Mitchell Trubisky goes in depth on why he decided to sign with Bills

2 hours ago, BornAgainBillsFan said:

Thanks, as always, for keeping us informed, @YoloinOhio. I'd be horribly uninformed without you.

Trubisky had a rough go of it in Chicago, for various reasons. A new situation next year, after learning from Daboll, Dorsey and Josh, will most likely rejuvenate his career. He has the physical tools to be a quality starter in the league.

My only question is with his mental make-up. When he questioned whether the TV monitors in the Bears facility should be on, so he and his teammates had to hear all the negativity, that said a lot about his attitude. I'm just speculating here, but if that had been Josh, he might've asked for more monitors, and with the volume all the way up, so it could fuel his fire within. Hopefully he's learned from that, and doesn't let the outside noise get to him. Only time will tell.

He strikes me as a well-meaning, but sensitive individual which will make him really embrace/try, but also causes him to be vulnerable emotionally at times. It's the type of thing that I feel like he will eventually callous to, it's a question of when. Having someone like Josh and a supportive environment from McD and Daboll hopefully will do wonders for him, he seems like a great dude.

55 minutes ago, BillBrasky said:

Trubisky was in a very bad place last year. The 2020 Bears had it all: a poor OL, inconsistent running game, butterfingered receivers, and a stubborn head coach trying to prove he is an offensive genius.

Here's the best play from the Bear's 2020 lowlights reel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekjd2w79RT0

I never understand why teams think that getting an OC from teams with the best QB in the NFL is a good idea. Nagy, McCarthy, Gase, etc. 

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

The quarterback has not spoken to the media about his decision to sign with the Bills since joining the team in March until Thursday, when he did a video interview with The Buffalo News. Here is that conversation, which has been lightly edited for length and clarity:  

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/q-a-mitchell-trubisky-goes-in-depth-on-why-he-decided-to-sign-with-the/article_86247fb6-c49a-11eb-aaed-f714b0869192.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

All I took away from this is that Trubisky is incredibly boring.

• Haha (+1) 1

He is arguably the best backup in the league. I would love to see him win the Super Bowl with the Bills, in a supporting role, but for some reason, I could see a “one year rental” type trade to a play off level team who loses their QB to injury.  

IF that happens, we would hopefully get a high draft pick in return. 

13 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

On the plus side, they have a year rental on a player similar to Allen to keep the offense chugging along in case (knock on wood) something were to happen. He's a solid upgrade to Matt Barkley and I like that the Bills are taking initiative this season getting better wherever they can whether it's backup QB or even punter. It's not that Trubisky is necessarily "better" than Barkley, they just wanted someone in a more similar mold. I think there's an advantage to that, but also one to have a backup that plays a completely different game come in and screw up the opp's game plan. 

Re: the bolded (emphasis mine): it IS, in fact, "that Trubisky is necessarily "better" than Barkley." 

It is ALSO preferable that this demonstrably better QB is athletically "similar to Allen." Both can be true. 

Barkley did some good things in his time in Buffalo. Probably more important to Allen's development and the team's overall cohesion than we fully understand. But now that Allen has taken the steps he's taken, it's time for a guy with better tools to serve as our backup plan. 

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I watched a couple of bears games last year and he was not the biggest issue with that offense. I also looked at the list of QBs and I had him as my personal #19, but I would state he is no lower than 24th if you are being reasonable. 

Now that I've had more time to think about it I guess #20 is a reasonable spot to put him. The Bears were actually WINNING (ugly) when he was in. I have no clue why their stupid coach put in Nick Foles. Reminds me of the Flutie/Johnson situation and even moreso the Peterman/Tyrod one by making themselves look even more dysfunctional pulling Foles and putting Mitch back in (the reason they were in the playoff hunt to begin with) barely making it to the Wildcard game. I agree that he wasn't the sole reason they sucked, but he needs a ton of work. That Bears organization is a dumpster 🔥 regardless of them making the playoffs. Hopefully for their sake they don't ruin Fields. He's a player I think can have a great career if they develop him properly. 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles

9 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Re: the bolded (emphasis mine): it IS, in fact, "that Trubisky is necessarily "better" than Barkley." 

It is ALSO preferable that this demonstrably better QB is athletically "similar to Allen." Both can be true. 

Barkley did some good things in his time in Buffalo. Probably more important to Allen's development and the team's overall cohesion than we fully understand. But now that Allen has taken the steps he's taken, it's time for a guy with better tools to serve as our backup plan. 

Did a little more research and thinking on the subject and...

I agree w/ your points. Barkley essentially went 2-1 if you count the last Miami game, but you're right that Trubisky is a superior QB and athlete. Plus younger w/ higher upside. What you see is what you get w/ Barkley which is a career sub-60% completion rate and a pretty mediocre arm. I just didn't wanna disrespect him because he's a class act and did win us a couple games. I'm pretty sure he'll find a home w/ another team. If Blaine Gabbert still has a career then there's no reason Barkley shouldn't. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

Yes.  Barkley embraced his role and was a great mentor to Allen.  But at times last season, I had the impression that maybe he’d reached a plateau at being able to rapidly on the sideline diagnose what the defense was doing and help Allen figure out how to exploit it.  And of course, it speaks to his skill that the Bills felt Allen with a sprained AC Joint and a linebacker brace was better than Barkley taking a snap for 4 games, even when the game plan was almost 100% run.

Trubisky is statistically and in terms of results a better QB than Barkley.

