings the Tennessee offense back to last year and their defense is not as good - so I think they will be in a dog fight for that division.  I think they are probably the 3rd tier with Baltimore, Indy, LA, and Miami.  Good enough to win their division potentially and beat any team on any given week, but if they play a better team and get their best they are not good enough.  Everything needs to fall just right for them.

The Titans were already a good team. We'll have to see how the defense pans out, but they have the makings of being a REALLY good team now. Derrick Henry, AJ Brown, Julio Jones, and the serviceable Ryan Tannehill aren't anything to take lightly. Teams also won't be able to just key on the running game either. 

Edited by H2o