Anyone see the Scheifele on Evans hit in the Jets - Canadiens game. Brutal hit.

Greg S

11 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I guess where I was coming from is I didn't consider it a deliberate attempt to injure.

4 hours ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

It’s the rule book definition of charging. To the letter.

I am, admittedly, not a hockey fan/watcher.  But the guy who did the hitting launched himself to the point of both feet leaving the ice.

Is that what made it illegal?

And to me, that absolutely tells me it was a deliberate attempt to injure.

17 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I am, admittedly, not a hockey fan/watcher.  But the guy who did the hitting launched himself to the point of both feet leaving the ice.

Is that what made it illegal?

And to me, that absolutely tells me it was a deliberate attempt to injure.

What makes it illegal and deliberate is skating full speed 3/4 the length of the ice to hit someone without slowing down.

I believe anything more than two strides before a check is kinda the rule of thumb.

It was a scumbag play, and that’s not even taking into consideration that he went high on the hit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

What makes it illegal and deliberate is skating full speed 3/4 the length of the ice to hit someone without slowing down.

I believe anything more than two strides before a check is kinda the rule of thumb.

It was a scumbag play, and that’s not even taking into consideration that he went high on the hit.

With all of the pads/gear, Evans' body weight must be up there.  He practically did an entire flip because of the force of the hit.  I don't know how anyone could applaud something like that.

Good hit, didn’t stride but glided from the top of the slot, led with shoulder, didn’t leave his feet until after impact caused both players to, and Evans leaned down at last second too late for Scheifele to stop. But he’ll be judged on the result.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

Good hit, didn’t stride but glided from the top of the slot, led with shoulder, didn’t leave his feet until after impact caused both players to, and Evans leaned down at last second too late for Scheifele to stop. But he’ll be judged on the result.

“Glided” with a full head of steam from sprinting before opposite blue line to the slot.

This is the kind of play the NHL wants out of the game, especially with the relative recent emphasis on concussions. But then they’ll contradict the whole narrative by still allowing fighting. So...

I wish they would go to European size ice. Open it up and watch headshots and fighting naturally work their way out of the sport. These guys are faster and stronger than they were even 20 years ago, give them more room to work with.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Gliding, as in didn’t take strides to run him for the last 12 feet. I’ve coached and play, when you are going full speed to backcheck you can’t stop on a dime. And owners will never give up the expensive seats by the ice to make room for Olympic size ice.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PastaJoe said:

Gliding, as in didn’t take strides to run him for the last 12 feet. I’ve coached and play, when you are going full speed to backcheck you can’t stop on a dime. And owners will never give up the expensive seats by the ice to make room for Olympic size ice.

I’ve played since I was 4 and say it’s a dirty play. The fact that he “let up” for a couple strides at the end doesn’t change the fact that he came across the whole ice to head hunt him. Certainly could have done a lot different if he was really trying to stop the potential goal.

It’s one of those plays that you can expect to get payback for. And let’s not forget, a penalty was called and he was ejected from the game. 

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, billsfanmiamioh said:

I’ve played since I was 4 and say it’s a dirty play. The fact that he “let up” for a couple strides at the end doesn’t change the fact that he came across the whole ice to head hunt him. Certainly could have done a lot different if he was really trying to stop the potential goal.

It’s one of those plays that you can expect to get payback for. And let’s not forget, a penalty was called and he was ejected from the game. 

The refs reacted to the result. If he got up ok they maybe would call two minutes if anything. I agree with the Jets coach who said it was a heavy hit, but his feet were on the ice and his arms were tucked in.

3 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

The refs reacted to the result. If he got up ok they maybe would call two minutes if anything. I agree with the Jets coach who said it was a heavy hit, but his feet were on the ice and his arms were tucked in.

The result is the point... lol

Players headhunt for a specific type of result and we just witnessed it. Whether they're successful or not is irrelevant.

5 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I guess where I was coming from is I didn't consider it a deliberate attempt to injure.

What the heck did you watch? That hit, in that situation, was clearly done with the intention of knocking him the **** out. 

I happened to be watching it live and had a tough time deciding if it was really dirty or not. There's some additional context here that nobody is mentioning and that is that the reason Scheifele was driving that hard was because it was the only way he was going to get there in time to prevent the goal that ended the game. I'm not sure I'm convinced he was headhunting, he was just trying to get back as fast as he possibly could to get to Evans before he tucked in the deciding goal.

The only thing I thought was dirty about it was that he got that chicken wing up there and followed through with it. If he had kept that arm tucked in it would have just been him digging hard to get back and catching Evans in a vulnerable position while he was trying to save the game.

2 minutes ago, Simon said:

I happened to be watching it live and had a tough time deciding if it was really dirty or not. There's some additional context here that nobody is mentioning and that is that the reason Scheifele was driving that hard was because it was the only way he was going to get there in time to prevent the goal that ended the game. I'm not sure I'm convinced he was headhunting, he was just trying to get back as fast as he possibly could to get to Evans before he tucked in the deciding goal.

The only thing I thought was dirty about it was that he got that chicken wing up there and followed through with it. If he had kept that arm tucked in it would have just been him digging hard to get back and catching Evans in a vulnerable position while he was trying to save the game.

If he was only trying to stop the goal he poke checks or dives to block the net. He was trying to wreck him. 

Just now, billsfanmiamioh said:

If he was only trying to stop the goal he poke checks or dives to block the net. He was trying to wreck him. 

He's not going to dive into the endboards at that speed but a poke check might have been possible. But if he misses the poke, it's game over.

He was definitely looking to bury him but I thought it was more to prevent the goal than an intent to injure.

Although seeing the replay now and watching that arm follow through high makes it look a lot dirtier than it did in real time.

18 minutes ago, Process said:

What the heck did you watch? That hit, in that situation, was clearly done with the intention of knocking him the **** out. 

I thought the intent was to stop the game-sealing goal. I don't know anything about Scheifele - does he have a rep as a dirty player?

There is really little doubt that it was a penalty, and likely suspension. As a former hockey player, this was a penalty even back in the day. You don't get to build up a head of steam for 180' and launch into the man. Not even a discussion and the league will suspend him (hearing scheduled).

Also, hard to make the argument he was trying to prevent a goal, never even looked at where puck was and deflecting it was the only chance he had to prevent a goal. I think he was pissed and lost it for a moment. He looked as surprised and guilty  as anyone after the play.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I thought the intent was to stop the game-sealing goal. I don't know anything about Scheifele - does he have a rep as a dirty player?

The intent is going to matter all that much.  When you trip or hook a guy on a breakaway, your intent is to prevent a goal, but it's still a penalty.  This one is going to draw a suspension.  Every video they release about a suspension always starts out with exactly what rule was broken and how it was broken, then followed up with the so called damage report.  This one checks every box on that list.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.