NFLPA says no to Toradol

• YoloinOhio changed the title to NFLPA says no to Toradol

Torodol is a wonderful medication. I administer it quite often working as a paramedic. Its half life is quite long so it is the perfect non narcotic to use prior to a game. 

Edited by DJB
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, DJB said:

Torodol is a wonderful medication. I administer it quite often working as a paramedic. Its half life is quite long so it is the perfect non narcotic to use prior to a game. 

I use Toradol with almost all of my patients, even in cases where we expect or have significant bleeding.  I've never had issue with bleeding.  This a mistake by the NFLPA IMO.  All NSAIDS can theoretically increase the bleeding.  Hope marijuana has been approved for the players pain because that's about all they have left.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BfloBillsFan said:

I use Toradol with almost all of my patients, even in cases where we expect or have significant bleeding.  I've never had issue with bleeding.  This a mistake by the NFLPA IMO.  All NSAIDS can theoretically increase the bleeding.  Hope marijuana has been approved for the players pain because that's about all they have left.

So that’s interesting because unless they are in the league drug program they only get tested once a year for marijuana (on 4/20 lol). And if they don’t pass they are fined and not suspended via the most recent CBA. So  I guess it kind of can be used for pain during the season at this point 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

I say 55 man rosters and dress 50..... plus adding that 17th game they need 50.

Agreed.  Some say that 18 games is going to happen sooner or later.  The NFL needs larger rosters to cope with the physical rigors of a longer season.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

They might need to expand game day rosters 

I mean, this has to be advisory in nature, right? 

Whether or not to offer a torodol injection really should be up to the medical staff, and whether to accept it should be up to the patient (player).

I agree that Torodol is a risky drug to use regularly because of the risk of unpredictable major bleeds...on the other hand, how often does that happen to players?  Is there data on that?

And torodol is used because of the perceived risk of narcotic dependence (plus of course narcotics dulling mental processes and reflexes)

Unless CBD is the answer?

22 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

So that’s interesting because unless they are in the league drug program they only get tested once a year for marijuana (on 4/20 lol). And if they don’t pass they are fined and not suspended via the most recent CBA. So  I guess it kind of can be used for pain during the season at this point 

That does not seem random, in any respect. 

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I mean, this has to be advisory in nature, right? 

Whether or not to offer a torodol injection really should be up to the medical staff, and whether to accept it should be up to the patient (player).

I agree that Torodol is a risky drug to use regularly because of the risk of unpredictable major bleeds...on the other hand, how often does that happen to players?  Is there data on that?

And torodol is used because of the perceived risk of narcotic dependence (plus of course narcotics dulling mental processes and reflexes)

Unless CBD is the answer?

That was the crux of my question (which remains unanswered). At first I thought it just might be a recommendation. But when I read the little blurb linked, it seemed like this might be a little more official. Surprised one of these "expert tweeters" hasn't addressed this yet.

5 minutes ago, The Dean said:

That was the crux of my question (which remains unanswered). At first I thought it just might be a recommendation. But when I read the little blurb linked, it seemed like this might be a little more official. Surprised one of these "expert tweeters" hasn't addressed this yet.

So reading the memo:

image.png.6dc87d2f8dcd3aa8a3c56535a15dad0a.png

I see "best practices education" and "guidelines".  The latter word is used 3x.

Typically when you have guidelines, they're not mandatory.  Otherwise they'd be "requirements" and not "guidelines"

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So reading the memo:

image.png.6dc87d2f8dcd3aa8a3c56535a15dad0a.png

I see "best practices education" and "guidelines".  The latter word is used 3x.

Typically when you have guidelines, they're not mandatory.  Otherwise they'd be "requirements" and not "guidelines"

How often do these recommendations (especially when they have been made in the past) implemented by the NFL. Just curious if anyone knows. 

Another tidbit:  

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10004746-nflpa-says-in-memo-that-toradol-shouldnt-be-used-because-of-risk-of-bleeding

The memo says players should not take the painkiller as a way to reduce anticipated pain.

It does allow for the oral preparation of the drug in typical circumstances or an injection following acute, game-related injury.

It's almost as if pain is the body's way of saying something is wrong and athletes should just get their injuries actually treated, rather than doping up to play through the pain.

Minor aches and pains are a natural part of physical jobs, but if you can't get through a game without surgical grade injections, something is wrong.