Doug Whaley puts full onus of EJ Manuel pick on Buddy Nix; believes he should have been a 3rd/4th round pick

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I mean that was literally a pre-recorded speech he gave to the Backers IIRC.  If he now says he was lying, it’s called consumer fraud.  Dude should just never speak to the media because he’s a moron with that stuff.

The Pegulas figured that out & after a disaster of an end of season press conference after the 2016 season put a gag order on him & wouldn't let him speak to the media until after they fired him.  Remember, on the day of the 2017 draft McDermott spoke to the media & Whaley never said a word.  

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

This reminds me of a story from years ago.  One time I was down in Nassau County visiting my parents & my father confused the 2 actors from Car 54 & was sure Fred Gwynne was dead when he was still alive.  Back then Gwynne used to be the voice on commercials & whenever I was at their house & a commercial with his voice came on I'd say "still alive".  I used to go down to visit about 4 times a year & on one visit on the drive down I heard on the news that Fred Gwynne had died that day.  When I got to their house I told my father that he could now say Fred Gwynne is dead.  

So when Buddy Nix dies, come back & bump this thread & tell everyone that everyone can now agree with you that Buddy is dead.

On a side note, when my father died we were going through his stuff & he had written out lists of dead people.  On the list (this was in 2008) was Lou Holtz.  When I found it I joked with my sister that my father was up there looking for Lou Holtz & he wasn't going to find him.  13 years later Lou Holtz is still alive.  

Buddy is going to live to be 100 just to spite you. 

Spite? Harv, I hope that he lives to be 200. :) 

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, MrSarcasm said:

Because that is the case 90% of the time. No team 'trips over themselves' to draft a QB. 

Chiefs gave up a 1st-not exactly giving up tons as did the Texans and wasn't Russell Wilson a 3rd round pick.

Their are more Ponders-Winstons-Vince Youngs-Trubiskys-Manuels then Mahomes- Watson.

I'd wager that most good starting QBs were not traded for and instead fell to the teams.

QB draft choices are always iffy.  In the top 10 it's about 50/50.  Once you go past the top 10 the odds of finding the answer at QB drop.  I did a study of QB draft choices for a 20 year period from 2000 to 2019 and found the following. In order to be considered a success a QB had to become a long term starter or have a long backup career like the two 7th rounders, both former Bills , Fitzpatrick & Cassell. The success rate results:

Top 10 53%
Rest of 1st round: 36%
2nd round: 24%
3rd round: 17%
4th round: 10%
5th round 0% (over 30 busts)
6th round: 10%
7th round 5%

• Awesome! (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, hmsmystic said:

Not sure I'm a fan of a Whaley going on record throwing Nix under the bus- leadership needs to take ownership of mistakes.  That said, he probably isn't making this up- at the time EJ wasn't regarded as a sure fire 1st round pick as I recall.

I'll never forget some of those 1st practices I got to attend at SJF college EJs rookie year.  EJ strolls out, Tom Selleck mustache and some swagger and I'm thinking- well-- maybe we got something here!  Then he proceeds to throw every other pass into the stands and we all knew then we were in trouble-- again.

Articles like this make me thankful even more for McBeane!

The evidence indicates Whaley did believe strongly in EJ. At the time, the stuff Whaley was saying to Bills Backers and others indicated Whaley was sold on EJ. If you want to disregard those words, fine. But then there are also Whaley's actions. He went all in at WR, investing two years' worth of first round picks into Sammy Watkins. That's the type of move you make when you're convinced you've found your quarterback.

So yes, Buddy Nix was ultimately the guy who pulled the trigger on the Manuel pick, just as he pulled the trigger on all other Bills moves up until his retirement. But Whaley provided the scouting reports upon which Nix based his decision. All the evidence indicates those scouting reports were absolutely glowing, and that Whaley was very high on EJ after taking over the GM position.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Whaley's actions demonstrate he was in love with EJ.... having said that, I think his biggest frailty was that he did not lead his team by example. I don't know who picked his coaches, but I don't think they did much better.... Aside from QB, we had a lot of talent at times though.... He'd probably be a pretty good scout.

25 minutes ago, 17islongenough said:

They were screwed no matter who they took that draft.   That has to be the worst class in a long time.   But if they didn't pick a qb they would have looked bad too

Nix/Whaley should of traded back again into the 2nd round and drafted Zack Ertz.

"Am I doing this right"?

2 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

I think they probably got the best of a really bad bunch tbh

Here are the guys in competition for being the best of that 2013 QB class:

• Mike Glennon
  • Matt Barkley
  • EJ Manuel
  • Landry Jones
  • Geno Smith

Of those, Glennon, Smith, and Barkley are still active and in the league. Let's look at some career stats:

Glennon: 6.4 YPA, QB rating 83.5

Barkley: 7.4 YPA, QB rating 66.6

Manuel: 6.4 YPA, QB rating 77.1

Jones: 7.8 YPA, QB rating 86.2

Smith: 6.8 YPA, QB rating 72.9

Of those, Landry Jones clearly has the best numbers. But, he's no longer in the league, which would seem to indicate he's not necessarily the most highly thought-of QB on the list. The guy with the second best numbers is Glennon, and he's still in the league. An argument could be made that he's the best of that QB class.

3 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I’m sure he wants another crack at an NFL gig, but throwing your former boss under the bus even if true isn’t the way to do it.  

Every time he does it, he usually has enough Stickum on his hands that he gets pulled in as well. 😁

1 hour ago, 17islongenough said:

They were screwed no matter who they took that draft.   That has to be the worst class in a long time.   But if they didn't pick a qb they would have looked bad too

Not if they had stuck with Fitzpatrick another year or 5 instead of releasing him after Buddy stuck his foot in his mouth during the fake phone call.  However, the 2014 QB draft wasn't much better with Carr, Garoppolo & Bridgewater as the only QBs who didn't bust.  The 2015 QB draft was bad too, with Winston & Mariotta going 1-2 and a bunch of no names after them (Siemien was the best of the rest, chosen in the 7th round).  The 2016 draft was a little better, but the Bills drafted C. Jones 4 picks after Dallas picked Prescott.  

So, in hindsight, getting rid of Fitzpatrick was a pretty dumb move.  

13 minutes ago, Arm of Harm said:

Here are the guys in competition for being the best of that 2013 QB class:

• Mike Glennon
  • Matt Barkley
  • EJ Manuel
  • Landry Jones
  • Geno Smith

Of those, Glennon, Smith, and Barkley are still active and in the league. Let's look at some career stats:

Glennon: 6.4 YPA, QB rating 83.5

Barkley: 7.4 YPA, QB rating 66.6

Manuel: 6.4 YPA, QB rating 77.1

Jones: 7.8 YPA, QB rating 86.2

Smith: 6.8 YPA, QB rating 72.9

Of those, Landry Jones clearly has the best numbers. But, he's no longer in the league, which would seem to indicate he's not necessarily the most highly thought-of QB on the list. The guy with the second best numbers is Glennon, and he's still in the league. An argument could be made that he's the best of that QB class.

Matt Barkley will be back! 

Edited by Albany,n.y.

It was lousy timing to need a QB.  I don’t blame Whaley or Nix really.  At least they traded down a bit.

They should have been patient and waited until the 2nd round.  Not a big deal if they lost him.  But in the end I get why they picked him.