Falcons trading Julio Jones to Titans

52 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

A 2nd and 4th round pick plus cap space that we don't have... By the same logic the Chiefs should have traded for Julio Jones too. But they also can't afford it. I think getting Ertz will be a lot more helpful than you might think. Give Allen a TE that he can trust and he will be more willing to take the easy yards. Hopefully Breida gives us a new element in the run game. Other than that there isn't much room for talent improvement on the offense. The coaches and players simply have to do better against the Chiefs. They don't have an elite defense, there's no real reason for our offense to stumble against them.

Good calls HD.  The Titans will be good, but they and the Colts get to beat each other up. That could definitely be a split in their division.  I was really hoping for the Jags to grab him just to beat on these two teams.

im betting the Colts pick up another FA or two as they still have lots of $.

5 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I'm outraged!  Theres no reason we don't sign every good FA and trade 7th round picks for people like Jones. Beane asleep at the wheel. SMH

It’s almost as if these guys don’t know how easy it is to improve a 15-4 AFCCG team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

The good teams crest cap room by restructuring.....we have contracts that can be restructured.  We paid Diggs his salary in cash and eliminated the majority of his hit. We can do the same with several players.

it’ll be unfortunate if the titans beat us in the playoffs.  

If they beat us it won't be because we didn't trade for Jones. Adding to an existing strength is not going to make the Bills much better.

I'm all for trading for a player, but it should be in an area of need.

• Agree 2

25 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

They could easily restructure Tannehill's contract to give them 20 million in cap space this year.  Tannehill said the other day they haven't asked him to but I have a feeling they might now.

How do you get the 20 million in cap space?  Show your work please.  My math said maybe $10M

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How do you get the 20 million in cap space?  Show your work please.  My math said maybe $10M

Sorry.  I meant they could restructure his contract taking 15 million off the books giving them 20 million in cap space total to absorb Jones's contract.

20 minutes ago, MJS said:

If they beat us it won't be because we didn't trade for Jones. Adding to an existing strength is not going to make the Bills much better.

I'm all for trading for a player, but it should be in an area of need.

There are several ways to get better man.  The passing game was our strength....but it could have been better.  Outscoring the opposition is how you win. Our WRs couldn’t get open vs KC in both games. It looks as if we plan on improving our run game with scheme and breida.

I agree, that adding to a weakness can also help.  Pass rush, run game, cb2 were our biggest weaknesses.  We addressed pass rush with 1st, 2nd rd picks and Obada.  We addressed the run game with brieda and talk of a new scheme......we didn’t address cb2 at all unless Wildgoose proves me wrong.  I don’t think Julio is the only guy that could’ve helped us get over the top.  I just think he is a missed opportunity.  But it’s not too late.  I hope we use that cap room we created with Diggs will yield a starting caliber player that can help us win the SB in 21.  As long as we do that, I’ll be happy.  If we roll that cap space over, I’ll be disappointed.

And with all due respect, you have no idea if the titans will beat us because of Jones.  Literally....no clue

Edited by NewEra
  • Disagree 1

49 minutes ago, Process said:

We went into this off-season NEEDING to add a playmaker on offense. We didn't. 

While I won't argue we could have used an upgrade at RB and TE - it's absolutely crazy to say we NEEDED another playmaking WR. Josh threw for over 4500 yards last year with Diggs, Beasley, and Davis. Sanders provides an over the middle, in traffic, contested catcher that we didn't have while maintaining Diggs, Beasley, and Davis. WR is a strength on our roster. "NEED" is a word I'd use to describe other positions such as CB, 1-Tech DT, TE, or RB. And what it would have required in cap space we'll need for Josh and Tremaine (or help in positions more worse off) is too much for a luxury that also would have required someone like Gabe Davis riding the pine more than I'd have liked. 

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 2

I think this is a good move for the Titans, not for us. Not sure if Julio will be excited to play with Tanny.    I think while it would look pretty madden good on paper I see much more value us trying to upgrade at Tight End.  Barring making any more moves  Right now (I still think we may make a move for Ertz)  I guess Beane had decided to go with continuity on keeping the band together and More production /accountability from our current squad- add in Braieda and Sanders. Offense will be fine and could be even more elite with better run game and tight end play. 

I am very excited to see us play tenn again. I do think we just got on the wrong end of field position most of that game. More importantly that game and the Chiefs was a Turning  point for our offense and Josh. We had to become less big play and more patient. I think our offense plays them a lot better this time around. 

This season to me hinges on D. Pass rush, Cb2. Still would like to kick the bucket on one more cb. 

Anyone thing Rodgers fuming the Pack not making a play for Julio!

41 minutes ago, Process said:

We should have made a run at him. I would have given our 2 and 4 next year and no draft picks in return. 

Julio/Fuller/Samuel/early draft pick is what we needed. The Sanders signing was awful and useless. I love me some Beane but it was a bad signing and if you think otherwise you are just wrong. At this point in his career he is just a poor man's Diggs/Beasley. He won't add anything to this offense that we don't already have, an offense that was not good enough to compete with the Chiefs last year. 

Diggs, a few solid receivers, and no TE or run game is not going to be good enough. Hopefully guys like Knox, Davis, Moss etc step it up and can become playmakers, and we'll be alright. But this was the time to make a splash and go for it. 

Oh well.

