NFL Will End “Race Norming” in Concussion Settlements

K-9

This is absolutely repugnant but, also, not a surprising thing given the leagues history. The ‘protect the shield’ mentality fails to look at the possibility that doing what is right is the best way to protect it. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Didn’t see this subject being discussed anywhere. Shame on the NFL.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/06/03/nfl-concussion-settlement-race-norming/

Does the league serve as a microcosm for wider societal attitudes? 

Solid, thoughtful question. I do not generally support today's broad "systemic racism" assertions. But this article made me throw up in my mouth and really pissed me off. I owe it to this reality to give your question quality consideration. 

4 minutes ago, RochesterLifer said:

Solid, thoughtful question. I do not generally support today's broad "systemic racism" assertions. But this article made me throw up in my mouth and really pissed me off. I owe it to this reality to give your question quality consideration. 

Yes but if systemic racism was that bad, the subject wouldn't even come up, and there certainly would not be a revision. It sounds more like accounting cheapskates and saving money than true racism. It does look bad though, for sure. But again, it was studied, made public, taken care of. Injustices and unfairness happen all the time. Money and power are usually the root issues. Not "systemic racism". 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 5
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Yes but if systemic racism was that bad, the subject wouldn't even come up, and there certainly would not be a revision. It sounds more like accounting cheapskates and saving money than true racism. It does look bad though, for sure. But again, it was studied, made public, taken care of. Injustices and unfairness happen all the time. Money and power are usually the root issues. Not "systemic racism". 

Then why was it included? Why not just give them less money?

11 minutes ago, Madbillsfan said:

Then why was it included? Why not just give them less money?

Because to get by on the letter of the law you must have a law to justify your actions. If the NFL could somehow "norm" down all the players to an IQ of 80 after their playing days they would. This is a money situation not a race situation, but it is still wrong.

3 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Because to get by on the letter of the law you must have a law to justify your actions. If the NFL could somehow "norm" down all the players to an IQ of 80 after their playing days they would. This is a money situation not a race situation, but it is still wrong.

It’s a money situation based on race. That makes it impossible NOT to be a race situation. 

56 minutes ago, dwight in philly said:

Quite a long "life span" for this topic on the main board. 

This topic directly relates to the NFL. Why is it NOT for the main board? 

4 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Probably just the old white rich guy attitudes that own the league.

I don’t think archaic thinking about the relationship between race and intelligence is strictly confined to old rich white guys. Adopting policies to avoid paying damages based on that thinking might be, though. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, K-9 said:

It’s a money situation based on race. That makes it impossible NOT to be a race situation. 

This topic directly relates to the NFL. Why is it NOT for the main board? 

You mean like Covid does/did, which  I offered opinions about and got suspended for? 

Edited by dwight in philly

47 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Let me state it this way, the owners do not care about the race of the player they are screwing.