Doug Whaley puts full onus of EJ Manuel pick on Buddy Nix; believes he should have been a 3rd/4th round pick

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/former-bills-gm-doug-whaley-puts-full-onus-for-ej-manuel-pick-on-buddy-nix/article_ad90009e-c548-11eb-97b4-4bb8882a4586.amp.html?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_&__twitter_impression=true

At the time, I was Assistant GM, and the GM there was Buddy Nix, and he had talked to me before about, ‘hey, before I get out of here, I’m going to make sure that we have a quarterback’ ...  And unbeknownst to me after the draft, he was going to retire. So I gave you the backdrop of that to say this: don’t ever back yourself into a corner by saying, ‘I want to get a specific position,’ because then you overdraft, which leads to some mistakes. So, EJ Manuel, that was (Nix’s) favorite quarterback out of that draft. He wanted to get him and he didn’t want to lose him. Now I know why. So he got him in the first round. He removed all doubt. If we would have drafted him in the third round – which that’s probably where he should have gone, maybe third or fourth round – he may have still been in the league today as a backup. But don’t back yourself in a corner or of overdraft because of need.” 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

• YoloinOhio changed the title to Doug Whaley puts full onus of EJ Manuel pick on Buddy Nix; believes he should have been a 3rd/4th round pick

I think I disagree with his entire premise.  At least when it comes to quarterbacks.

With the backdrop of EJ Manuel, his whole entire point makes sense and looks intelligent.  What if youre the Bears trading up to 'overdraft' Mahomes or Watson?  Or if someone tripped over themselves to 'overdraft' Russell Wilson in the first round?

Maybe if anyone in that front office was qualified to evaluate quarterbacks or build a respectable team?  That was the problem?  We have clowns like Nix and Whaley in those positions.  Now whaley is the assistant VP of talent evaluation for the Hula Bowl invitational

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Doug Whaley never had a problem seeing talent 

He has an accountability problem. I believe what he's saying

But he never took any responsibility for his own actions while he was our GM. He always passed the blame 

But he could scout

• Like (+1) 15
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

This him?

New general manager Doug Whaley isn't shy about taking ownership of the pick, even if he was second-in-command to Buddy Nix at the time.

"I was an integral part in the drafting process of EJ Manuel," Whaley said on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access" on Thursday. "I was the person that handled the draft process and setting up the board."

https://www.nfl.com/news/new-bills-gm-doug-whaley-integral-in-ej-manuel-pick-0ap1000000204027

• Like (+1) 5
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

I think they probably got the best of a really bad bunch tbh

That's absolutely true.

OTOH, GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO is still somehow in the league

Edited by FireChans

21 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The initial report is not at all what I remember.  Whaley was talking credit for EJ all over the place.  

Exactly what YOLO posted in the 2nd part.

I also remember arguments on the practice field where Marrone did not want EJ and Whaley seemed to make it clear that was where the Bills were going. 

I think Whaley (which he has done before) is trying to throw everyone but himself under the bus in the hopes he can find work again.

Dude is sleaze at this point.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 3

Doug Whaley is full of crap. That wasn’t Buddy Nix making all those trips down to Tallahassee to interview everyone and their mother about EJ’s character, work ethic, personality, etc., in the months leading up to that draft. That wasn’t Buddy Nix gushing about EJ’s “it” factor and the “presence people feel when he walks into a room.” 

Does Doug have anything to say about the hindsight mistake it was to make that deal for Watkins in 2014? Pretty sure that  wasn’t Buddy, either. 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

>>>>>If we would have drafted him in the third round – which that’s probably where he should have gone, maybe third or fourth round – he may have still been in the league today as a backup. But don’t back yourself in a corner or of overdraft because of need.”<<<<<

How was Whaley backed into a corner if HE didn't draft him?

Sure, blame it on a dead guy. The fact is that he was an inadequate GM, and I'm being kind. Whaley had less discipline than a kid in a candy store. He couldn't trade away draft picks fast enough and hurt the team by doing so. Ultimately, he was just about as bad as Levy, and I'm talking Rich Kotite level horrible.

The posters on @Virgil's mock were/are better GMs than Doug Whaley. 

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Doug Whaley is full of crap. That wasn’t Buddy Nix making all those trips down to Tallahassee to interview everyone and their mother about EJ’s character, work ethic, personality, etc., in the months leading up to that draft. That wasn’t Buddy Nix gushing about EJ’s “it” factor and the “presence people feel when he walks into a room.” 

Does Doug have anything to say about the hindsight mistake it was to make that deal for Watkins in 2014? Pretty sure that  wasn’t Buddy, either. 

I mean that was literally a pre-recorded speech he gave to the Backers IIRC.  If he now says he was lying, it’s called consumer fraud.  Dude should just never speak to the media because he’s a moron with that stuff.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Zing!  

He was lying then or lying now.  Pick one.

Ouch! That’s gonna leave a mark. I wonder what walk-back Whaley has to say about that.

• Haha (+1) 1