We finished number two in offense last year.  We're returning 10 of our 11 starters.  I don't see our RB or TE production getting any worse this season.  I see Sanders as a more reliable option than John Brown.  I'd rather see Beane commit financially to a CB2 and/or 1 technique DT.

Julio was too much of a risk to make that kind of financial commitment and give up future draft assets for.  This move could easily backfire on the Titans if those soft tissue injuries linger and/or he loses a step.  Julio could be great for them still but I'm never a fan of paying an aging veteran that much money based on past production.

• Like (+1) 2

52 minutes ago, Process said:

We should have made a run at him. I would have given our 2 and 4 next year and no draft picks in return. 

Julio/Fuller/Samuel/early draft pick is what we needed. The Sanders signing was awful and useless. I love me some Beane but it was a bad signing and if you think otherwise you are just wrong. At this point in his career he is just a poor man's Diggs/Beasley. He won't add anything to this offense that we don't already have, an offense that was not good enough to compete with the Chiefs last year. 

Diggs, a few solid receivers, and no TE or run game is not going to be good enough. Hopefully guys like Knox, Davis, Moss etc step it up and can become playmakers, and we'll be alright. But this was the time to make a splash and go for it. 

Oh well.

Well as long as you put it that way, you must be right then...

😶

2 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Somebody jealous or is that to Atlanta for giving them a good player??

I'm in my 50's and don't speak Twitter but I'm wondering why nobody's commenting on this.  Looks to me like A.J. Brown is upset but I'm not sure.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TBBills said:

Titans and Browns are 2 teams people over estimate. 

Based on what? Titans beat the Bills last year and the Browns were more competitive than the Bills against the Chiefs in the playoffs.  Many extenuating circumstances in the Titans game of course but to dismiss them seems a bit odd.  Brown's off-season has been great so far. They addressed their secondary and added to the DL.  

Titans are the team to beat in the AFC South.  AFC North will beat themselves up all year and the winner of that division may only be 9-7 in the end but they will be a tough out in the playoffs whether it is the Browns or Ravens.

Bills still have the second best QB in the AFC.  If the pass rush gets better they have a great shot at the SB.  The AFC is a lot closer than people think.

27 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

I think this is a good move for the Titans, not for us. Not sure if Julio will be excited to play with Tanny.    I think while it would look pretty madden good on paper I see much more value us trying to upgrade at Tight End.  Barring making any more moves  Right now (I still think we may make a move for Ertz)  I guess Beane had decided to go with continuity on keeping the band together and More production /accountability from our current squad- add in Braieda and Sanders. Offense will be fine and could be even more elite with better run game and tight end play. 

I am very excited to see us play tenn again. I do think we just got on the wrong end of field position most of that game. More importantly that game and the Chiefs was a Turning  point for our offense and Josh. We had to become less big play and more patient. I think our offense plays them a lot better this time around. 

This season to me hinges on D. Pass rush, Cb2. Still would like to kick the bucket on one more cb. 

Anyone thing Rodgers fuming the Pack not making a play for Julio!

The Packers lost because of their defense. They already have a top 3 WR if not the best WR in football.  

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Anything that takes the ball out of Henry’s hands and puts it into Tannehill’s hands makes Tennessee a worse team.

I think this is like when Beckham plays in Cleveland and the offense is actually worse that when he is injured and out and they become a Running Back focused offense with play action to the remaining guys.

Tannehill is a pain in the rear end when he gets going. I don’t think he’s a bad QB at all. Consistently accurate, deadly with the play action when their running game gets going. Vrabel is also a heckuva coach who utilizes his talents the right way. They’re a very underrated team, sneaky good, maybe even contenders. I don’t see too many weaknesses in them.

3 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Tannehill is a pain in the rear end when he gets going. I don’t think he’s a bad QB at all. Consistently accurate, deadly with the play action when their running game gets going. Vrabel is also a heckuva coach who utilizes his talents the right way. They’re a very underrated team, sneaky good, maybe even contenders. I don’t see too many weaknesses in them.

Secondary and I am still a tad concerned about their pass rush. They brought Dupree over but they brought guys in last year too I just don't think the scheme is a favourable one at generating lots of 1v1 opportunities for rushers. Add to that Dupree off an injury and no longer playing opposite TJ Watt and it wouldn't surprise me if he was one of the free agent disappointments of 2021. 

But I agree they are perennially underrated. In terms of teams on the longest current run of consecutive winning seasons it is Seattle #1, Kansas City #2 and then Tennessee #3 (with 5). Not sure many people would guess that.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Secondary and I am still a tad concerned about their pass rush. They brought Dupree over but they brought guys in last year too I just don't think the scheme is a favourable one at generating lots of 1v1 opportunities for rushers. Add to that Dupree off an injury and no longer playing opposite TJ Watt and it wouldn't surprise me if he was one of the free agent disappointments of 2021. 

But I agree they are perennially underrated. In terms of teams on the longest current run of consecutive winning seasons it is Seattle #1, Kansas City #2 and then Tennessee #3 (with 5). Not sure many people would guess that.  

I respect Mike Vrabel so much. The guy is a great coach.

• Vomit 1

9 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

He wasn't nearly as much of a pain in the rear when in Miami and his OC just left for Atlanta coaching job and he'll be 33. He could be a late bloomer, even better in 2021 and play at a high level until he's 40, but there's probably better odds that he regresses this year and the last couple years were fluky or part of a system.