Mitchell Trubisky goes in depth on why he decided to sign with Bills

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I actually feel bad for Bears fan about this.

Umm... granted, we got a good player in Tre'Davious White, but we actually traded away the chance to pick Mahomes.  I don't feel bad for Bears fans on this one.

3 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

I have not heard if they reached out or not - it sounded like he had offers to compete for starting jobs and chose to come here to learn and develop.

From this interview it actually sounds like he expected to have a starting opportunity but didn't get offered one, so he chose the Bills as the best backup job he could take.

BN: When you say it wasn't what you were expecting, do you mean the opportunity to sign in Buffalo?

MT: "Right. I was hopefully looking for an opportunity to go compete somewhere and maybe get a starter spot somewhere, but coming here and backing up Josh is going to be a new role, but I'm ready to embrace that and be a part of this great team and help any way I can.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, DJB said:

That was a great interview and loved how candid Mitch was. 

Thanks for posting!

Disagree completely with your first line.

Agree completely with your second line. 

(There is no "reaction" that fits.)

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Did this remind anyone else of Nuke Laloosh working on his cliches with Crash Davis?

This is closer to what I think of the majority of his answers. Which is fine, I suppose. Smart, at least. And boring.

Closer examination of Crash's list reveals Trubisky nailed all of them, in spirit, minus the last one. 

Edited by Richard Noggin
  • Eyeroll 2

7 hours ago, El Guapo said:

I believe Trubisky came here to prove himself to Daboll. When our OC gets a HC gig next year, it will probably be with a bad team without a good QB. He takes Trubisky with him and he has a bridge QB.  It works for everyone involved, including the Bills this year. 

Why would Daboll sign with a bad team and bad QB?

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

Good for Mitch and the Bills. I do feel like it's a win-win. Having a year with Daboll if/when he becomes a HC definitely can't hurt.

I think Fields is going to suffer the same fate as Mitch. Definitely talented enough but needs to be developed, and we'll it is the Bears.

It does seem like Nagy is putting fields development first, at least at this point. He announced this week that dalton will be the week 1 starter and fields will be QB2. He wasn’t in Chicago for Mitch’s 1st year but he was in KC for mahomes 1st year so was part of the decision to redshirt him.  Their bye week is week 10 so that’s the earliest I expect to see fields barring injury unless dalton is just that bad before that.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Buftex said:

Umm... granted, we got a good player in Tre'Davious White, but we actually traded away the chance to pick Mahomes.  I don't feel bad for Bears fans on this one.

Well we did get Allen the very next year.

Plus, the Bears had the #2 pick.  They had a shot at two franchise QB’s and picked the one who busted.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

Barkley is also a good guy.  Trubisky has a higher ceiling though.  He has youth, athleticism, and much stronger arm in his favor.  That's why Buffalo was happy to move on from Barkley.

This.   He's a poor man's Josh.  Big strong good arm and mobile.  He could not be a better fit for the team and offense.   As someone stated above he could win 10 games easy with this roster.   This was an A++ signing for us and A++ decision for Mitch to reset. He also gets to see what Josh did to improve accuracy and footwork as well.  

My guess is that Mitch will be a pro bowler again in the future. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

This is closer to what I think of the majority of his answers. Which is fine, I suppose. Smart, at least. And boring.

Closer examination of Crash's list reveals Trubisky nailed all of them, in spirit, minus the last one. 

I didn't read Trubisky say "the Good Lord willing, it will all work out..." but close enough.  And yep, smart.

In person, of course, his answers may have had the ring of sincerity.  But I personally didn't finish reading feeling I had much understanding of whether Trubisky actually had any offers to come in and compete for a starting job and turned them down for a backup role, or whether he was specifically motivated to come play for Daboll or to be in the QB room with Allen or whatever. 

Mostly I learned it's great and he's excited.

There were nuggets of insight scattered here and there

BN: How big of a factor was Brian Daboll's system and how he uses quarterbacks in deciding to sign here?

MT: "Coach Daboll definitely made it very attractive to come here in the conversations I was having with him, how he plays to his quarterback's strengths, no matter if it's Josh in there or somebody else. He says he's going to call the game to the quarterback's strengths and allow his playmakers to get open and make plays. From being able to observe from afar and see the kinds of things that they were doing in this offense and how they were putting up prolific numbers, they've got great playmakers across the board and have a great offensive line. It was just something that was attractive to me and something I wanted to be a part of. ... It just seemed like a great offense to be a part of and learn from. It's been awesome picking that up schematically since I got here."

He did sound sincere about embracing his role as a backup:

Always putting the team first is a great way to go about it, so however I can help the team, whatever I can do to make them get better. I am in a little bit of a less-pressure role, but I always have to be prepared. That's my job – just stay prepared and help the rest of the guys as much as I can. As it goes for Josh, just having his back. He had a great season last year, and my job this year is to make sure he has an even better one this year. ... We're trying to be the best we can possibly be on a daily basis.

BN: A big part of the backup quarterback's job is playing a support role of sorts. How do you feel like you and Josh will work together in the film room, on the sideline during games and on the practice field during the week?

MT: "I see it being very positive and very helpful. From Day One, I told him, 'Look man, I've got your back. I'm going to support you all the way. Anything you need, let me know.' Whether you want me to watch film for you and kind of break down defenses or just tell you what I'm seeing, or just having that open communication. I know when I was in that role, just knowing that the other guys in the room had your back when you're going through things, I know that feels really good. So we have a really tight quarterback room. Being around Josh and the other guys has been so much fun so far, just picking their brains and learning this offense together. ... I see this relationship being very strong and a positive one that's going to help this team."

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I think Trubisky came here because Josh Allen has an Arrogant arm and there could be open job

I think I know a TBDer who has arrogant fingers and thumbs.  He has a bad leg. 🤪😜👍🙏😇

Seriously, he is a great backup QB from a place akin to the Jests.  He’ll most

likely be a one year phenom if JA17 gets hurt for a game or two (btw- I certainly hope not at all).  We have a guy for once depending on the time of the season and opponents who could take us 3-1.  That doesn’t mean we want it as I trust JA more than anyone, And with Him staying in the pocket more (rushing 2018, 600+ yds, 2019. 500+ yds, 400+ yds).

We’re in good shape and is going to be a fun year.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I truly believe that if Trubisky had to start all 17 games we still win 10.

And THAT'S why if Mr. Josh F. Allen has to be out for a period of time, this particular team will probably hold serve at worst, with Mitch at the helm. Great signing.

• Like (+1) 2