Doug Whaley puts full onus of EJ Manuel pick on Buddy Nix; believes he should have been a 3rd/4th round pick

1 hour ago, eball said:

He had no concept of team-building, either.  Just looked to acquire talent.  He basically did one thing well when the job requires so much more.  I think Whaley is a great example of the Peter Principle.

I think he could be a director of pro personnel and that’s his ceiling 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, wppete said:

I’d say the EJ Manuel was perhaps the worse draft pick the Bills have ever made in the first round. I was initially hopeful but EJ proved to be awful on the field, seemed like a great guy off the field though. 

Maybin, McCargo and a slew of others are in contention.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, wppete said:

I’d say the EJ Manuel was perhaps the worse draft pick the Bills have ever made in the first round. I was initially hopeful but EJ proved to be awful on the field, seemed like a great guy off the field though. 

Which round was Perry Tuttle drafted?

• Haha (+1) 1

Whaley is relying on people to have bad memories. At the time these events transpired, it was very clear he was all-in in EJ, and was convinced he was the answer at quarterback. You don't use two years worth of first round picks on a single wide receiver if you think your starting quarterback shouldn't have been drafted before the 3rd or 4th round.

For him to now say that EJ should have been a 3rd or 4th round pick is an attempt to re-write history. It's absolutely true Manuel should not have been taken before the 4th round. No arguing with that. But "3rd to 4th round pick" isn't the scouting report Whaley provided. Nor was "3rd to 4th round pick" Whaley's evaluation of Manuel after he'd become GM.

From the perspective of Whaley, it doesn't matter if I or others in this thread see through his act. We're just fans, and we don't get a vote. What does matter is whether he can con some trusting and ill-informed GM or owner into accepting his rewritten version of history. Thus far that hasn't happened for him, but maybe he thinks it's his best shot at reviving his career.

Edited by Arm of Harm

On 6/4/2021 at 3:48 PM, GunnerBill said:

Agree totally. He couldn't lead, he could scout. 

This was Doug's words on Aug 2 2013

The Buffalo Bills surprsied everyone when they drafted Florida State quarterback E.J. Manuel in the top 10 of the first round instead of West Virginia quarterback E.J. Manuel. Buffalo Bills general manager Doug Whaley isn’t backing down from that decision and is singing the praises of the rookie quarterback before he’s ever played an NFL game, or been named starter of the Buffalo Bills.

“Most successful quarterbacks have that ‘it’ factor. (Manuel) has that ‘it’ factor,” Whaley said on SiriusXM NFL Radio’s “Moving the Chains.” “When he walks into a room, there’s a presence and people take notice. He’s going to be the face of our franchise, and it’s not too big for him.”

The Buffalo Bills surprsied everyone when they drafted Florida State quarterback E.J. Manuel in the top 10 of the first round instead of West Virginia quarterback E.J. Manuel. Buffalo Bills general manager Doug Whaley isn’t backing down from that decision and is singing the praises of the rookie quarterback before he’s ever played an NFL game, or been named starter of the Buffalo Bills.

“Most successful quarterbacks have that ‘it’ factor. (Manuel) has that ‘it’ factor,” Whaley said on SiriusXM NFL Radio’s “Moving the Chains.” “When he walks into a room, there’s a presence and people take notice. He’s going to be the face of our franchise, and it’s not too big for him.”

• Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Did he say it 3 times?

• Haha (+1) 4

33 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

What else was he going to go out and say publicly?  "I hated the pick, it was all Buddy"?

Well, I do put the blame primarily on Nix for the EJ Manuel pick, exactly for the reason that Whaley cites. But if Whaley thinks he is blameless, he is wrong.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

What else was he going to go out and say publicly?  "I hated the pick, it was all Buddy"?

Nothing against Doug,  I thought he was an aggressive GM and made some decent picks.  End of the day not having a QB will never end well for any HC or GM

1 hour ago, Niagara Dude said:

Nothing against Doug,  I thought he was an aggressive GM and made some decent picks.  End of the day not having a QB will never end well for any HC or GM

I agree. But he had to tow the company line when discussing Bills draft picks.

5 hours ago, Doc said:

“EJ, we have high hopes for him.  We know, and he knows, there is a lot of work ahead for him to become the franchise player we all want him to be.  He’s harder on himself than anyone and he wants to be great.  It’s our job to help surround him with the resources and patience to help him become great.  At the same time, and EJ will be the first to tell you this, we’re in a results business and no one on this roster or in this entire organization - myself included - should feel complacent with where they are.  We all have to work harder to become the best versions of ourselves and EJ is no exception.  I believe he’s putting in the work to do just that and I’m excited to watch his career develop here.  His best football is in front of him.”

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

“EJ, we have high hopes for him.  We know, and he knows, there is a lot of work ahead for him to become the franchise player we all want him to be.  He’s harder on himself than anyone and he wants to be great.  It’s our job to help surround him with the resources and patience to help him become great.  At the same time, and EJ will be the first to tell you this, we’re in a results business and no one on this roster or in this entire organization - myself included - should feel complacent with where they are.  We all have to work harder to become the best versions of ourselves and EJ is no exception.  I believe he’s putting in the work to do just that and I’m excited to watch his career develop here.  His best football is in front of him.”

Boring and doesn't move the needle.

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Meh.........Whaley had Beane-like support on TSW for most of his tenure.   

Not from me.

When the Bills chose Manuel, I immediately felt as bad as I did after Music City Miracle. At least in my opinion, Manuel fit the prototype of a first round bust: great physical tools, but did not prove himself an accurate passer or a fast information processor at the college level. You could say the same thing about Losman. And I did.

To continue, when Manuel was selected I felt the next several years of my Bills fanhood go down the drain. I believed that the Bills would not win the Super Bowl until both Manuel and those responsible for choosing Manuel had been replaced. The more I learned of Whaley's role in convincing Nix to draft Manuel, the more I learned how convinced that Whaley (after becoming GM) was that Manuel was the answer, the more convinced I became that Whaley was not the answer.

That was the likely the worst QB draft in a long time. We knew we were gonna draft a QB and none of the were decent, though we got the best of the bunch. Acting like there was a chance at a good QB at that time is stupid, no free agents, no drafted players, no good QBs available by normal means. Whaley's biggest issue was he did not build teams around the wants and abilities of his coaches.

On 6/4/2021 at 3:51 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Eventually guys like that make their way back into a FO in some capacity (see Chris Polian). I don’t get the sense that he will and it’s probably because of stuff like this 

Is Doug Whaley's dad an NFL Executive to hire his son?  Because that's about the only way Dugout Doug's coming back now.  Blaming a now 81 year old for a draft pick when it was clear Nix was being moved out guarantees he'll be persona non grata in NFL circles. 

23 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

People reflect on his trade up for Sammy Watkins like that was his MO..........that was about the only time he showed any courage/conviction.........spineless is a good description of his tenure.

In 2014, I always figured the trade up for Watkins was Doug playing with house money with Brandon's urging.  RW had died, the franchise was going to be sold, and Brandon and Whaley weren't sure they'd have jobs.  So, they made the bold move to trade future draft picks they may never get to use for Watkins in what was probably at a minimum a need to win year with new ownership coming aboard.  Everything was about what was best for them and maybe for the team.  

Then again, If it wasn't for EJ, his most infamous NFL moment would have been forwarding emails throughout the NFL, including the commissioner.  Not the brightest bulb in the box.  

• Like (+1) 2