The USFL is back in 2022

Uh oh!! The NFL had better be scared! 😅

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/usfl-set-to-return-in-spring-2022-after-being-shut-down-in-mid-1980s-original-team-names-will-remain/

"USFL set to return in spring 2022 after being shut down in mid-1980s, original team names will remain

The league folded back in 1986 after a three-year run"

Excerpt:

"The United States Football League was the most popular spring league in football, emerging as a viable competitor to the NFL in the early to mid-1980s. Nearly 40 years later, the USFL is planning to make a major comeback. 

The USFL announced its re-emergence Thursday with a return in the spring of 2022. The league plans a minimum of eight teams for its first season and will retain rights to key original team names -- like the New Jersey Generals, Philadelphia/Baltimore Stars. Memphis Showboats and Los Angeles Express. 

[...]

More information on the USFL, including cities, teams, head coaches, and game schedules, will be announced at a later date. Fox Sports will serve as the broadcast partner for the league. "

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just another waste of time league that will fold in short order.

USFL was never innovative- it was previously well funded to get stars.  This will be another league of alsorans.

Basically Fox needs something to cover in the spring without Baseball.

Also didn't THE ROCK buy the XFL and he is trying to get that league started again. To me its a waste of time. There are two football leagues that matter and that's the NFL and CFB. Nothing else will work.

P.S. Nobody cares about the CFL. Any league that has a 55 yard line is to be laughed at and not taken seriously. Also that is Canada not America. 

• Haha (+1) 1

It’s only chance of survival is if it turns into a feeder league for the NFL, otherwise it will need very deep pockets for at minimum a decade, to establish itself as a separate football entity, that I don’t see happening, but hey, more power to them, if the pockets are deep enough, they could get some better level talent to sign with them..., maybe...,

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Clyde Smith said:

Keep Trump very far away from this league.

He is know for his stream of bankruptcies, also appears he has an issue with paying for service he contracts for, so... why not do it all again, 😂

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Just another waste of time league that will fold in short order.

USFL was never innovative- it was previously well funded to get stars.  This will be another league of alsorans.

Basically Fox needs something to cover in the spring without Baseball.

USFL had some fun rules like the action point. But spring football has always been that good on paper idea that has not worked since the 1980's when the USFL had some traction with it but never got to where it was viable long term. The new XFL I thought was going to maybe get off the ground but the pandemic derailed any chance of success it had.

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/31559189/usfl-relaunching-spring-2022-least-eight-teams

"The USFL's return could result in two pro leagues playing football in the spring. The XFL has been targeting a 2022 resumption of play after owners Dany Garcia, Dwayne Johnson and RedBird Capital Partners purchased the league out of bankruptcy in 2020. Planning for the XFL's 2022 season has been on pause since March, when it entered into negotiations regarding a collaboration with the Canadian Football League."

Ought to be quite an interesting spring.

5 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

USFL had some fun rules like the action point. But spring football has always been that good on paper idea that has not worked since the 1980's when the USFL had some traction with it but never got to where it was viable long term. The new XFL I thought was going to maybe get off the ground but the pandemic derailed any chance of success it had.

I actually had fun as a kid in the 80's following the USFL. Not happy that Joe Cribbs left Buffalo for them and Jim Kelly went there instead of to Buffalo, but I was glad for their success. My Social Studies teacher at the time flipped a lid when Steve Young signed a $40 million contract the LA Express, the highest at that time. But can you blame him for not going to the Bengals, lol?

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/flashback-steve-youngs-43-year-40-million-usfl-contract/

"The billionaire owner of the USFL's LA Express, J. William Oldenberg, lured Young to the new league by basically offering him a four-year, $40 million contract that would be payable over 43 years.

Young's other choice was to go No. 1 overall in the 1984 NFL Draft to the Cincinnati Bengals, but the Bengals were only offering him $3.5 million, according to a Sports Illustrated article from March 1984. The $3.5 million wasn't even guaranteed -- Young would get a $1 million signing bonus and a five-year nonguaranteed contract at $500,000 per year."

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I was enjoying the XFL honestly.  It was far more entertaining than that AAF league.  Rule changes were mostly kinda neat.  At the end of the day though 2 leagues is going to end up being 0 leagues unless one does compensation more effectively.  

• Like (+1) 2