Is Chandler Jones available on the NFL's black-market?

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Prior career means little when you're talking about aging players who can decline from getting older and especially coming off injury.  If Jones were, say, 27, it would be a far different story. 

And 1 sack in 4.5 games works-out to 3.5 over a season.  Maybe he gets more, maybe he gets less.  The point is it isn't worth spending a ton of money and a draft pick to take a gamble that least year was a complete fluke and he'll be the player he was prior to his 30s.

The bolded, I agree with 💯 

there’s a BIG difference between that and “he’s done”.  

53 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The bolded, I agree with 💯 

there’s a BIG difference between that and “he’s done”.  

Obviously it’s my opinion.  Time will tell.

On 6/4/2021 at 7:55 PM, The_Ripster said:

Understandably thats a lot spent, yet, will any of those 3 be starting this season?
Epenesa maybe, and that's if they make some serious decisions about Hughes/Addison still unlikely tho.
Honestly, what else do you see the bills putting that first rounder towards next year?  another corner? the roster is practically complete at this point and I don't know about you but I don't see TE the pathway to a superbowl ring. Only thing holding a move like this back, in my mind is prioritizing extending Allen/Edmunds.

Wide receiver.

Beasley and (especially!) Sanders are on the wrong side of 30. Both players are free agents at the end of the year. If you're looking for reasonably young talent at WR you've got Diggs (late 20s) and Davis. If you get a good WR in the 2022 draft, he could spend the next 10 - 12 years catching Allen's passes.

If you don't like the WRs available when the Bills pick, another option is TE. If you don't like the TEs available, then still another option is #2 CB. You could also easily justify using an early pick on the interior offensive line, whether to upgrade one of the OG spots or to draft the eventual replacement for Mitch Morse. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, The_Ripster said:

Would you do it for Hughes+Addison+3rd pick?

That shuffles 10 mill to the cards, we take on Jones' 15 mill and have the possibility to extend his contract. I'm not too familiar with the NFL's rules about restructuring a contract that a team has traded for, but if that were possible could be pretty sweet.

Get Jones then turn the 15 mill this year into 2 years at 7.5 mill and extend him... 

I'd do that deal in a heartbeat. The only problem is that Addison took a pay cut to stay with the Bills. If you trade him now it would be a broken promise, and would reduce the players' trust in Beane. I'd strongly prefer to avoid broken promises.

But if it wasn't for the broken promise thing the deal you propose would be outstanding for the Bills. I'd much rather have Chandler than Hughes + Addison. I'm under the impression that the combination of Hughes' salary and Addison's would be about the same as Chandler's. Not happy about trading away a 3rd round pick, but that's a lot less painful than trading away a first!

Edited by Arm of Harm
  • Agree 1

On 6/5/2021 at 8:55 AM, The_Ripster said:

Understandably thats a lot spent, yet, will any of those 3 be starting this season?
Epenesa maybe, and that's if they make some serious decisions about Hughes/Addison still unlikely tho.
Honestly, what else do you see the bills putting that first rounder towards next year?  another corner? the roster is practically complete at this point and I don't know about you but I don't see TE the pathway to a superbowl ring. Only thing holding a move like this back, in my mind is prioritizing extending Allen/Edmunds.

Um, yes, another corner. Or a center. Or a WR replacement for Sanders, or to do with 1st round picks what good teams do, look down the road and see what high contracts could be replaced soon with a talented young guy on a rookie contract. 

1st round picks are gold. You'd better be getting a Diggs, and Diggs was uninjured, on a much cheaper contract and a ton younger.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Um, yes, another corner. Or a center. Or a WR replacement for Sanders, or to do with 1st round picks what good teams do, look down the road and see what high contracts could be replaced soon with a talented young guy on a rookie contract. 

1st round picks are gold. You'd better be getting a Diggs, and Diggs was uninjured, on a much cheaper contract and a ton younger.

I agree with you, I was only trying to imply that it seems like our current defensive pass rushers will take time to develop so why not focus on the future and the present simultaneously. 

The first round is money I agree, but here are some interesting stats about the first round that I wasn't aware of until recently.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/2/20/8072877/what-the-statistics-tell-us-about-the-draft-by-round

I mean even Diggs was selected in the fifth round, 146th overall. 1st round picks are gold tho I do agree with u and they should be treated as such. I did retract my opening statement in other posts here and concluded I wouldn't spend more than a 3rd for Jones.

Personally, I'd like some secondary help in the first round in next year's draft. Heck, anything defence besides DE next year makes sense in the 1st also.
OR
I'd love for the Bills to get a behemoth of a defensive lineman for this season + future seasons that can usurp last years starters.

First round draft picks that hit are gold.  Top-5 picks hit at around 70% while the remainder yield a 50% hit rate, and a much lower percentage become Pro Bowlers, much less All-Pros. 

I think Beane would be all to happy to trade one or two veteran DEs. We have a stockpile of them. I also think he'd love to trade away an OLman. Not sure anyone is interested, but we have a lot of players at premium positions. QB included. Seems to me someone will be desperate enough by the time training camp starts to heat up and someone goes down with an injury. I think Beane has been purposefully stockpiling, biding his time, and waiting for some desperate team to come along and over pay for someone he never intended to keep in the first place.

What he isn't going to do is over pay for a Chandler Jones.

Edited by Rockinon

12 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I don't want him for 15 million a year regardless of compensation. If he is cut then I want the talent but not for his cost.

If chandler Jones was cut, you wouldn’t be ok paying him 15M for the 2021 season?

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

If chandler Jones was cut, you wouldn’t be ok paying him 15M for the 2021 season?

Not even close- he is talented but has been injured and we use a rotation. I also at this point do not consider him a top 5 Edge guy. 2017 sure but not 2021.

1 minute ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Not even close- he is talented but has been injured and we use a rotation. I also at this point do not consider him a top 5 Edge guy. 2017 sure but not 2021.

2017?.....did you forget about 19 sacks in 2019?  NINETEEN......then got hurt last season.  These tales are crazy.  

agree to disagree 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

2017?.....did you forget about 19 sacks in 2019?  NINETEEN......then got hurt last season.  These tales are crazy.  

agree to disagree 

It seems longer than 2019 to me- still not giving him 15 million but I want him a lot more now. 

51 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

It seems longer than 2019 to me- still not giving him 15 million but I want him a lot more now. 

“Seems like”. Seems like you don’t know much about the NFL to me

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

“Seems like”. Seems like you don’t know much about the NFL to me

Because the past year has felt like a few years I don't know about the NFL? Or is it because I don't think this Bills team would be best serve by giving Jones 15 million when we don't even have that much cap room right now? Either way strange attack.

44 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Because the past year has felt like a few years I don't know about the NFL? Or is it because I don't think this Bills team would be best serve by giving Jones 15 million when we don't even have that much cap room right now? Either way strange attack.

Because you didn’t think Jones was elite in 18 and 19.  He was. For sure

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Because you didn’t think Jones was elite in 18 and 19.  He was. For sure

Yeah, "was" is the key word.  You don't know what you're getting now at his advancing age.  Which makes trading for him, much less paying him what he wants, crazy.

41 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah, "was" is the key word.  You don't know what you're getting now at his advancing age.  Which makes trading for him, much less paying him what he wants, crazy.

Yeah we don’t.....that has nothing to do with my comment.  Thanks though.