Mitchell Trubisky goes in depth on why he decided to sign with Bills

His decision to sign with the Bills and his responses to the interview questions both show a lot of maturity on Mitch's part. He didn't badmouth Chicago or do the "woe is me" thing about his situation there. He put the onus on himself, acknowledged that he needs to grow, and recognized Buffalo as a place where he could learn and improve himself.

Yeah, it was full of cliches and I'm sure his agent coached him on how to approach interviews (knowing his next team would pay attention to that), but that just shows that he's coachable.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I keep thinking Barkley is going to end up with the jets. He’s still a FA and jets have no vet QB or anyone who has taken a reg season snap behind Wilson. 

I wonder just how much Barkley still wants to play football.  I think he loved Buffalo for the culture and because he developed a great relationship with Josh.  He knows he's not starting anywhere...does he really want to go learn a new system and fight for a backup job?  I have my doubts.

12 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

It is amazing to me that in under 5 years we went from chasing every decent player and having to convince them to come, to this, a top 20 QB deciding to come for less money just to play on a winner. I truly believe that if Trubisky had to start all 17 games we still win 10.

I like the pickup also, but I don't think they are able to win 10/17 with this run game. Also, I disagree about Trubisky being a top 20 QB (at the moment.) I do think he is a very intriguing prospect in the same ballpark as someone like Sam Darnold, both being high draft picks for big city/big market teams and not really put in the ideal position for success. Buffalo's media is definitely a far cry from Chicago's. I want to see how he does with less pressure, better coaching, and a superior offensive cast. I don't think the Bears took enough advantage of Mitch's speed & athleticism. 

With Allen's physical style, there's a good chance he could miss a couple games, unfortunately. Plus, after the mistake of playing so many starters in the final Miami game and a tougher 17 game schedule, they will probably rest their starters the final 1-2 games (depending on the standings obviously.) If Trib can shine in those moments then he might land a decent contract next year. I just wish Buffalo could've signed him for a year or 2 longer so they'd be able to make a return on all the time developing him.

On the plus side, they have a year rental on a player similar to Allen to keep the offense chugging along in case (knock on wood) something were to happen. He's a solid upgrade to Matt Barkley and I like that the Bills are taking initiative this season getting better wherever they can whether it's backup QB or even punter. It's not that Trubisky is necessarily "better" than Barkley, they just wanted someone in a more similar mold. I think there's an advantage to that, but also one to have a backup that plays a completely different game come in and screw up the opp's game plan. 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles
  • Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

Barkley is also a good guy.  Trubisky has a higher ceiling though.  He has youth, athleticism, and much stronger arm in his favor.  That's why Buffalo was happy to move on from Barkley.

Yeah, but can Trubisky twirl his jacket on the sidelines as good as Barkley?

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I keep thinking Barkley is going to end up with the jets. He’s still a FA and jets have no vet QB or anyone who has taken a reg season snap behind Wilson. 

Just for grins and giggles I looked up the remaining FA at QB on Spotrac:

image.thumb.png.6e4865f9200a58c3a37b2911fabb31ec.png

Alex Smith has officially retired. 

Of that shabby list, the "pick" of the liter might be.....Nick Mullens?  He's worked with Mike LaFleur.  He's shown he can actually play and not look totally foolish.  Too many picks, but the same can most definitely be said about the best QB on that list, Jameis Winston.

A bit hard to believe that the Jets are gonna roll with James Morgan, Mike White, and a rookie...but then again in 2018 we rolled through camp with AJ McCarron, Nate Peterdude, and a rookie.

6 hours ago, nucci said:

Why would Daboll sign with a bad team and bad QB?

Even tho as Chandler says that those will be the teams looking for coaches I really think Daboll will be here for at least another year......with the Bills going deep in the playoffs for the next few seasons it will be hard for teams to wait for Daboll and Frazier......plan on the coaching staff to stay steady for a few years!  At least I hope so!!

1 hour ago, eball said:

I wonder just how much Barkley still wants to play football.  I think he loved Buffalo for the culture and because he developed a great relationship with Josh.  He knows he's not starting anywhere...does he really want to go learn a new system and fight for a backup job?  I have my doubts.

