Is there another hurdle JA needs to hop over?

Hoping he plays under center more, playing in the gun so much indicates he may have needed more help seeing the defense. Also  handing

the ball off that much deeper in the back field is part of the reason our running game wasnt as effective.  

Hoping he plays under center more, playing in the gun so much indicates he may have needed more help seeing the defense. Also  handing

the ball off that much deeper in the back field is part of the reason our running game wasnt as effective.  

47 minutes ago, Pirate Angel said:

200.gif

• Haha (+1) 3

Knock off the wacky huge loss sacks and fumbles.

Put the ball in the receivers hands where they don't have to break stride, reach too far, and otherwise disrupt their ability to run after catch.

Thankfully, he seems to know that, as has mentioned it as an offseason goal, but it is an accuracy thing.

That's one of the things about Brady.

He puts it right on the numbers in the receiver's stride.

Josh doesn't, but he usually gets it there.

Weird thing, he usually nails the sideline routes like nobody I've seen.

6 hours ago, gobillsinytown said:

The major things I saw from last year:

Cutting down on fumbles.

Getting a little too "amped up" for the major games.  I saw his emotions run away with him on a couple of occasions.

Keep cutting down on the tendency to "hero ball" and expose himself to unnecessary hits.

He's a young guy so these things are to be expected and will get better with time so long as he focuses on being more disciplined.  

Looking at the HOF QB's I see one trait that gets overlooked:  Most of the time they take what the defense gives them.  The best QB's will always find a hole in the defense, so it's rare for them to have to put the team on their shoulders.

So the next step is to become the "field general"  and I have no doubt that's exactly what he'll do.  

Good list.

I was also thinking of ball security.  He seems to fumble a lot when he's running.  It's the only negative side to ability to run around outside the pocket.

He also definitely hasn't played his best football in the playoffs, or against the other premier teams.  I want to see him occasionally dominate (think Miami, Denver, San Francisco last year) when he's playing an elite opponent.  

As he mentioned himself, there are also some specific throws/patterns that he could stand to improve his accuracy and timing.

Turnovers. He threw 10 picks last year which doesn’t seem like a lot. However Rodgers only threw 5 and Mahomes threw 6.  He still fumbles a bit too much but that did get better. He has had red zone fumbles but no red-zone interceptions - though I recall at least two dropped end-zone picks.  Sooner or later it will happen. Will be interesting to see how he responds.

7 hours ago, H2o said:

Oh, yeah, his combined total of 300 yards passing in those two games and his 13-12/14-7 victories against Marcus Mariota were totally outstanding performances. :rolleyes: Tannehill and the Titans whooped Josh's a** and took his lunch money last year. 

Yes, and there was nothing weird about that game at all. It's not like the Titans had 16 days rest or anything while Bills didn't know who they were playing against until the last minute. Also, he never took the field at the same time as Tannehill or Mariota. A win is a win is a win, so you can't say a team has another team's number when you've won against them two out of three times and the third time was one of the most asterisky situations. 

I want the Bills to beat the Chefs, because they clearly have our number and are the team to get past to get to the Super Bowl. I want the Bills to beat the Titans b/c last year's game still leaves a bad taste in my mouth (don't like how they flouted the rules then acted like the victims) and I want the beatdown to be thorough so there is zero doubt.  

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

IMO this is a hurdle Josh can improve. 

It really comes in two parts.  He developed a lot at not trying to win on every play last season.  But he still doesn't see/take the checkdown at times, even when the player in question has a ton of green grass around him.

But the other part is, I don't think he fully trusts the guys who are out there (Singletary, Knox) to be a safe outlet leading to a good play.  So they have to develop too, or else give way to someone who can get it done.

Hopefully he'll continue to mature here.

The Bills had 3 games with 25 or less passing attempts last season (1st NE, Chargers, and 2nd Miami).  We won all 3.

The MIA game he only played a half, but seems to me he performed pretty well in the other 2 games where we rushed 38 and 30 times, respectively.

He has made strides in that area but he still looks a little uncomfortable with that style if game plan to me. In the New England he was barely over 60٪ passing with a int. The 2nd Miami he had 25 passing attempts for the half so I definitely wouldn't count that game. Chargers game I will give you but again some work to do. 

I just want the team to be able to run the ball when needed but that will come down to team effort and not just on Josh

12 hours ago, Ramza86 said:

I was wondering if we saw Allen at his peak last year.

One thing I did notice is that he didnt play his best away with live crowds!

JA also admitted that the KC fans were so loud and he would be a liar and say he wasnt affected.

Wonder if his emotions are the next hurdle? is that even a thing? lol

If you think he has to hop over a hurdle, it can't be that big

Ramza, he’s won more than enough games with crowds.  Don’t you think we may have lost not because of 6000 fans or so, but because our strategy which was smart to make them run worked but worked too well.  We had limping Brown, White, Milano, and Edmunds.

The second game we had four WR’s banged up, and again we were out coached and outplayed.  There’s no easy excuse of crowds and no fear of fans.  Josh will be fine with 73,000 fans.  Besides he has Neil Sedacka and Elvis to keep him calm.

Taking too many unnecessary 15 yards Sacks . He needs to not try to escape backwards every time he is rush from the middle , he needs to throw an incomplete or take a 5 yard sack to give your self a better chance for the next down.