Is there another hurdle JA needs to hop over?

I was wondering if we saw Allen at his peak last year.

One thing I did notice is that he didnt play his best away with live crowds!

JA also admitted that the KC fans were so loud and he would be a liar and say he wasnt affected.

Wonder if his emotions are the next hurdle? is that even a thing? lol

Personally, I don’t think he’s near his ceiling as of yet. The primary hurdle is doing what he started last year: stringing together strong performances from game to game and utilizing his arm strength to connect on more bombs. 

• Like (+1) 3

The next hurdle for Allen and the entire team, actually, is playing under the weight of raised expectations. Nice problem to have, but it can ratchet up the pressure when things don’t go well. Think ‘89 Bills. 

• Like (+1) 8

8 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

Personally, I don’t think he’s near his ceiling as of yet. The primary hurdle is doing what he started last year: stringing together strong performances from game to game and utilizing his arm strength to connect on more bombs. 

And a little less fumbles!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

JA also admitted that the KC fans were so loud and he would be a liar and say he wasnt affected.

That's a big myth. Allen has always put up better #s on the road. 

If there's something Allen could improve on it's using his check down as a weapon more often. Getting to his check down quicker as well. Taking less hits. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't ever want JA to be a pocket only qb, but I do want him to focus on better/stronger ball security when he does scramble.  He needs to believe in the benefit of the short pass as much as the deep ball. And finally do a little calming excercise right before a game. 

• Like (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Yes clearly one game a pattern makes.

I think it is more looking at the previous season when there were fans in the stands and not just the one game last year.  I have heard they call it  "Sugar Rush Josh" when he gets too excited and tries to force a play.  IMO that seemed to disappear last year, but it is a lot easier to be calm when you don't have 80k Bills fans screaming and getting you juiced up before you go out there.   I am sure with the increased confidence that he has that it will not be an issue, but hopefully the entire team is more focused than ever and they can keep playing great ball.  

Edited by Gregthekeg
  • Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

I for sure think we haven't seen his peak yet. I think he gets even better. Only "hurdle" for him imo is making smarter decisions at times and he will, since he will be learning even more. 

Far as the crowd thing goes, I'm in the crowd that's not concerned with that one single bit (and don't get why some are concerned as much as they are about this). I mean the playoffs had fans, obviously playoffs are going to be tougher games anyways. The crowd/fans aspect simply has nothing to do with his play imo as far as him regressing, or the notion he played well because of no fans.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I expect Allen to be slightly better this year. Another year of adjusting his form and getting it to be muscle memory, an actual off-season with his WR. Our O-Line hopefully getting to practice together prior to the season. Adjustments being made to fix the run game (hopefully). With an extra game, I expect him to hit 5000 yards passing this year.

28 minutes ago, K-9 said:

The next hurdle for Allen and the entire team, actually, is playing under the weight of raised expectations. Nice problem to have, but it can ratchet up the pressure when things don’t go well. Think ‘89 Bills. 

Hmmmm - a 2020's version of the Bickering Bills!!!!  I would take that!!!

5 minutes ago, Kwai San said:

Hmmmm - a 2020's version of the Bickering Bills!!!!  I would take that!!!

I could do without the bickering, but yeah, the events of ‘89 served to galvanize that team and Jim finally decided to grow up. Not that Allen needs much growing up as he’s light years ahead of Kelly in the maturity department at the same age. 

• Like (+1) 2