Mitchell Trubisky goes in depth on why he decided to sign with Bills

The quarterback has not spoken to the media about his decision to sign with the Bills since joining the team in March until Thursday, when he did a video interview with The Buffalo News. Here is that conversation, which has been lightly edited for length and clarity:  

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/q-a-mitchell-trubisky-goes-in-depth-on-why-he-decided-to-sign-with-the/article_86247fb6-c49a-11eb-aaed-f714b0869192.amp.html?__twitter_impression=true

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 6

It is amazing to me that in under 5 years we went from chasing every decent player and having to convince them to come, to this, a top 20 QB deciding to come for less money just to play on a winner. I truly believe that if Trubisky had to start all 17 games we still win 10.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Agree 4

5 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I think New England should have went after this guy. He has talent, but played for a piss poor franchise. 

I have not heard if they reached out or not - it sounded like he had offers to compete for starting jobs and chose to come here to learn and develop.

It is not his fault Chi drafted him before Mahomes, and Watson.  With that said he has played ok.  Good td to int ratio.  Good winning record.  He has the talent to be an above average starter.  He is the best backup in the league.  I could see him pull a Hoestetller or a Foles if called on.  I said it when he signed.  Buffalo has the top 2 qbs in the division going off 2020.  

• Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

It is not his fault Chi drafted him before Mahomes, and Watson.  With that said he has played ok.  Good td to int ratio.  Good winning record.  He has the talent to be an above average starter.  He is the best backup in the league.  I could see him pull a Hoestetller or a Foles if called on.  I said it when he signed.  Buffalo has the top 2 qbs in the division going off 2020.  

I liked his game after his benching last year. Kinda Alex Smith ish. Would be cool to see him go on and prosper next year!

I believe Trubisky came here to prove himself to Daboll. When our OC gets a HC gig next year, it will probably be with a bad team without a good QB. He takes Trubisky with him and he has a bridge QB.  It works for everyone involved, including the Bills this year. 

• Like (+1) 12
  • Agree 8
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I believe Trubisky came here to prove himself to Daboll. When our OC gets a HC gig next year, it will probably be with a bad team without a good QB. He takes Trubisky with him and he has a bridge QB.  It works for everyone involved, including the Bills this year. 

Have to think this is something his agent brought up to him 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I actually feel bad for Bears fan about this.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I actually feel bad for Bears fan about this.

So my boss is a huge Bears fan. He is excited about Fields now (I had to talk him into it) but he really thinks Mitch got a raw deal in Chicago to some degree. Seems like most of their fans still like him, because hes a good guy and did some good things but his development went awry. I think he started too soon only having one real year of college production and seems like they plan to do things differently with fields. Of course, the Bills planned for Allen not to play right away either but there he was at halftime week 1…

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

So my boss is a huge Bears fan. He is excited about Fields now (I had to talk him into it) but he really thinks Mitch got a raw deal in Chicago to some degree. Seems like most of their fans still like him, because hes a good guy and did some good things but his development went awry. I think he started too soon only having one real year of college production and seems like they plan to do things differently with fields. Of course, the Bills planned for Allen not to play right away either but there he was at halftime week 1…

I watched a lot of UGA being down here in Atlanta.  Fromm did look better and you really couldn’t sit him after leading them to the National Championship game.  I understand why Fields transferred and obviously a good move.  I didn’t watch him too much at OSU so I don’t have an opinion on him.

What’s your boss think about Nagy?  

I heard Trubisky is a great guy.  I feel better about him than Barkley.  I hope he can resurrect his career, learn from Daboll and get a chance to compete in a year or two.

14 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I watched a lot of UGA being down here in Atlanta.  Fromm did look better and you really couldn’t sit him after leading them to the National Championship game.  I understand why Fields transferred and obviously a good move.  I didn’t watch him too much at OSU so I don’t have an opinion on him.

I heard Trubisky is a great guy.  I feel better about him than Barkley.  I hope he can resurrect his career, learn from Daboll and get a chance to compete in a year or two.

He wanted Nagy and Pace gone after last year and had zero confidence they would do anything good in the draft. He’s now done a complete 180 and thinks they punched a ticket to their future with fields. But still asks me about Mitch all the time, making sure he’s doing ok lol

Edit -

Narrator: “He was ok…”

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPq3T0bjHGa/?utm_medium=copy_link

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Barkley is also a good guy.  Trubisky has a higher ceiling though.  He has youth, athleticism, and much stronger arm in his favor.  That's why Buffalo was happy to move on from Barkley.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, BigAl2526 said:

Barkley is also a good guy.  Trubisky has a higher ceiling though.  He has youth, athleticism, and much stronger arm in his favor.  That's why Buffalo was happy to move on from Barkley.

I keep thinking Barkley is going to end up with the jets. He’s still a FA and jets have no vet QB or anyone who has taken a reg season snap behind Wilson. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

I keep thinking Barkley is going to end up with the jets. He’s still a FA and jets have no vet QB or anyone who has taken a reg season snap behind Wilson. 

Makes sense.  Might give them a little intel on Buffalo's offense as a bonus.

• Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, DJB said:

That was a great interview and loved how candid Mitch was. 

Thanks for posting!

I came away with the same feeling after reading his responses. It seemed like some questions were baiting him to talk badly about his time in Chicago but he took the high road. 

Very good interview and comes across as a very mature person. He may not ever be a great starter but he has shown enough on the field to have a long career in the NFL. Todd Collins, Alex Smith come to mind. 

Glad we got him even if as a 1 year rental 

• Like (+1) 1

Good for Mitch and the Bills. I do feel like it's a win-win. Having a year with Daboll if/when he becomes a HC definitely can't hurt.

I think Fields is going to suffer the same fate as Mitch. Definitely talented enough but needs to be developed, and we'll it is the Bears.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1