Doug Whaley puts full onus of EJ Manuel pick on Buddy Nix; believes he should have been a 3rd/4th round pick

21 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Doug Whaley never had a problem seeing talent 

He has an accountability problem. I believe what he's saying

But he never took any responsibility for his own actions while he was our GM. He always passed the blame 

But he could scout

Agree totally. He couldn't lead, he could scout. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree totally. He couldn't lead, he could scout. 

Eventually guys like that make their way back into a FO in some capacity (see Chris Polian). I don’t get the sense that he will and it’s probably because of stuff like this 

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

>>>>>If we would have drafted him in the third round – which that’s probably where he should have gone, maybe third or fourth round – he may have still been in the league today as a backup. But don’t back yourself in a corner or of overdraft because of need.”<<<<<

How was Whaley backed into a corner if HE didn't draft him?

Sure, blame it on a dead guy. The fact is that he was an inadequate GM, and I'm being kind. Whaley had less discipline than a kid in a candy store. He couldn't trade away draft picks fast enough and hurt the team by doing so. Ultimately, he was just about as bad as Levy, and I'm talking Rich Kotite level horrible.

The posters on @Virgil's mock were/are better GMs than than Doug Whaley. 

What dead guy? Buddy Nix is still alive. Remember when the crank callers pretended to be the Tampa GM and recorded him saying "the Bills needed to draft a QB since they made a mistake extending Fitz" (or something to that effect). Lol

29 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Doug Whaley never had a problem seeing talent 

He has an accountability problem. I believe what he's saying

But he never took any responsibility for his own actions while he was our GM. He always passed the blame 

But he could scout

Whaley clearly had an eye for talent.  But something was missing as a General Manager.

It was hard to put a finger on exactly what that was, until Brandon Beane/Sean McDermott took over.

For an organization to be successful, the front office must have a seamless relationship with the coaching staff.  

You can't just throw "good football players" onto a roster.  You must consider the scheme, the personality fit with teammates, etc.

It's not a coincidence that Whaley clashed with both Doug Marrone and Rex Ryan, or that he's throwing his former co-workers under the bus now.

I think he deserves a job in the NFL as a pro-scouting director.  But a team would be foolish to give him another GM position.

12 minutes ago, jlgarsh said:

What dead guy? Buddy Nix is still alive. Remember when the crank callers pretended to be the Tampa GM and recorded him saying "the Bills needed to draft a QB since they made a mistake extending Fitz" (or something to that effect). Lol

OK but I was close.

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I think I disagree with his entire premise.  At least when it comes to quarterbacks.

With the backdrop of EJ Manuel, his whole entire point makes sense and looks intelligent.  What if youre the Bears trading up to 'overdraft' Mahomes or Watson?  Or if someone tripped over themselves to 'overdraft' Russell Wilson in the first round?

Because that is the case 90% of the time. No team 'trips over themselves' to draft a QB. 

Chiefs gave up a 1st-not exactly giving up tons as did the Texans and wasn't Russell Wilson a 3rd round pick.

Their are more Ponders-Winstons-Vince Youngs-Trubiskys-Manuels then Mahomes- Watson.

I'd wager that most good starting QBs were not traded for and instead fell to the teams.

Edited by MrSarcasm

Not sure I'm a fan of a Whaley going on record throwing Nix under the bus- leadership needs to take ownership of mistakes.  That said, he probably isn't making this up- at the time EJ wasn't regarded as a sure fire 1st round pick as I recall.

I'll never forget some of those 1st practices I got to attend at SJF college EJs rookie year.  EJ strolls out, Tom Selleck mustache and some swagger and I'm thinking- well-- maybe we got something here!  Then he proceeds to throw every other pass into the stands and we all knew then we were in trouble-- again.

Articles like this make me thankful even more for McBeane!

Edited by hmsmystic
  • Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Doug Whaley is full of crap. That wasn’t Buddy Nix making all those trips down to Tallahassee to interview everyone and their mother about EJ’s character, work ethic, personality, etc., in the months leading up to that draft. That wasn’t Buddy Nix gushing about EJ’s “it” factor and the “presence people feel when he walks into a room.” 

Does Doug have anything to say about the hindsight mistake it was to make that deal for Watkins in 2014? Pretty sure that  wasn’t Buddy, either. 

It would appear he forgot to ask if he could play quarterback.  Sometimes you have to ask just one more question..... 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

OK but I was close.

This reminds me of a story from years ago.  One time I was down in Nassau County visiting my parents & my father confused the 2 actors from Car 54 & was sure Fred Gwynne was dead when he was still alive.  Back then Gwynne used to be the voice on commercials & whenever I was at their house & a commercial with his voice came on I'd say "still alive".  I used to go down to visit about 4 times a year & on one visit on the drive down I heard on the news that Fred Gwynne had died that day.  When I got to their house I told my father that he could now say Fred Gwynne is dead.  

So when Buddy Nix dies, come back & bump this thread & tell everyone that everyone can now agree with you that Buddy is dead.

On a side note, when my father died we were going through his stuff & he had written out lists of dead people.  On the list (this was in 2008) was Lou Holtz.  When I found it I joked with my sister that my father was up there looking for Lou Holtz & he wasn't going to find him.  13 years later Lou Holtz is still alive.  

Buddy is going to live to be 100 just to spite you. 

55 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Eventually guys like that make their way back into a FO in some capacity (see Chris Polian). I don’t get the sense that he will and it’s probably because of stuff like this 

He was likely making good money after being fired. Probably up until 2020. He got a 3 year extension before being fired. He can definitely get a job somewhere. We'll likely see him and Monos pop up somewhere. Both guys were highly thought of before Buffalo. 

Think about all the Bills and Sabres coaches and GMs the Pegulas have been paying to sit on a couch the last 3 years. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

I read an article about Doug Whaley. According to it, Whaley selectively took credit for things at the end of Nix's tenure which worked out well, such as the trade for Hughes. But he assigned blame to Nix for the things at the end of Nix's tenure which had worked out poorly.

I see Whaley as a guy who's better at evaluating free agent signings than he is at drafting, which means the right fit for him would be as a pro personnel director or something. But his lack of honesty, combined with his evident willingness to bite the hand that fed him (Nix gave him his big opportunity), probably means most NFL GMs wouldn't want this guy in the building.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1