Hard Knox: Dawson Knox Watch

Josh Allen didn't just miraculously get so much better.  He knew his game had flaws and he really worked hard in the offseason after each of his first two seasons.  (I haven't heard what he's been doing this year.  I hope he's been back with Jordan Palmer, working on some new ways to be great.)

Anyway the fact that Knox recognized his flaws and is working hard to correct them at least gives him the chance to advance and improve.  He's acting like a professional athlete.  

• Like (+1) 1

i've taken a dump on knox plenty of times, as it stands right now he's simply not an effective player from the tight end position.  an average NFL starting TE would have been a huge help in the KC game, an above average TE and above average nfl RB in that game mighta given us a snowballs chance of winning that game.

part of knox's problem tho, is he is a great individual athlete who came out raw and has essentially been the best TE on the roster the whole time he's been on the team.  that's a problem schematically and for his development. 

dabol must go back to his NE roots and have our O take better advantage of the opponents weaknesses and mix in some more quick hitting plays where targets underneath get the ball quickly, or our RBs get good carries into passing Ds.  imo he's a bit in love w Josh's limitless talent and we put the whole team on his shoulders too much.  if knox can show some consistency, i think dabo will do his part and we can play the game from an advantage position much more.

17 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I tend to agree, OP. It really feels as if his issues with drops are more about momentary lapses in focus and concentration, and less about hand-eye coordination. However, at least he is trying to improve and, intuitively, one would think focus / concentration would be an integral part of the training. I really like Knox and I believe he has all the physical tools to be a really good TE. I hope this training (and whatever else he may be doing to improve his catching consistency) translates into an improvement on the field. He really has to show a marked improvement this year.

Well said.  Knox is a bit of an enigma.  He will make a very difficult catch in one moment and drop a perfect pass in another instance.  He appears not to watch the ball into his hands before he starts looking to make his next move.  Other players have had trouble with this, corrected it, and went on to have great careers.  Even Jerry Rice had trouble with drops during his rookie season and through some off-season work corrected it.  I'm not expecting Jerry Rice type performance but I do think he can make a marked improvement.  With the other weapons available on the offence, the Bills don't need him to be a superstar.  He just needs to be a reliable viable option that opponents need to defend.  He has not been that up to this point.

16 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Because nothing screams the size, shape and weight of a football like a ping pong ball. Yikes

I had two older brothers who constantly threw stuff at me.  I finally learned to catch the stuff instead of ducking.

All that "training" really helped me catch a football.  LOL.

Knox Training Exercise............

• Haha (+1) 1

I think I'm the only Bills fan who hopes they DON'T trade for/sign Ertz.  I think Knox is going to make a strong 3rd year jump, and I'm confident in Hollister plus whoever survives out of Gilliam/Sweeney/Becker/Morris to fill out the squad.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, eball said:

I think I'm the only Bills fan who hopes they DON'T trade for/sign Ertz.  I think Knox is going to make a strong 3rd year jump, and I'm confident in Hollister plus whoever survives out of Gilliam/Sweeney/Becker/Morris to fill out the squad.

+1 to your list.

11 minutes ago, eball said:

I'm not "all in" on Ertz.  He was undoubtedly a great player in his day, but I'm not convinced the fall-off was 100% on Wentz and I'm not persuaded he's the missing link to get the team to the next level. 

30 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I had two older brothers who constantly threw stuff at me.  I finally learned to catch the stuff instead of ducking.

All that "training" really helped me catch a football.  LOL.

So that's Knox problem, his sibling is a soccer star

26 minutes ago, eball said:

I would hope you're in the minority.  An Ertz/Knox/Hollister TE room looks really good to me.

The single biggest potential improvement on O is at the TE (moreso than RB).  And a former pro bowl caliber player is possible.

I'm hoping we get to file this post right next to the old classic from last year "I may be in the minority, but I don't want Diggs"

• Haha (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, eball said:

I go back and forth on Ertz. I think he helps up the talent at the position. As long as the price isn't too high (trade value and cap hit), he probably helps the team.   But bottom line: I trust Beane to make the decision.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I would hope you're in the minority.  An Ertz/Knox/Hollister TE room looks really good to me.

The single biggest potential improvement on O is at the TE (moreso than RB).  And a former pro bowl caliber player is possible.

I'm hoping we get to file this post right next to the old classic from last year "I may be in the minority, but I don't want Diggs"

If we do trade for Ertz and he really performs for us and elevates our offense, I will be happy to line up for my plate of crow.  And just FTR, I really wanted Diggs and was thrilled when we traded for him.  The only receiver I would have wanted more was Deandre Hopkins and that wasn't gonna happen within the AFC.

25 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

For the record, I praised the Diggs acquisition immediately.  I'll be fine with it if they make the move, but I don't think it's necessary.

14 minutes ago, eball said:

For the record, I praised the Diggs acquisition immediately.  I'll be fine with it if they make the move, but I don't think it's necessary.

I do like Knox/Hollister but Ertz is another level IMO.  I do think Ertz/Knox/Hollister is excellent TE room.

With injuries, just two TEs is risky- I'm real skeptical of whoever is #3 right now.  TEs take a beating.  17 games plus playoffs this year.

We've seen some real flashes w/ Knox - particularly after the catch.

He just seems like one of those guys who is on the brink of putting it all together.  He could potentially be a fan fave for years.  I hope (as I'm sure we all do) that this is a breakout season for him.

The thing that frustrates me about Knox is he has the ability to make these really wild off balanced circus catches....but then drops the ones where he's open and it hits his hands. 

I don't know how that gets fixed. Maybe McKenzie can ride on his back and whack him upside the head when the ball is almost there to make the catch more difficult. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

The thing that frustrates me about Knox is he has the ability to make these really wild off balanced circus catches....but then drops the ones where he's open and it hits his hands. 

It's run after catch, not run before catch.