Pet Peeves (Part Tres)

BringBackFergy

18 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I had a “Pet Peeves” thread about 6 years ago, then JR in Pittsburgh had one a few years ago, but we need another (mostly because of @ExiledInIllinois)

**** Ok, these Sanitary Pads in the bottom of my grocery store steak packages piss me off. I want the damn blood in there. That’s flavor. So I unpackage the steak from the styrofoam pack and there’s a pad on the bottom drenched in blood. My appetite...gone. 

NOTE: Here comes Exiled talking about boaters, tie off lines and migratory birds who leave dung on his heated tower roof. 

Do what I do.  Squeeze out the pad into a shot glass. Add a bit of salt and fresh ground black pepper and voila!  Dead cow shooters!!  ❤️

• Haha (+1) 2

Whenever I swallow something that goes down the wrong way!  It's like the next 10 minutes are spent coughing and trying to catch my breathe 😁

Our elected government officials from both parties who care more about pandering/recognition/looking good than actually giving a damn about helping disenfranchised people and listening to different points of view.  

OK I've got one:

BIRDS!  All of you Damned Birds Get the ***** Off of My Lawn!

The last two years these damned little brown birds are decimating my sugar snap and snow pea plants.  Those Miniaturized Velociraptors never did before, so it's either a learned behavior one of them taught her kids or maybe the overgrown shrub in the corner of our yard is providing superior bird habitat. 

Or maybe our dog is no longer putting the "fear of Dog" into those plant-munching avian rapscallions (hold that thought).

My friend's husband is an ornithologist and keeps telling me "it's probably not the birds, it's probably bugs and the birds are just eating the bugs" which I now class right up there with "pull my finger".  We noticed that where I'd tied sun shade for my lettuce plants, the peas along the shade section that was low enough to prevent perching managed to grow like a foot overnight.  When I moved it, they got slaughtered.  So I bought a mess of bird netting on Amazon and put up an impromtu Bird Netting Row House.  Now I have healthy 4 ft tall pea plants loaded with blossoms and am getting a handful or two of peas, though I won't get much of a crop given it's June in St Louis already. 

QED Mr Ornithologist: the bird netting isn't keeping out the insects, so it's gotta be the birds.

Being baulked of their illicit Sativum snacks, what did those Feathered Freeloaders do?  Were they satisfied with the Dispenser of Sunflower Seeds aka Bird Feeder and the mosaic Bird Bath placed in our side yard and kept full and clean for their refreshment?  NOOOOOO!  They've started munching the tips and devouring the leaves of my pole beans, which they've never done before.  The pole beans this year are trellised on a cattle panel bent into an arch, so apparently the birds can more easily "perch and destroy" the tender green tips.

So, I equip myself with a chunk of netting and sally out to cover the top of the trellis and down to the part where most of the bean tips are currently staged, so at least they can't sit there and sabotage.  I'm occupied tying the netting down when I spy our canine companion out of the corner of my eye.  Is she coming to comfort me in my hour of gardening grief?  To persuade me to play by depositing a slimy and disgusting Firehose toy on my tootsies?  NO!  What is she doing?  She's biting the Bean plants she can reach at the corner of the bed!  Pulling off the leaves and eating them!  BAD DOG!  NO!  BAD!  GET OUT OF HERE!

The final betrayal: Man's Best Friend is For the Birds.

OK that's my peeve.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Whenever I swallow something that goes down the wrong way!  It's like the next 10 minutes are spent coughing and trying to catch my breathe 😁

Our elected government officials from both parties who care more about pandering/recognition/looking good than actually giving a damn about helping disenfranchised people and listening to different points of view.  

"Chew your food, you're an animal."

'Toons

20210605_123608_1.thumb.jpg.a64c1827ed188209a43cda73ecce896d.jpg

In the "grand scheme of things" the pleasure craft that peeve me the most:

#1: Sailboats... What is it with their personality? Always the victim, bicycles on water.  They can't stay put, motor in circles and feign they can't control the damn thing.

#2: 'Toons, pontoon boats... What's up with these.  Like a floating Honda Fit with a big deck for the masses. They're just funny looking.

#3: Bassboats, no common sense.  Finding fish at all cost and getting in the way is their sole purpose in life.  Like taking a car and parking it in the middle of I-94 during rush hour "because that's where the fish are!" SEE: #1, Sailboats without fishing rods.

8 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I hate it when posters respond with movie clips thinking they're funny 😉

Good 👉 point!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK I've got one:

The last two years these damned little brown birds are decimating my sugar snap and snow pea plants.  Those Miniaturized Velociraptors never did before, so it's either a learned behavior one of them taught her kids or maybe the overgrown shrub in the corner of our yard is providing superior bird habitat. 

Or maybe our dog is no longer putting the "fear of Dog" into those plant-munching avian rapscallions (hold that thought).