It's a good point.  Remember it was partway into the season when the Bills signed him and they were clearly pretty desperate.

He's a Cali guy with 3 kids, and his eldest looks about school age.  He's into Bitcoin and various fitness events (running a race with a weighted vest on Memorial Day).  His twitter account reads "I play quarterback, but that doesn't define me".  

He might figure it's time to take his reported $8.8M career earnings and move on.  (Half of that money was earned in the last 3 years with the Bills, btw)

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

A bit hard to believe that the Jets are gonna roll with James Morgan, Mike White, and a rookie...but then again in 2018 we rolled through camp with AJ McCarron, Nate PeterPICK, and a rookie.

There - I fixed that for you......u musta been in a high level meeting when you posted that Hap!  🤣 

Edited by Kwai San
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I am hopeful Fromm will beat him out for the number 2 spot

I'm hopeful he can fill the #2 spot one year from now.

From what I hear from the weeds, he's got a Grade A QB mind, but the physical tools are average at best. I hope he can improve sufficiently this year, now that he's not exiled in Covid-free isolation.

Thanks, as always, for keeping us informed, @YoloinOhio. I'd be horribly uninformed without you.

Trubisky had a rough go of it in Chicago, for various reasons. A new situation next year, after learning from Daboll, Dorsey and Josh, will most likely rejuvenate his career. He has the physical tools to be a quality starter in the league.

My only question is with his mental make-up. When he questioned whether the TV monitors in the Bears facility should be on, so he and his teammates had to hear all the negativity, that said a lot about his attitude. I'm just speculating here, but if that had been Josh, he might've asked for more monitors, and with the volume all the way up, so it could fuel his fire within. Hopefully he's learned from that, and doesn't let the outside noise get to him. Only time will tell.

15 hours ago, Victory Formation said:

I think New England should have went after this guy. He has talent, but played for a piss poor franchise. 

Ive always felt that Mitch is fixable and was in a terrible situation, much like Darnold.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

A bit hard to believe that the Jets are gonna roll with James Morgan, Mike White, and a rookie...but then again in 2018 we rolled through camp with AJ McCarron, Nate Peterdude, and a rookie.

I still can't believe the Bills picked up a 5th for McCarron.  Barely even unpacked his bags, and 'whoosh'...

19 minutes ago, Whites Bay said:

I still can't believe the Bills picked up a 5th for McCarron.  Barely even unpacked his bags, and 'whoosh'...

It was that dramatic 4th qtr preseason comeback vs the Bears that did it lol. Plus gruden loves guys from Bama. Beane probably called him right after the game and told him “this guy AJ, he’s just a winner. All he knows is winning, Jon”

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I like the pickup also, but I don't think they are able to win 10/17 with this run game. Also, I disagree about Trubisky being a top 20 QB (at the moment.) I do think he is a very intriguing prospect in the same ballpark as someone like Sam Darnold, both being high draft picks for big city/big market teams and not really put in the ideal position for success. Buffalo's media is definitely a far cry from Chicago's. I want to see how he does with less pressure, better coaching, and a superior offensive cast. I don't think the Bears took enough advantage of Mitch's speed & athleticism. 

With Allen's physical style, there's a good chance he could miss a couple games, unfortunately. Plus, after the mistake of playing so many starters in the final Miami game and a tougher 17 game schedule, they will probably rest their starters the final 1-2 games (depending on the standings obviously.) If Trib can shine in those moments then he might land a decent contract next year. I just wish Buffalo could've signed him for a year or 2 longer so they'd be able to make a return on all the time developing him.

On the plus side, they have a year rental on a player similar to Allen to keep the offense chugging along in case (knock on wood) something were to happen. He's a solid upgrade to Matt Barkley and I like that the Bills are taking initiative this season getting better wherever they can whether it's backup QB or even punter. It's not that Trubisky is necessarily "better" than Barkley, they just wanted someone in a more similar mold. I think there's an advantage to that, but also one to have a backup that plays a completely different game come in and screw up the opp's game plan. 

I watched a couple of bears games last year and he was not the biggest issue with that offense. I also looked at the list of QBs and I had him as my personal #19, but I would state he is no lower than 24th if you are being reasonable.