Is Chandler Jones available on the NFL's black-market?

Cardinals could face Chandler Jones holdout with no contract extension (usatoday.com)

Chandler Jones, 31 (one year younger than Julio), has yet to show up at an offseason practice (like Julio), despite living year-round near the facility. This is a team leader who has done nothing but represent the team with class on and off the field, and someone who could be held up as an example to others. Yet he is a no-show. Oh, and he deleted every reference to the Cardinals from his social media, a telltale indicator if there ever was one. And he hasn't put anything back.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/why-julio-jones-may-not-be-only-blockbuster-jones-trade-on-nfl-horizon-cardinals-sack-star-deserves-more/

https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2021/05/26/chandler-jones-contract-extension-holdout-possibility/

Jones is a monster..  wonder if Jerry and a first would pry him loose from AZ

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JoneCh03.htm

• Like (+1) 2

We just drafted a 1st Round Defensive End and a 2nd Round Defensive End in conjunction with a 2nd Rounder spent on a Defensive End last year. Now you want to send a future 1st for ANOTHER Defensive End, who's also 31 years old? Hard pass. We're closed for business on Defensive End moves for 2021.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 8
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

We just drafted a 1st Round Defensive End and a 2nd Round Defensive End in conjunction with a 2nd Rounder spent on a Defensive End last year. Now you want to send a future 1st for ANOTHER Defensive End, who's also 31 years old? Hard pass.

because he's a proven decorated QB killer that the young ones can model their game after, this guy would be a huge addition. 

5 minutes ago, The_Ripster said:

because he's a proven decorated QB killer that the young ones can model their game after, this guy would be a huge addition. 

He's 31 and coming off a season ending torn bicep where he missed most of the year. Not worth a 1st Rounder at this point in his career and we'll need that 1st for other positions following the Josh and Tremaine deals. We've already allocated a 1st and 2 2nd's in the past two years. Spending another 1st on the same position is crazy talk at this point.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 DE picks in rounds 1 & 2. Plus! Chandler #81, Moderator... Chandler Jones... Hmm... Too many DE's & Chandlers associated with this Bills team. Sorry Jones, No Bills for you 😃

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, The_Ripster said:

Beane is drafting edge guys to free up money for Josh’s extension so I can’t see this happening ...

• Agree 4

3 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

He's 31 and coming off a season ending torn bicep where he missed most of the year. Not worth a 1st Rounder at this point in his career and we'll need that 1st for other positions following the Josh and Tremaine deals. We've already allocated a 1st and 2 2nd's in the past two years. Spending another 1st on the same position is crazy talk at this point.

Understandably thats a lot spent, yet, will any of those 3 be starting this season?
Epenesa maybe, and that's if they make some serious decisions about Hughes/Addison still unlikely tho.
Honestly, what else do you see the bills putting that first rounder towards next year?  another corner? the roster is practically complete at this point and I don't know about you but I don't see TE the pathway to a superbowl ring. Only thing holding a move like this back, in my mind is prioritizing extending Allen/Edmunds.

30 minutes ago, The_Ripster said:

Only thing holding a move like this back, in my mind is prioritizing extending Allen/Edmunds.

Yep - and since both will happen, we're going to lose players off this roster to make the cap work. Players that will have to be replaced in the coming Drafts. So we can't afford to give those assets away. Especially for a position that we've already heavily invested in.

And I'm not convinced that Chandler Jones, coming off a season ending injury in which it'll be close to a full calendar year since he last played, switching teams, and learning a new system is going to be that much of an upgrade over Jerry for this season anyways. And beyond that - how many more solid years does he have left in the tank at this point? 

• Like (+1) 1

There is nothing "Process" about the whole situation.  From the hold-out, to the deletions of Team stuff on his media, to "leaking" this stuff out, etc.

Plus, as posted above, McBeane are investing in high draft picks on the DL so they DONT have to break the bank at the position(s).  So pass, and its also not gonna happen.

I do like his play though.  Or am I remembering who he used to be, rather than who he is going to be in the future?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The_Ripster said:

Cardinals could face Chandler Jones holdout with no contract extension (usatoday.com)

Chandler Jones, 31 (one year younger than Julio), has yet to show up at an offseason practice (like Julio), despite living year-round near the facility. This is a team leader who has done nothing but represent the team with class on and off the field, and someone who could be held up as an example to others. Yet he is a no-show. Oh, and he deleted every reference to the Cardinals from his social media, a telltale indicator if there ever was one. And he hasn't put anything back.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/why-julio-jones-may-not-be-only-blockbuster-jones-trade-on-nfl-horizon-cardinals-sack-star-deserves-more/

https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2021/05/26/chandler-jones-contract-extension-holdout-possibility/

1 hour ago, The_Ripster said:

I would consider a 3rd rounder and maybe a second but hard pass if they want first

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, maddenboy said:

There is nothing "Process" about the whole situation.  From the hold-out, to the deletions of Team stuff on his media, to "leaking" this stuff out, etc.

Plus, as posted above, McBeane are investing in high draft picks on the DL so they DONT have to break the bank at the position(s).  So pass, and its also not gonna happen.

I do like his play though.  Or am I remembering who he used to be, rather than who he is going to be in the future?

Yeah ur right, I figured he's good for maybe 5 more seasons at best anyways. Those double digit sack numbers are really enticing.
Only one season removed too (kinda like Star).
I'm not sure how often a torn bicep equates to a career ending injury. I agree with a lot of points made so far tho, and I would still be willing to give Chandler an opportunity for a few seasons, but i'm not so sure it's worth giving up a 1st anymore. 

• Like (+1) 1

Wondering what the NFL's black market is... is that like when you trade for a guy illegally? Like Arizona doesn't realize we acquired him? But to answer the question, with how we drafted and how we are about to get a lot younger and cheaper at the edge position after this season, adding a higher priced, aging veteran is counterproductive. We can't pay Josh, Edmunds and others if we bring in players like this. When you think about how much we spent on the lines last season and how we drafted all this younger, cheaper talent I think the last thing we need is someone like Jones. You're thinking pre McBeane era Bills who might have brought in a name for the novelty and to sell tickets.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

So this is def worth discussion....but didnt we basically draft a younger version of him with our 1st round pick?

But you know how we love to start threads about acquiring expensive old guys who’s names we recognize.  It’s a theme we like to keep alive!   :)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

We just drafted a 1st Round Defensive End and a 2nd Round Defensive End in conjunction with a 2nd Rounder spent on a Defensive End last year. Now you want to send a future 1st for ANOTHER Defensive End, who's also 31 years old? Hard pass. We're closed for business on Defensive End moves for 2021.

I would tend to agree that given the cap situation it doesn’t seem likely but I would also say that I do imagine that if they were to make a move for a vet front line DE the Bills would likely toss Addison back in a trade to make room.

If it could fit cap wise somehow I would gladly trade a 1st in 2022 and Addison got Jones. This teams biggest weakness in my opinion is the lack of a prime time pass rusher. Jones would fit that bill instantly and even if he only has 2 or 3 more good years left it could be the last piece needed.

• Disagree 1