The USFL is back in 2022

34 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

USFL was never innovative

Technically, very incorrect.

The 2 point conversion.

Allowing coaches to challenge an officials call.

Utlitized a "salary cap".

All things the NFL later adopted and have GREATLY impacted the game.

Also the first professional usage of the "run and shoot" that was a harbinger of modern pro passing attacks.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

That's littering and would result in a fine.

listen...you just need to stick to arguing with badolbilz.  it's wildly entertaining to me.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

It’s only chance of survival is if it turns into a feeder league for the NFL, otherwise it will need very deep pockets for at minimum a decade, to establish itself as a separate football entity, that I don’t see happening, but hey, more power to them, if the pockets are deep enough, they could get some better level talent to sign with them..., maybe...,

The USFL was actually good to Buffalo in that regard. Jim Kelly, Doug Flutie, Kent Hull, Scott Norwood, Ray Bentley, Dwight Drane, and others all played there first. Bill Polian, Marv Levy, and John Butler also were there before Buffalo.

https://www.espn.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/4953/remembering-how-useful-the-usfl-was-to-buffalo

"Bills fans despised the USFL for harboring Kelly and luring away star running back Joe Cribbs, yet no other team benefited more from the USFL than the Bills did.

The man who built their Super Bowl teams (Bill Polian), his eventual replacement (John Butler) and the man who coached them (Marv Levy) all came from the Chicago Blitz. Three-time Pro Bowl center Kent Hull was undrafted out of college, but proved himself with the New Jersey Generals.

[...]

Polian wouldn't have gotten his break when he did. Somebody else would've needed to make selections such as Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed and Shane Conlan.

Without the USFL, enough variables would have altered Bills history that they wouldn't have gone to four consecutive Super Bowls.

And it's safe to say one other memorable event wouldn't have occurred.

Birmingham Stallions kicker Scott Norwood probably wouldn't have made it to the NFL either."

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'd rather argue with the guy from BBMB that said NFL coaching was easy and that anyone can do it.  Remember him?  At least he was genuine.

was that the same guy that said finding a starting qb was easy, and that the bills should trade every pick they had that year to get jameis winston?

32 minutes ago, chongli said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31559189/usfl-relaunching-spring-2022-least-eight-teams

"The USFL's return could result in two pro leagues playing football in the spring. The XFL has been targeting a 2022 resumption of play after owners Dany Garcia, Dwayne Johnson and RedBird Capital Partners purchased the league out of bankruptcy in 2020. Planning for the XFL's 2022 season has been on pause since March, when it entered into negotiations regarding a collaboration with the Canadian Football League."

Ought to be quite an interesting spring.

It'd make sense for all those millionaires with apparently cash to burn, to combine the three ideas into one, where you could have football in both the US and Canada.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Rico said:

So does Whaley jump or does he stick with the XFL? :o

Haha, good question. According to his linkedin page, he is no longer with the XFL and is now the managing partner at Beautiful Game Group, LLC:

https://www.linkedin.com/in/dougwhaley

"Beautiful Game Group LLC

1 year 2 months

Managing Partner

May 2020 - Present 1 year 2 months

COO and Managing Partner

May 2020 - May 2020 1 month

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States

Beautiful Game Group LLC is a modern private equity company, that intends to invest in a network of professional sports teams across a variety of global growth sports.

We intend to invest in soccer, basketball, eSports, cycling and rugby teams, employing extensive industry knowledge and research, to seek to achieve sustained sporting success and enhancing brand value, with social responsibility at our core."

Edited by chongli
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Technically, very incorrect.

The 2 point conversion.

Allowing coaches to challenge an officials call.

Utlitized a "salary cap".

All things the NFL later adopted and have GREATLY impacted the game.

Also the first professional usage of the "run and shoot" that was a harbinger of modern pro passing attacks.

The “salary Cap” is a major reason they folded since teams did not abide by the cap in an effort to sign players like Herschel Walker - who was paid 3x more than the Cap. 

The 2 point conversion was already part of college football - well before the USFL and was one of several college rules that the USFL adopted - similar to stopping the clock after the 2 minute warning with a first down.  Not a USFL innovation.

They did allow coaches to challenge calls - so yes - highly innovative.

They did allow the run and shoot to start, but again that was due to coaching - not really anything the league did.  It is not like the old AFL that changed the football size and texture to allow better passing or something.  The USFL did not put any emphasis on passing and really tried to highlight the RBs because they were so limited in talented QB play.

I would not call really any rules put in place as innovative.  Their goal was to as closely as possible merge NFL and college rules.

I stand by my statement - it really was not very innovative as a league, but it did allow some coaches from college, NFL, and Canada to get a head coaching job and try some things they were running other places.

• Like (+1) 1

I loved the original USFL. Was it on par with the NFL? No, but it did feature the fun of "Bandit Ball" and Steve Spurrier down in Tampa Bay, a pretty solid Philadelphia Stars team, and Bobby Hebert (among others like Sam Mills, Ray Bentley, Kent Hull, etc.) the chance to learn and grow into a pretty good NFL QB - an opportunity that I doubt he'd have had without the upstart league. 

I think a feeder concept, like NFL Europe was, would benefit the NFL. How many players get drafted into a system that doesn't really fit their talents? How many get drafted only to find that GM/Coach fired soon after and a new regime installed that wants to clean house? How many simply need coaching and playing time to become viable players with a chance to make an NFL? How many would love the chance to get paid to play football while trying to chase their dream?

America has an insatiable appetite for football. If put together well, with innovations tried out in this league and quality teaching and coaching employed with a tie to the NFL, I think it can work. I'll be watching ... hope they bring the Oakland Invaders back. Sweet uniforms!

Edited by RosieLeaks48
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Man i dunno why its so hard to get behind this!  zzzzzzzzits spring football.  Not trying to cut into NFL time.  Alot of us watch college, it s going to be alot of guys were familiar with.  Ill tune in and support any supplementary football i can get

• Like (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

The “salary Cap” is a major reason they folded since teams did not abide by the cap in an effort to sign players like Herschel Walker - who was paid 3x more than the Cap. 

Has nothing to do with it not being "innovative".   And being the first pro league to do something qualifies as innovative.

The salary cap was something new to pro football that would later become the modern way to keep and actually expand parity in pro football as the players inevitably gained more freedom of movement (the USFL also hastened free agency in the NFL and greatly increased player salaries which brought more talented athletes to the sport).

All those things elevated the popularity of the sport (and without a salary cap Buffalo doesn't even have a team).    

The AFL was innovative as well........but in the grand scheme I'd suggest the financial aspects driven by the USFL are bigger than changing the texture of the football. :rolleyes:    

• Like (+1) 1