Cam Newton injures hand

In practice today it appears he hit a helmet .. there was enough concern that the checked for a break .. there are none, but they are monitoring. Probably no impact 3 months out other than reducing his time working with his teammates. Given he had little time with them last year I am certain they wanted to take advantage of the return of OTAs and mini-camp.

now for the real question.. if his hand was broken would that really change anything .. they were Buffalo Bill hell years bad at passing last year.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/06/04/report-cam-newtons-hand-is-not-broken-but-he-is-undergoing-more-tests/

Edited by CorkScrewHill

or, what if BB said:

"hey Cam, do the team a favor.  Pretend to get a flesh wound early in practice.  We wanna see how Mac does if he has to come in cold and work with the Ones."  wouldnt surprise me.   Also to see how Cam will take to seeing Mac at the helm, after Cam is pulled in  mid game, or mid drive.

But then, I admit I subscribe to the 'evil genius' narrative. 

Edited by maddenboy
  • Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, CorkScrewHill said:

In practice today it appears he hit a helmet .. there was enough concern that the checked for a break .. there are none, but they are monitoring. Probably no impact 3 months out other than reducing his time working with his teammates. Given he had little time with them last year I am certain they wanted to take advantage of the return of OTAs and mini-camp.

now for the real question.. if his hand was broken would that really change anything .. they were Buffalo Bill hell years bad at passing last year.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/06/04/report-cam-newtons-hand-is-not-broken-but-he-is-undergoing-more-tests/

Nothing directly related to Cam here, but while at Casey Middle school in WNY I had a gym teacher who had been a punter for the Chargers. He wanted to show off in front of the class, and sent me back to field a punt. I had obviously never seen a punt like that, but backed up fast enough to semi-successfully field the punt. I caught it just fine, and the class was awed by the ginormous punt. The “semi” part was because it was one of those cheap, plastic Voit balls, and the point of the ball caught me on the bone at the base of my right thumb.

Remember those balls? Harder than a cinder block and I got a bone bruise that lasted almost a year! I’m not saying that will happen to Cam, just reliving a childhood nightmare!  I’d imagine hitting your throwing hand on a helmet could yield a similar result, to some degree. I’m surprised it doesn’t happen more often. 

A bone bruise on any part of your body is a VERY nasty thing! A doctor who worked with my sons said on a scale of 1-10, it gets murky in the middle between a bruise and a break. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If the Patriots* are really intent on developing Mac Jones as the potential franchise QB, then Cam is not the right vet QB to mentor him.

IMO, when they brought back Hoyer, the writing was on the wall for Cam's departure-- wounded hand, knee, shoulder, ego, or whatever notwithstanding.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Augie said:

Nothing directly related to Cam here, but while at Casey Middle school in WNY I had a gym teacher who had been a punter for the Chargers. He wanted to show off in front of the class, and sent me back to field a punt. I had obviously never seen a punt like that, but backed up fast enough to semi-successfully field the punt. I caught it just fine, and the class was awed by the ginormous punt. The “semi” part was because it was one of those cheap, plastic Voit balls, and the point of the ball caught me on the bone at the base of my right thumb.

Remember those balls? Harder than a cinder block and I got a bone bruise that lasted almost a year! I’m not saying that will happen to Cam, just reliving a childhood nightmare!  I’d imagine hitting your throwing hand on a helmet could yield a similar result, to some degree. I’m surprised it doesn’t happen more often. 

🐈

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

It just means if Cam can't go, Jones will come in and torch the Bills defense

Torch the Bills defense???? Lol kid hasn’t even played a snap yet. I’ll say it again both Jet and Pats reached on their QBS.

10 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Phil Simms once missed the final 10 games of the 1983 season when he messed up his hand by hitting an opponent's helmet.  

You gotta wonder if Cam is even going to make the team this year? It wouldn’t surprise me if he gets released, I for sure wouldn’t have given him another 1 year deal to stick around, after his performance last year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I’m an alumnus.  Which teacher was it?  I remember Enders and Moynihan?  Neither seemed like pro players 🤣