Anyone see the Scheifele on Evans hit in the Jets - Canadiens game. Brutal hit.

Greg S

9 minutes ago, Beerball said:

you simply must argue, mustn't you?  There was nothing "cute" about that play.

Yeah there was.  You're once again wrong.  Confusing the hit with being cute.   Both were hustling to get the puck.  Evans got the puck, due to his superior hustle, that ain't the cute part.  The cute part was he jammed it in right in the middle of the hammer lane.  He got smeared because a semi doing 70 can't stop the split sec the goal light is lit.  

2 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Who exactly was he deking all alone back there??

I would agree the intent is debatable. It’s two guys making separate hustle plays. One was legit and the other was charging. 

The whole Jets backcheck.  I guess he misjudged.  But he scored!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

12 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I don't go rollerblading in the middle of the road either and then complain when I get hit by a car.  He wrapped around,  that's like playing in the middle of the road.  Evans took the upper hand in the scoring chance,  but not the hit. 

Clean, heavy hit is the result.  Should Scheifele just quit on the play?  Give up? He can't stop on the dime. 

This is like two jousting on horseback, Scheifele stayed mounted on his horse.  Evans scored, but almost got killed doing it. 

He wasn't making a play on the puck, so he actually already quit on the play.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah there was.  You're once again wrong.  Confusing the hit with being cute.   Both were hustling to get the puck.  Evans got the puck, due to his superior hustle, that ain't the cute part.  The cute part was he jammed it in right in the middle of the hammer lane.  He got smeared because a semi doing 70 can't stop the split sec the goal light is lit.  

The whole Jets backcheck.  I guess he misjudged.  But he scored!

Blame the victim. Where have I seen this before?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

I have been hearing the same BS about the injured player deserved it my whole hockey life (50+ years and I played physical myself). It has been trending downward for years now. Thankfully, it is coming to and end soon as the dinosaurs die off. The logic is so twisted, it reminds me off blaming a defenseless receiver in football for the blind side cheap shot to the head.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah it was.  A wrap-around is a dangle. He got cute and ran into a Mack truck playing in the middle of the road.

By definition it is a dangle:

Dangle: when a player is a deke (or decoy) by making moves to fake out the goalie or opposing player; also used to describe the act of stick-handling.

Definitely a wrap-around is a fake or a deke. 

What planet you on?

deke
/dēk/
Learn to pronounce
ICE HOCKEY
noun
a deceptive movement or feint that induces an opponent to move out of position.
verb
draw (a player) out of position by performing a deke.
"four minutes into the third period, Hull scored his 70th goal of the season, deking a Flyer defenseman to the ice"

Lmao

Hustling to beat out a possible icing call, retrieving a puck from behind the opposing net, and then scoring on a wrap around shot is now considered “cute” and deserving of a cheap shot hit? Unbelievable.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Hustling to beat out a possible icing call, retrieving a puck from behind the opposing net, and then scoring on a wrap around shot is now considered “cute” and deserving of a cheap shot hit? Unbelievable.

Yup. Yeah, because of lack of situational awareness the player will get creamed.  Go behind the net, touch up and think twice.  You're asking the other player to stop on a dime the sec the goal light is lit.  25mph to 0 in a sec.

Look..  I respect the hustle,  but not wanton reckless abandonment... He misjudged,  sure he got the goal.  Still misjudged how fast the other player was going to the body which had the puck a second before.

Some times you win and come out unscathed,  some times you win and get creamed.   Suck it up buttercup...

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah it was.  A wrap-around is a dangle. He got cute and ran into a Mack truck playing in the middle of the road.

By definition it is a dangle:

Dangle: when a player is a deke (or decoy) by making moves to fake out the goalie or opposing player; also used to describe the act of stick-handling.

Definitely a wrap-around is a fake or a deke. 

