Falcons trading Julio Jones to Titans

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

This is ridiculous.  They added one of the best WRs in league history who is still playing at a very high level. Julio instantly makes Henry a better RB.  Who’s to say that they are going to run less?  Ever see Julio Jones as a motivated run blocker?  That’s not why they traded for him, but it’s just another reason why he’s such a great acquisition.  He makes them better in every aspect.  They lost their best outside WR and replaced him with one of the best ever.  We should hope he gets hurt prior to our meeting with them.  

all this talk about them not being a top tier team is nonsense (not your post, but the rest of the thread).  They handed us our worst regular season beating of the year last season.....and Henry did little to nothing.  They are absolutely a threat to us.  People should to wake up and realize that 13-3 and making the AFCCG in 2020 doesn’t mean Jack.  The titans made the AFCCG in 2019.....and smashed us in 2020.

Sorry, but that Bills-Titans game last year has a big ol' asterisk next to it, and I think you know that. The Titans had an astounding 16-day rest while the Bills had to practice for both Titans and Chiefs, not knowing which team they were playing. And if you're gonna say, well, the Titans had a lot of players out with COVID, we also had Tre White and Matt Milano out and Tremaine playing with one arm for all intents and purposes. Yes, they won, but it says nothing about whether they were better than us. Were the Jets better than the Browns last year--the Browns lost under normal circumstances with the playoffs still on the line. I'm impatient for the Titans rematch this year, b/c I could see it being a revenge game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

Sorry, but that Bills-Titans game last year has a big ol' asterisk next to it, and I think you know that. The Titans had an astounding 16-day rest while the Bills had to practice for both Titans and Chiefs, not knowing which team they were playing. And if you're gonna say, well, the Titans had a lot of players out with COVID, we also had Tre White and Matt Milano out and Tremaine playing with one arm for all intents and purposes. Yes, they won, but it says nothing about whether they were better than us. Were the Jets better than the Browns last year--the Browns lost under normal circumstances with the playoffs still on the line. I'm impatient for the Titans rematch this year, b/c I could see it being a revenge game. 

Our A game vs Tenn A game?

Us. All day.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

A 2nd and 4th round pick plus cap space that we don't have... By the same logic the Chiefs should have traded for Julio Jones too. But they also can't afford it. I think getting Ertz will be a lot more helpful than you might think. Give Allen a TE that he can trust and he will be more willing to take the easy yards. Hopefully Breida gives us a new element in the run game. Other than that there isn't much room for talent improvement on the offense. The coaches and players simply have to do better against the Chiefs. They don't have an elite defense, there's no real reason for our offense to stumble against them.

We can make room by restructuring.  The chiefs had already restructured over 25M in cap savings for 2021 and made huge additions to greatly improve their team.    The chiefs are hoping that 2 proven stars will improve their OL. 

Where did we greatly improve?  We sure hope that 2 draft picks can turn around our pass rush.  We hope that a scheme change and a minimum salary rb can greatly improve our run game.  We still don’t have a CB2 that can cover anyone in man......which is what we played the majority of our 3rd downs on D.  

I hope I’m wrong.  I just don’t see how we’ve improved enough to take down the chiefs.  I feel the browns and titans are right there with us and wouldn’t be surprised if we got beat prior to the AFCCG.  A lot is riding on Daboll being able to scheme a good run game and our unproven draft picks greatly improving our pass rush.  I think it’s currently unlikely that we will be the best team in football for 2021, Josh’s last season making 7M per year.  It jumps to 23 next year then 40M+.  I just see it as a wasted opportunity to land an elite player

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Why - is much older Julio Jones a significant improvement on Davis who they let walk.  Maybe slightly, but now they have a wr that they will feel the need to feed the ball - especially with a new OC.

I look at it as the best player on that team by far is Henry and you are now taking handoffs and gameplans and shifting them to Tannehill and that is the 8 -10 best player on the team.

Julio Jones is good, but Tannehill is not as good as Matt Ryan and you are potentially changing the entire dynamic of the offense from a grind it out - smack you in the face offense to an offense that features WRs with a very average QB.

you can’t give Henry 700 touches a year. 

this takes pressure off him and is a good thing for Tennessee.

1 hour ago, RussellDopeland said:

Titans are still not winning anything with that QB. Tannehill is a poor man's Kirk Cousins- in other words, pedestrian (at best). The days of winning Super Bowls with Defense, a strong running game, but with mediocrities at QB (like Hostetler, Dilfer or Brad Johnson) are over. If the Titans want to win a championship, they'd better make Green Bay an offer they can't refuse for Rogers.

The days of winning a SB with defense are over?

Did you miss the last SB?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

This is ridiculous.  They added one of the best WRs in league history who is still playing at a very high level. Julio instantly makes Henry a better RB.  Who’s to say that they are going to run less?  Ever see Julio Jones as a motivated run blocker?  That’s not why they traded for him, but it’s just another reason why he’s such a great acquisition.  He makes them better in every aspect.  They lost their best outside WR and replaced him with one of the best ever.  We should hope he gets hurt prior to our meeting with them.  

all this talk about them not being a top tier team is nonsense (not your post, but the rest of the thread).  They handed us our worst regular season beating of the year last season.....and Henry did little to nothing.  They are absolutely a threat to us.  People should to wake up and realize that 13-3 and making the AFCCG in 2020 doesn’t mean Jack.  The titans made the AFCCG in 2019.....and smashed us in 2020.

