Anyone see the Scheifele on Evans hit in the Jets - Canadiens game. Brutal hit.

Greg S

6 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I thought the intent was to stop the game-sealing goal. I don't know anything about Scheifele - does he have a rep as a dirty player?

He seems like kind of an ass but he only averages like 20 PiMs a year so I doubt if he has much of a rep as a dirtbag.

I don't understand how it could be argued a clean hit, it was high, and he left his feet. The intent was to clean his clock and that hit has been outlawed. If intent was to save goal he dives to block shot, the hit was a message. Old school fans might have liked it but league has been getting rid of that for years.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I don't understand how it could be argued a clean hit, it was high, and he left his feet. The intent was to clean his clock and that hit has been outlawed. If intent was to save goal he dives to block shot, the hit was a message. Old school fans might have liked it but league has been getting rid of that for years.

If he tries to dive at that speed he's going to break his neck on the dasher. A diving play was not an option.

16 minutes ago, Simon said:

If he tries to dive at that speed he's going to break his neck on the dasher. A diving play was not an option.

You would slow down / stop and try and get down. When you’re trying to stop an EN goal, you’re playing goalie without pads. In about 34 years of playing hockey I can’t ever remember trying to prevent an empty netter by throwing a body check at the guy trying to score. 

1 minute ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

You would slow down / stop and try and get down. When you’re trying to stop an EN goal, you’re playing goalie without pads. In about 34 years of playing hockey I can’t ever remember trying to prevent an empty netter by throwing a body check at the guy trying to score. 

If he slows down he's not going to get there and he knows it; the timing on the whole play couldn't possibly have been any worse.

I don't think it was dirty because he checked him at high speed. But I do think following through with that chicken wing ended up making it dirty.

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

The result is the point... lol

Players headhunt for a specific type of result and we just witnessed it. Whether they're successful or not is irrelevant.

I don't go rollerblading in the middle of the road either and then complain when I get hit by a car.  He wrapped around,  that's like playing in the middle of the road.  Evans took the upper hand in the scoring chance,  but not the hit. 

Clean, heavy hit is the result.  Should Scheifele just quit on the play?  Give up? He can't stop on the dime. 

This is like two jousting on horseback, Scheifele stayed mounted on his horse.  Evans scored, but almost got killed doing it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

I thought the intent was to stop the game-sealing goal. I don't know anything about Scheifele - does he have a rep as a dirty player?

Don't know anything about him but stopping the goal clearly was not on his mind at all. If it was he would have stuck his stick out and tried to make a play at the puck. Launching your body at someone and knocking them out after the puck is in the net is not how you stop a goal. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

The result is the point... lol

Players headhunt for a specific type of result and we just witnessed it. Whether they're successful or not is irrelevant.

It wasn’t headhunting, it was a heavy check. Evans leaned down at the last second which made it worse for him. If he wasn’t leaning and gets up from the check, the refs would have called it different.

2 hours ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

Most times players are skating towards the empty net. In this case he was coming from behind and the check was to try to prevent the wraparound.

Edited by PastaJoe

2 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

He didn’t leave his feet, both of their feet went up after the check. And it only looked high because Evans leaned down at the last second when it was too late to stop. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

He didn’t leave his feet, both of their feet went up after the check. And it only looked high because Evans leaned down at the last second when it was too late to stop. 

Yeah.  What's he gonna do?  Brace for impact is all he can do.  Scheifele did a better job.  Again, like two in jousting match. Don't play in the middle of the road, you won't get hit by a car. Scheifele has just as much right to be there... What's he supposed to do? Turtle up? That's when a player gets hurt. Evans was going for the net, Scheifele, going for, the player with the puck. 

***** happens.  If You're the puck carrier, brace for impact or don't dangle.  

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

Bryce Davidson

@MuskokaCoach18

Replying to

@kfraserthecall

Honest question- how come when Tkachuk lit up Kassian twice coming around the net a yr ago the league said the onus was on Kassian to be aware not Tkachuk? What makes this different?

Alex, what is Evans is a Montreal Canadien player in the playoffs and the League sux?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

This was neither a “joust” nor a “dangle”. 

I love the Don Cherry Rock-Em Sock-em 80’s/90’s style as much as any other old-school fan but that isn’t what the league is anymore. The onus has been on the defender/hitter for a long time now and it’s his responsibility to keep it clean. 

“Shoulda had his head up” is no longer a valid excuse.

One point I can agree with in here is the inconsistency of the NHL with how they enforce/punish such plays. I think they got this one correct.

It was reckless and one of the most egregious charging violations I can remember.

With that said, I don't believe it was premeditated, malicious, or done in frustration.  He didn't skate the whole way planning to knock evans' head off his shoulders.

Watching the play at full speed, I feel schiefiele was racing down to get the puck, prevent a goal, gain possession in a 1 goal playoff game that entered the final minute.  Late in the play he had realized he was late and in a split second reflec/decision, went for the body to try to head off the potential goal, not really taking into account his speed or how violent the head on collision would be

Edited by May Day 10
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

This was neither a “joust” nor a “dangle”. 

I love the Don Cherry Rock-Em Sock-em 80’s/90’s style as much as any other old-school fan but that isn’t what the league is anymore. The onus has been on the defender/hitter for a long time now and it’s his responsibility to keep it clean. 

“Shoulda had his head up” is no longer a valid excuse.

One point I can agree with in here is the inconsistency of the NHL with how they enforce/punish such plays. I think they got this one correct.

Yeah it was.  A wrap-around is a dangle. He got cute and ran into a Mack truck playing in the middle of the road.

By definition it is a dangle:

Dangle: when a player is a deke (or decoy) by making moves to fake out the goalie or opposing player; also used to describe the act of stick-handling.

Definitely a wrap-around is a fake or a deke. 

What planet you on?

deke
/dēk/
Learn to pronounce
ICE HOCKEY
noun
a deceptive movement or feint that induces an opponent to move out of position.
verb
draw (a player) out of position by performing a deke.
"four minutes into the third period, Hull scored his 70th goal of the season, deking a Flyer defenseman to the ice"

14 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah it was.  A wrap-around is a dangle. He got cute and ran into a Mack truck playing in the middle of the road.

By definition it is a dangle:

Dangle: when a player is a deke (or decoy) by making moves to fake out the goalie or opposing player; also used to describe the act of stick-handling.

Definitely a wrap-around is a fake or a deke. 

What planet you on?

deke
/dēk/
Learn to pronounce
ICE HOCKEY
noun
a deceptive movement or feint that induces an opponent to move out of position.
verb
draw (a player) out of position by performing a deke.
"four minutes into the third period, Hull scored his 70th goal of the season, deking a Flyer defenseman to the ice"

you simply must argue, mustn't you?  There was nothing "cute" about that play.

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.