What planet you on?

deke
/dēk/
Learn to pronounce
ICE HOCKEY
noun
a deceptive movement or feint that induces an opponent to move out of position.
verb
draw (a player) out of position by performing a deke.
"four minutes into the third period, Hull scored his 70th goal of the season, deking a Flyer defenseman to the ice"

Please tell me what goalie or player Evans was trying to fake out? The goalie wasn’t in the game and Scheifele hadn’t arrived yet when Evans shot the puck. So that ridiculous definition doesn’t come close to applying in this case. 

Just now, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yup. Yeah, because of lack of situational awareness the player will get creamed.  Go behind the net, touch up and think twice.  You're asking the other player to stop on a dime the sec the goal light is lit.  25mph to 0 in a sec.

Look..  I respect the hustle,  but not wanton reckless abandonment... He misjudged,  sure he got the goal.  Still misjudged how fast the other player was going to the body which had the puck a second before.

Some times you win and come out unscathed,  some times you win and get creamed.   Suck it up buttercup...

You’ve reached the point of self embarrassment on this topic. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Please tell me what goalie or player Evans was trying to fake out? The goalie wasn’t in the game and Scheifele hadn’t arrived yet when Evans shot the puck. So that ridiculous definition doesn’t come close to applying in this case. 

The whole team.  Beat them to the net.   Which he did... By only a second.  Still judgemental error. Players are going 25mph...

The game doesn't stop the second the goal light is lit. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The whole team.  Beat them to the net.   Which he did... By only a second.  Still judgemental error. Players are going 25mph...

So now simply beating an opposing player(s) to the puck is considered a dangle or a deke? Time to open the locks and let some fresh water in. 

Edited by K-9

On 6/4/2021 at 11:17 AM, K-9 said:

So now simply beating an opposing player(s) to the puck is considered a dangle or a deke? Time to open the locks and let some fresh water in. 

Spin.  He beat him to the puck THEN made a dangle move.

Since when is checking, crushing your opponent illegal?  I'd even go so far that he knew the collision was gonna happen and he let up on him.  He never left his feet, he didn't hit in the head.  He REALLY could have tuned him up.  Of course THAT would be illegal.

I live in reality.  Going 25 mph, the play just doesn't end the second  the goal light is lit. Safer for Scheifele to just follow through, unfortunately Evans was playing in the middle of the road.

He could have grabbed the puck and played it behind the net, thought twice of dangling out into the hammer lane!

Think twice next time and use better judgement... Or just suck it up... WHICH judging from the last game, the Habs have.

2 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Since when is checking, crushing your opponent illegal?  I'd even go so far that he knew the collision was gonna happen and he let up on him.  He never left his feet, he didn't hit in the head.  He REALLY could have tuned him up.  Of course THAT would be illegal.

I live in reality.  Going 25 mph, the play just doesn't end the second  the goal light is lit. Safer for Scheifele to just follow through, unfortunately Evans was playing in the middle of the road.

He could have grabbed the puck and played it behind the net, thought twice of dangling out into the hammer lane!

Think twice next time and use better judgement... Or just suck it up... WHICH judging from the last game, the Habs have.

Since the NHL made charging illegal, which is as long as I've been aware of hockey. Plus, the league has put the onus of an illegal hit on the offending player; he needs to be aware of his actions and the potential consequences. Scheifele could have avoided the hit simply by either making a play on the puck (which is why the discipline committee didn't buy his explanation at all, btw) or by skating to avoid Evans. Hockey players turn on the dime while skating fast as a routine matter. Either way, Scheifele could have avoided the hit. The onus was never on Evans as you seem to keep insisting upon. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/3/2021 at 8:03 PM, billsfanmiamioh said:

4 game suspension. Guess the league felt it was dirty too. 

The league is just blowing in the wind with respect to discipline.  They would have ruled that a clean hit had they not just taken so much crap for the decision to give Tom Wilson yet another stern email.

On 6/5/2021 at 5:32 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Perhaps you should watch it again.

3 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

I've watched it from every angle there is, he was trying to let up you can see the snow coming off his skate blades.

I saw the snow coming off his blades .... as he launched himself into a defenseless player.

I get it. It happens fast.  But you gotta call it like you see it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.