23 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I agree w/ your points. Barkley essentially went 2-1 if you count the last Miami game, but you're right that Trubisky is a superior QB and athlete. Plus younger w/ higher upside. What you see is what you get w/ Barkley which is a career sub-60% completion rate and a pretty mediocre arm. I just didn't wanna disrespect him because he's a class act and did win us a couple games. I'm pretty sure he'll find a home w/ another team. If Blaine Gabbert still has a career then there's no reason Barkley shouldn't. 

I’m not sure Barkley wants to play football at this point.  I think he might want to pursue his Bitcoin thing and other interests and be a Family Guy.

8 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

Because generally teams looking for new HCs aren't good teams with good QBs? 

I’m sure Daboll would have LOooooovvved that job

I think Daboll needs to demonstrate mastery of a run game and integrating it into a pass-first offense to reach the top level of consideration as a HC candidate.  He may also need to demonstrate that he can return to the sideline productively.

• Agree 1

From the Chicago press on Trubisky's achievements while playing for a rookie head coach, who was making questionable play calls and personnel decisions and who had an obvious desire to cut Trubisky from the team:

"Trubisky went 25-13 under Matt Nagy, throwing 57 touchdowns, 30 interceptions and completing 65.3% of his passes. He also made the playoffs twice (0-2) and made the Pro Bowl in 2018.

Trubisky has the record for most passing yards by a Bears rookie quarterback, along with being the fastest quarterback to reach 10,000 yards in a Bears jersey. He will leave the Bears ranking first in passer rating (minimum of 300 attempts), fifth in passing yards, fifth in passing touchdowns and fifth in wins. Not a bad run in just 50 starts. Trubisky is also the only NFL quarterback to play 50-plus games and not throw a career pick-six."

Edited by BillBrasky
  • Like (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, BillBrasky said:

From the Chicago press on Trubisky's achievements while playing for a rookie head coach, who was making questionable play calls and personnel decisions and who had an obvious desire to cut Trubisky from the team:

"Trubisky went 25-13 under Matt Nagy, throwing 57 touchdowns, 30 interceptions and completing 65.3% of his passes. He also made the playoffs twice (0-2) and made the Pro Bowl in 2018.

Trubisky has the record for most passing yards by a Bears rookie quarterback, along with being the fastest quarterback to reach 10,000 yards in a Bears jersey. He will leave the Bears ranking first in passer rating (minimum of 300 attempts), fifth in passing yards, fifth in passing touchdowns and fifth in wins. Not a bad run in just 50 starts. Trubisky is also the only NFL quarterback to play 50-plus games and not throw a career pick-six."

Those statistics are more of a testament on how terrible the Bears have been at quarterback evaluation. It's pretty crazy considering they've been around since 1920 making them the 2nd oldest franchise (Packers are the oldest by a year.) So in a full CENTURY the best QB's they could produce were Sid Luckman, George Blanda, (both pre-1950) Both Jims Harbaugh/McMahon, Kyle Orton, and Smokin' Jay Cutler. That is a very mediocre list. 

I'll give you credit that Mitch Trubisky's #'s are pretty decent when you look at them on paper. The pick-six one is impressive as well. If you compare Josh Allens first 2 seasons versus Mitch Trubisky's first 2 on stats alone, they look pretty similar. Both had (statistically) unimpressive rookie seasons and had a big jump in the numbers in their 2nd years. All that's interesting & all, but the game tape tells a much better story. Anyone with any football knowledge (that's not a Bears fan) could see that Josh Allen was the more impressive QB. This is why I get annoyed by this era of fantasy football & analytics. 

With all of that being said, he's only 26 and there's still a chance that he can become a starter someday. I'm not closing the book on him yet. It was a great signing that upgrades the Bills at a very important position. We'll see how the future unfolds for him. 👍

On 6/3/2021 at 10:11 PM, El Guapo said:

I believe Trubisky came here to prove himself to Daboll. When our OC gets a HC gig next year, it will probably be with a bad team without a good QB. He takes Trubisky with him and he has a bridge QB.  It works for everyone involved, including the Bills this year. 

Do you have a nice bow because you've wrapped a beautiful package.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 6/4/2021 at 3:18 PM, clayboy54 said:

What good is intel when you don't have the talent to compete?

I don't expect the Jets to be a serious threat to the Bills any time soon, but that doesn't preclude them having a motive of gaining a little intelligence on an archrival.

On 6/4/2021 at 10:39 AM, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I like the pickup also, but I don't think they are able to win 10/17 with this run game. Also, I disagree about Trubisky being a top 20 QB (at the moment.) I do think he is a very intriguing prospect in the same ballpark as someone like Sam Darnold, both being high draft picks for big city/big market teams and not really put in the ideal position for success. Buffalo's media is definitely a far cry from Chicago's. I want to see how he does with less pressure, better coaching, and a superior offensive cast. I don't think the Bears took enough advantage of Mitch's speed & athleticism. 

With Allen's physical style, there's a good chance he could miss a couple games, unfortunately. Plus, after the mistake of playing so many starters in the final Miami game and a tougher 17 game schedule, they will probably rest their starters the final 1-2 games (depending on the standings obviously.) If Trib can shine in those moments then he might land a decent contract next year. I just wish Buffalo could've signed him for a year or 2 longer so they'd be able to make a return on all the time developing him.

On the plus side, they have a year rental on a player similar to Allen to keep the offense chugging along in case (knock on wood) something were to happen. He's a solid upgrade to Matt Barkley and I like that the Bills are taking initiative this season getting better wherever they can whether it's backup QB or even punter. It's not that Trubisky is necessarily "better" than Barkley, they just wanted someone in a more similar mold. I think there's an advantage to that, but also one to have a backup that plays a completely different game come in and screw up the opp's game plan. 

He is much better than Barkley. Sorry Matt.

But getting a high quality QB with e very similar skillset?  nothing less than Wizardry