I just don’t see it.  They lost major pass catchers on offense and replaced Davis with Jones.  They lost their OC who was a huge part of their rushing and play action game.  The new guy just got handed a WR weapon - so immediately it puts more pressure on the team to use him.  

The Titan made the 2019 AFCCG and we beat them n Tennessee that year.  Last year we had to play them will game planning for 2 teams with no idea which players were going to be cleared until right up until game time - where several starters suddenly got cleared.

Last years game was a joke and means nothing plus with everything they loss they still are not even the favorite to win the division over the Colts.

Adding Jones may help or it may be exactly like what you saw with Beckham in Cleveland where the OC tries to gameplan things to get him open and involved and then it backfires as they get away from what they do well.  In the end - it is whatever - they may be better - they may be worse - they may be a team we have to deal with or they may be a team someone else has to deal with.  Whatever - I will take my chances with what we have got and see where we end up.

7 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

They destroyed us.  You can pretend that it didn’t happen or make all the excuses you want.  They trounced us.  It happened.  Sometimes teams encounter unforeseen circumstances.  Sometimes they overcome.  Sometimes they get beat down.  We took a beatdown.

my point is......people are acting like the titans aren’t anything to worry about...and that is absolute nonsense.  “They aren’t a top tier team”......psssh. They can absolutely beat us in the playoffs and end our season.  They are a very good team and just got better today.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

Glad the Pats didn't get him.  Good year for us to get the AFC South considering we would've had to play them anyways.  GET STEVEN NELSON!!!

Edited by Doc Brown

Never made any sense for us unless we were going to move Sanders or Beasley. When you already have one of the best WR cores in the NFL - you don't give up the assets and cap space it would have required for a 5th starting quality WR. Especially with Josh and Tremaine's large deals looming. And i'd have rather not delegated Sanders, Beasley, or Davis to the bench.  

Edited by BillsFanForever19

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Where did we greatly improve?  We sure hope that 2 draft picks can turn around our pass rush.  We hope that a scheme change and a minimum salary rb can greatly improve our run game.  We still don’t have a CB2 that can cover anyone in man......which is what we played the majority of our 3rd downs on D.  

I hope I’m wrong.  I just don’t see how we’ve improved enough to take down the chiefs.

I'm not saying the Bills are better than the Chiefs. Until we prove it on the field the Chiefs are definitively better than us, no question.

I'm hoping between Obada, Rousseau, and Basham, and a 2nd year step from Epenesa, we will have better pass rush production. I'm hoping Edmunds is fully recovered from injury and takes a big step. I'm hoping Oliver takes a big step. Im hoping Breida gives us a speed element. I'm hoping we get Ertz so Allen has a dependable TE check down target. I'm hoping Allen and Daboll finally have a good plan of attack against the Chiefs.

Obviously until any of that actually happens it's a bunch of question marks. Some combination of those possibilities is our best chance to overtake the Chiefs. Probably more than anything, we need our WRs to be healthy and Allen to be willing to take easy yards against them.

But Julio Jones doesn't solve any of the problems we had against the Chiefs last year. In fact he was inactive for the last 4 games of the season last year so it's doubtful he would have seen the field against them if he'd been on the Bills. And if you think I'm being unfair by factoring in an injury, that's been a recurring problem for him the last couple years. You have to accept it as part of the package with him.

18 minutes ago, NewEra said:

They destroyed us.  You can pretend that it didn’t happen or make all the excuses you want.  They trounced us.  It happened.  Sometimes teams encounter unforeseen circumstances.  Sometimes they overcome.  Sometimes they get beat down.  We took a beatdown.

my point is......people are acting like the titans aren’t anything to worry about...and that is absolute nonsense.  “They aren’t a top tier team”......psssh. They can absolutely beat us in the playoffs and end our season.  They are a very good team and just got better today.  

They also got worse before this during the off-season. They may have beat us, but you have to admit that it was absurd circumstances. It's not excuses, it's facts. Based on a whole season, the Titans were a lesser team to us. They also lost a lot in free agency and their top draft pick may not even play next year. It's a good pick up, but the Titans have way more question marks than we do. Tannehill has been meh most of his career and is now 32 and lost the only coach who has got the best out of him. 

Jones is a good pick-up, but we're still the much better, much more complete team and it's not that close, even if they beat us on one of the weirdest given Tuesdays.

Edited by thurst44
  • Like (+1) 1

So who do the Titans restructure or release? 

They can get about $10M by re-structuring Tannehill analogous to what we did with Diggs.

Jones is signed for 3 years and could restructure I guess?