My friend's husband is an ornithologist and keeps telling me "it's probably not the birds, it's probably bugs and the birds are just eating the bugs" which I now class right up there with "pull my finger".  We noticed that where I'd tied sun shade for my lettuce plants, the peas along the shade section that was low enough to prevent perching managed to grow like a foot overnight.  When I moved it, they got slaughtered.  So I bought a mess of bird netting on Amazon and put up an impromtu Bird Netting Row House.  Now I have healthy 4 ft tall pea plants loaded with blossoms and am getting a handful or two of peas, though I won't get much of a crop given it's June in St Louis already. 

QED Mr Ornithologist: the bird netting isn't keeping out the insects, so it's gotta be the birds.

Being baulked of their illicit Sativum snacks, what did those Feathered Freeloaders do?  Were they satisfied with the Dispenser of Sunflower Seeds aka Bird Feeder and the mosaic Bird Bath placed in our side yard and kept full and clean for their refreshment?  NOOOOOO!  They've started munching the tips and devouring the leaves of my pole beans, which they've never done before.  The pole beans this year are trellised on a cattle panel bent into an arch, so apparently the birds can more easily "perch and destroy" the tender green tips.

So, I equip myself with a chunk of netting and sally out to cover the top of the trellis and down to the part where most of the bean tips are currently staged, so at least they can't sit there and sabotage.  I'm occupied tying the netting down when I spy our canine companion out of the corner of my eye.  Is she coming to comfort me in my hour of gardening grief?  To persuade me to play by depositing a slimy and disgusting Firehose toy on my tootsies?  NO!  What is she doing?  She's biting the Bean plants she can reach at the corner of the bed!  Pulling off the leaves and eating them!  BAD DOG!  NO!  BAD!  GET OUT OF HERE!

OK that's my peeve.

Put down some grub killer in the yard, that will get rid of the birds (one way or the other)

• Vomit 1
  • Shocked 1

I just thought of a great pet peeve that seems to be a millennial parenting thing.  

I get called by my first name by little kids all the time. The parent says, “can you ask Mr. Pat” where the bathroom is? Drives me nuts. Show some respect. When I was a kid, you called grown ups by their last names. I still call my childhood friends parents’ by their last names, and order my kids to do the same. 

don’t call me “Mr. Pat.” It’s Mr. Morita to you, sonny. 

• Haha (+1) 1

These ***** ing commercials they're playing during Jack's Memorial Tournament. The first one on every break is a Nationwide ad with snapping fingers. It's worse than fingernails on a chalkboard 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I just thought of a great pet peeve that seems to be a millennial parenting thing.  

I get called by my first name by little kids all the time. The parent says, “can you ask Mr. Pat” where the bathroom is? Drives me nuts. Show some respect. When I was a kid, you called grown ups by their last names. I still call my childhood friends parents’ by their last names, and order my kids to do the same. 

don’t call me “Mr. Pat.” It’s Mr. Morita to you, sonny. 

I don't know.  That kinda started in the 1970s with Gen Xers, their parents.   I give the Millennials a pass here.

But, yeah... It's creepy.

10 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

As Ferguson so eloquently stated in the OP... This is what peeves me...

Fishermen, the bain of Lock Operators everywhere.   Please people, if you're ever in a lock,  please don't dog that line off!  It makes for a bad Friday afternoon.

20210605_060717.thumb.jpg.8e4d96924125b737c514bb604ac2c95e.jpg

The ever pursuit of fish and all things lurking below and/or swimming isn't rocket surgery.  Don't make it anymore complicated that you have to or you'll be the one swimming. 

Thanx, this has been a PSA from your "TBD Safety Office."

THIS was inevitable, I suppose.  :)

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK I've got one:

OK that's my peeve.

I bet you feel MUCH better after getting THIS off your chest! Our puppy eats my flowers. New sod next week, I’ll try planting again.

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

Pet Peeve: I go to the beverage store, buy a 12 pack of IPA or some other beer and never check the packaging.  I pay for it, get home and there’s only 11 in the pack! Pisses me off. Happens frequently. 

Sometimes I get thirsty when I shop. Sorry, but thank you! 

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Augie said:

Maybe I should have just deleted the whole thing, but I kept going. I haven’t dealt with the horrors of a dog in heat in decades, and my post disgusted even myself in that context.

That, and the recent should we trade for the best and most expensive old guys made me feel like I had to stick to it on pet peeves. That drives me crazy, and I’m sticking to it! You can be as “plussed or non-plussed” as you like. I felt it was for the greater good, and I got it off my chest. 

WTF with all the friggin math around here?  Can't we have one thread for the common man without algebra ferchrissakes?

16 hours ago, The Jerk said:

When people pronounce Mario as "Mary-O"

Now you ***** did it!

Expecially always pisses me off., expecially when it's some sonofabitch talking head.  There's no ***** X in the word.

Edited by Beerball

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.