Trump’s follies

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Don't blame everyone else on here.  You're the one that copied and pasted some nut job on Twitter.  We're just responding to your poor reading comprehension.

Trump told his people to stay home.

Just like he effectively did in Georgia.

See how that turned out?

Idiots 

Trump Rally for Virginia Governor Candidate Featured Pledge to Flag Carried at Jan. 6 Capitol Riot

Billed as a Trump Rally for Youngkin, the event was hosted by Steve Bannon and featured a call-in from former President Donald Trump. At one point in the proceedings, a host introduces a flag as having been carried during what was described as a “peaceful protest” despite the fact that five police officers died as a result of the gruesome riot, one which was clearly a very violent attack on the police. 

https://www.mediaite.com/weird/trump-rally-for-virginia-governor-candidate-featured-pledge-to-flag-carried-at-jan-6-capitol-riot/

6 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Is the stock market no longer the leading indicator of overall economic health?  It was during much of Don's term, according to the experts here.

No, it's not.  And yes, the stock market is doing great: I was talking about all the other issues.

9 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Is the stock market no longer the leading indicator of overall economic health?  It was during much of Don's term, according to the experts here.

This is a fair question, and points to a larger question.  

I was watching NBC coverage on the Baldwin shooting, and the voiceover spoke to questions about security and protocol on the set.  

The reporter, a seasoned and recognizable individual on the show, leads off with something along the lines of  “…It’s important to state that some safety protocol was followed, we’ve seen footage of masks being worn from the set…” before going on to describe the chaos on the set that dealt with the actual shooting and untimely death of a young lady.   

Perspective is important-I’m sure the victim was reassured that masks were in place as she took her last breath, but that’s a very small part of the story, if it’s any part at all. 

The equities market has done what it’s done through every US President since the 1920s.   What seems to impact the market short term is chaos, and chaos is often generated by events and the coverage that flows thereafter.  

During the Trump admin, chaos was the order of the day for media reporting.  From coveffe to Russians  in the WH to Ukrainiamania to Bounties on soldiers to tax breaks for the rich  to accusations of Treason and on to DAILY COVID DEATH COUNT and everything else.  

Interestingly, in spite of the chaos being reported, the economy was roaring.  People were working, unemployment was down, and money was being repatriated and spent.  

Now, there are plenty of warning signs that the $$$ people have is spread very thin, and coupled with the oft pronounced fact that most Americans are 90 days away from financial calamity.  We have a president who seems not to know where he is most days, inflation kicking ass, people struggling, logistic nightmares, horrible mismanagement of the withdrawal from Afghanistan, death dismay and Americans left behind, the incineration of a family in Afghanistan  by the US military, and COVID deaths remarkably high in spite of a hand delivered vax developed under the guidance of the prior admin.  

I’m left to wonder what the market might look like if there was adequate and wide-spread coverage of the nightmarish start to the Biden presidency on a daily basis.  I’m also left to consider the amazing run the market went on during the Trump presidency in spite of the media messaging constant doom and gloom 24/7/365.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

This is a fair question, and points to a larger question.  

I was watching NBC coverage on the Baldwin shooting, and the voiceover spoke to questions about security and protocol on the set.  

The reporter, a seasoned and recognizable individual on the show, leads off with something along the lines of  “…It’s important to state that some safety protocol was followed, we’ve seen footage of masks being worn from the set…” before going on to describe the chaos on the set that dealt with the actual shooting and untimely death of a young lady.   

Perspective is important-I’m sure the victim was reassured that masks were in place as she took her last breath, but that’s a very small part of the story, if it’s any part at all. 

The equities market has done what it’s done through every US President since the 1920s.   What seems to impact the market short term is chaos, and chaos is often generated by events and the coverage that flows thereafter.  

During the Trump admin, chaos was the order of the day for media reporting.  From coveffe to Russians  in the WH to Ukrainiamania to Bounties on soldiers to tax breaks for the rich  to accusations of Treason and on to DAILY COVID DEATH COUNT and everything else.  

Interestingly, in spite of the chaos being reported, the economy was roaring.  People were working, unemployment was down, and money was being repatriated and spent.  

Now, there are plenty of warning signs that the $$$ people have is spread very thin, and coupled with the oft pronounced fact that most Americans are 90 days away from financial calamity.  We have a president who seems not to know where he is most days, inflation kicking ass, people struggling, logistic nightmares, horrible mismanagement of the withdrawal from Afghanistan, death dismay and Americans left behind, the incineration of a family in Afghanistan  by the US military, and COVID deaths remarkably high in spite of a hand delivered vax developed under the guidance of the prior admin.  

I’m left to wonder what the market might look like if there was adequate and wide-spread coverage of the nightmarish start to the Biden presidency on a daily basis.  I’m also left to consider the amazing run the market went on during the Trump presidency in spite of the media messaging constant doom and gloom 24/7/365.  

We're on the longest bull run in history fueled by debt, stimulus spending, corporate tax reductions, and now a global pandemic.  There really isn't any other game in town to make returns since debt yields have disappeared.  The nations top earners realized windfall savings over the past 18 months purely by their inability to travel and leave the house.  All of this landed in the housing market and equity markets.  Meanwhile, the entire service economy was crushed.  The pandemic will go down as another generationally significant event in widening the spread between haves and have nots.  

Honestly, most of what you wrote is difficult to follow.  Lots of disjointed ideas at play.  Your premise that: markets thrive on chaos, chaos is manufactured by the media, the media was out to get Trump.  This seems very much at odds with the idea that the market is performing well now because the media coddles Biden.  Wouldn't the stock market perform even better under Biden if the media was attacking him if this premise is true, and maybe the Trump era would have seen poor stock market performance with fair coverage.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

We're on the longest bull run in history fueled by debt, stimulus spending, corporate tax reductions, and now a global pandemic.  There really isn't any other game in town to make returns since debt yields have disappeared.  The nations top earners realized windfall savings over the past 18 months purely by their inability to travel and leave the house.  All of this landed in the housing market and equity markets.  Meanwhile, the entire service economy was crushed.  The pandemic will go down as another generationally significant event in widening the spread between haves and have nots.  

Honestly, most of what you wrote is difficult to follow.  Lots of disjointed ideas at play.  Your premise that: markets thrive on chaos, chaos is manufactured by the media, the media was out to get Trump.  This seems very much at odds with the idea that the market is performing well now because the media coddles Biden.  Wouldn't the stock market perform even better under Biden if the media was attacking him if this premise is true, and maybe the Trump era would have seen poor stock market performance with fair coverage.

I’m typing on my cell phone, and it may just be that I’m distracted by my incredible windfall as an employer/earner on easy street so perhaps I was not clear.  

My point was that chaos and uncertainty have a negative impact on the equities market, at least in the short term.  

The fact that the economy was booming during the first 3, pre-Covid years of the Trump admin all while he was relentlessly hammered in the media reflected the overall confidence in his pro-business, reduce-onerous-governmental-overreach agenda in spite of the chaos. 

As for Biden et al, my point is that if the press coverage included 24x7 coverage on family corruption, significant mental decline, logistics etc, who knows what the market might look like today.  

I never said the media “coddles” Biden, and if you feel coverage is/was the same across the board I disagree but can understand your perspective.  Still, the market does what the market does and we have 100 years of data to look at. 

2 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

So well said.