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He does. But he doesn’t have a big arm, two different things. Allbright was referring to the “big arm” part of Julio’s request 

Ah, I see.  That makes sense.

39 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

For the salary cap truthers out there:

This tweet is about the team that has already restructured 25M+ in cap space this offseason to help then win a super bowlin 2021.  They blew their restructure wad to improve already.

We’ve freed up less than half of what they freed up in restructures.....and we’ve added who?  Sanders to replace a wr we cut.  Slight upgrade.  An always injured Rb in brieda (whom I really like, but he’ll be hurt soon, like always).  Resigned milano and the right side of the line that got wrecked and embarrassed by our nemesis.  Obada to a minimum contract.  Hollister, whom I really like, but let’s be honest.  He’s no game changer.  Where did we get significantly better?  

The chiefs OL is significantly better.  The titans passing game had gotten worse.....now, it’s better.  The browns had a great offseason and looks to have significantly upgraded the back end of their D and added Clowney (which might be insignificant).  The ravens significantly improved their WR Corps while resetting the cap of their pass rushers. 

I get why we didn’t restructure more money .....but all I want is one super bowl

win before I die.  I feel that 2021, with allen making 7M, will be our best opportunity to do accomplish that.  Take a shot.  If you think that restructuring 7M and trading a 2nd and. 4th rd pick is going to keep this team from being competitive in the future, then we’ll never win a SB.  

I’ve stated my point and my feelings.  You and many others disagree and I understand why you guys disagree. For that reason, I won’t be replying to everyone.  I understand both sides of the debate.....  it’s just I want to win a super bowl sooner, rather than later and I feel that we are still short of being the best team in the league.  I wasn’t all in on Julio. I’m all In on adding more talent that can help us win the super bowl this year.  Nelson, ertz, Houston, Sherman....player’s via trade.....whatever it may be, I’m hoping we can add someone that can move the needle, even it’s just a fraction.  As of now, I think we’re a contender that will likely get bounced before the SB.....unless 17 makes another huge step forward (which is unlikely imo).  He could be better, Just not sure if he’ll be significantly better

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I'm not saying the Bills are better than the Chiefs. Until we prove it on the field the Chiefs are definitively better than us, no question.

I'm hoping between Obada, Rousseau, and Basham, and a 2nd year step from Epenesa, we will have better pass rush production. I'm hoping Edmunds is fully recovered from injury and takes a big step. I'm hoping Oliver takes a big step. Im hoping Breida gives us a speed element. I'm hoping we get Ertz so Allen has a dependable TE check down target. I'm hoping Allen and Daboll finally have a good plan of attack against the Chiefs.

Obviously until any of that actually happens it's a bunch of question marks. Some combination of those possibilities is our best chance to overtake the Chiefs. Probably more than anything, we need our WRs to be healthy and Allen to be willing to take easy yards against them.

But Julio Jones doesn't solve any of the problems we had against the Chiefs last year. In fact he was inactive for the last 4 games of the season last year so it's doubtful he would have seen the field against them if he'd been on the Bills. And if you think I'm being unfair by factoring in an injury, that's been a recurring problem for him the last couple years. You have to accept it as part of the package with him.

You win by outscoring the opposition......Julio makes our offense better. 

10 minutes ago, thurst44 said:

They also got worse before this during the off-season. They may have beat us, but you have to admit that it was absurd circumstances. It's not excuses, it's facts. Based on a whole season, the Titans were a lesser team to us. They also lost a lot in free agency and their top draft pick may not even play next year. It's a good pick up, but the Titans have way more question marks than we do. Tannehill has been meh most of his career and is now 32 and lost the only coach who has got the best out of him. 

Jones is a good pick-up, but we're still the much better, much more complete team and it's not that close, even if they beat us on one of the weirdest given Tuesdays.

It’s an excuse.  That’s exactly what it is.  Read the definition.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

If so I applaud it

The market for Jones is much more limited given how late in the offseason it was. Very few teams had the cap flexibility to make a trade work which depressed a market. Draft trade ups are a much more open market and values are context dependent. 

I just don’t see the two situations as comparable.

56 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Titans are still the exact same team. Not totally a bad thing they’re a good team. But it’s still the same. Stop Henry, Tannehill cannot carry a game without henry dominating. I’m not sure how many of us watch Tennessee games or just see highlights, cause Tannehill is still a mediocre quarterback. However when Henry has it going EVERYTHING is wide open. Read options where Tannehill gets wonderful runs untouched as the entire defense sells out to stop Henry. Of course we know the play action success. At the end of the day though they are just like Baltimore, stop the run, get a lead and they cannot play from behind. They are a scrappy team and I don’t hate them as much as some, I like what they’ve built minus Tannehill, I have never been impressed with his game. 

The Titans got better but not significantly enough to move the needle they have Oline and defensive concerns while being capped by at best above average QB play. It is a nice trade but not one that is shifting the landscape for the Titans.

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So who do the Titans restructure or release?

They could easily restructure Tannehill's contract to give them 20 million in cap space this year.  Tannehill said the other day they haven't asked him to but I have a feeling they might now.