Doug Whaley puts full onus of EJ Manuel pick on Buddy Nix; believes he should have been a 3rd/4th round pick

The only reason why I do not see EJ as nearly as bad of a bust as many other bad picks is because there were no other quarterbacks that year whatsoever that would have fared any better.    The bigger fault of the franchise was ignoring the need for add any significant quarterback and counting on Fitz to not only be a franchise QB but to never get injured.

Had Buffalo signed a veteran, drafted Wilson or even someone like a Dalton during the previous three years, the need to pick a quarterback that year would never have arose.

Edited by dgrochester55

On 6/4/2021 at 3:26 PM, Buffalo716 said:

Doug Whaley never had a problem seeing talent 

He has an accountability problem. I believe what he's saying

But he never took any responsibility for his own actions while he was our GM. He always passed the blame 

But he could scout

Could he...?  In his time with the team as GM they drafted 0 pro-bowlers.  When he was AGM, they drafted 3 - Spiller, Dareus, and Gilmore.  Spiller was pretty likely a Nix pick.  Why praise someone for dareus when the options otherwise were peterson, julio jones, and AJ green - it was a consensus top 5 player.  Congrats for not getting gabbert i guess?  

And for all his complaining about not being able to get a QB (Purgatory comment) - in 2016 he traded picks that cost them a shot at prescott.  In 2012 every single pick ahead of miami at 8 was traded, so either they didn't want tannehill or felt good about fitz.  And they used a pick on TJ Graham instead of Wilson.  Then walked into 2013 with no QB.  It's alllll nix, nothing to do with ol' dougie. 

I kind of hate doug whaley, he is the type of guy to tell you only about his good achievements (and take credit for other peoples work) and completely avoid all the stupid terrible trades and picks he made.  

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, K-9 said:

Building a team is not a linear process. Especially for teams bereft of talent across the board. You don’t pass on a blue chip OT or DE in favor of a much lower graded QB. And vice versa.

That said, and contrary to Whaley’s revisionist history, EJ had been rising up most draft boards over the several months leading up to that draft and was projected as a late first, early second by the time draft day arrived. Similar to Josh Freeman’s arc several years earlier.  And while we took him a lot higher at pick 16, there is something to be said for targeting you guy and getting him, regardless.

And EJ was INDEED Whaley’s guy.

EJ was schizo when it came to his mechanics. Very compact and efficient above the waist and a total train wreck below. Just horrible footwork and hips. 

He's also did some weird thing where he kind of "aimed" the ball. I don't really know how to articulate what I'm trying to describe properly. Like you said, it may be something to do with his footwork.

I remember when EJ Manuel copyrighted his likeness or whatever in case he became a big star. 😂

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

He's also did some weird thing where he kind of "aimed" the ball. I don't really know how to articulate what I'm trying to describe properly.

He threw the football like he was throwing a dart in a bar.  How's that?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, K-9 said:

And EJ was INDEED Whaley’s guy.

EJ was schizo when it came to his mechanics. Very compact and efficient above the waist and a total train wreck below. Just horrible footwork and hips. 

You didn't like that stutter step, stutter step, hitch and then release the ball to watch it float 8 yards out of bounds?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

What I gathered from the Fred Jackson roast, former Bills have zero respect for Doug Whaley. 

Because he holds 0 accountability.  Nothing is his fault.  What did he do?  He found Jerry Hughes....  He gave Fred Jackson a shot.

8 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He threw the football like he was throwing a dart in a bar.  How's that?

Also, he was a running QB in college. On the Bills he looked like he was running in quicksand. I never could understand that and wrote it off as another Bills hex of sorts.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Also, he was a running QB in college. On the Bills he looked like he was running in quicksand. I never could understand that and wrote it off as another Bills hex of sorts.

He looked so awkward moving around, nothing close to being mobile as his fanboys preached.

Then again, we were told Mike Williams had a nasty mean streak and he loved to just plant D-linemen into the turf.:doh:

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Rico said:

He looked so awkward moving around, nothing close to being mobile as his fanboys preached.

Then again, we were told Mike Williams had a nasty mean streak and he loved to just plant D-linemen into the turf.:doh:

I read an article by a former Buffalo Bills offensive lineman. I think it was Ross Tucker. According to the article, all the Bills' offensive linemen were subjected to the same training. All offensive linemen, that is, except one: Mike Williams. According to the article, Williams was allowed to get out of doing a lot of the stuff the rest of the linemen had to do.

While the primary onus of Williams being a bust is on Williams himself, I think he would probably have accomplished more in the NFL if he'd had the benefit of a coaching staff which created accountability.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Rico said:

Williams showed that mean streak at Texas, but not consistently. Still, he was a consensus All American and slated to go high in the draft. But when he showed up at the combine at nearly 380 lbs., Donahue should have crossed him off the board. That was all the red flag anyone needed to see. 

• Like (+1) 2