What was the most impressive drive of the 2020 Season?

5 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

I thought the drive to take the lead and "win" the game against Arizona. That was franchise QB s***.

Yep. Really too bad it got completely lost in a fluke play. Curse you, Mario Addison.

3 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Drawing a complete blank but sometime in the middle of the season I remember my friends and I all saying "that might have been the best called drive in bills history" but can't remember what game it was. 

This sounds like me a decade ago....I was so dazed and confused by the ineptitude of the Bills back then that I couldn't remember anything of the Bills games.....alkillhall "might" have been a contributing factor too.

I will go with that drive at the beginning of the 3rd quarter of the Ravens game.  My cuz is a HUGE Ravens fan and he texted me after that and said game over......he NEVER gives in until the final whistle.....

The drives that are most impressive to me are not the ones where someone makes a great play but the ones that seems like there is no chance that it could be stopped.

There were a bunch of drives like that during the 49er game.  That was the game where a 49er defense said they knew what plays the Bills were doing but just had no idea how to stop them.

To choose one, the 3rd TD drive was 11 plays, only one third down right at the beginning of the drive.  Even when they had a 2nd and 18, it felt like it was just a formality until they got the TD. 

• Like (+1) 2

Will add that the drive out of half time against the Steelers was very good and made that game feel out of reach.  

Overall, my favorites would be aforementioned Colts and Ravens.  For colts it was impressive that we could be outplayed for the first half and we would have the lead.  For Ravens, it was just a feel of inevitability.  We had seen Josh and the offense roll coming out half times in the prior games (remember our 3rd quarter woes), and it felt like they wouldnt be stopped.

My real pick would be the Colts drive people have mentioned--that was just a "you can't script it" moment that absolutely changed the momentum of a playoff game. 

My second pick and I'm surprised no one mentioned it since it's the flip of the Arizona game--our guys get the win after the opposing team took the lead on a dramatic drive that usually would win the game. Although there was 4:30 or so left (just checked: exactly 4:30). I'm talking about the Rams game.

One of the announcers: "For the Bills this is not the time you panic, this is the time you win"

Start at own 25 with 4:30 left 4th qtr:

- (4:30) 1st & 10: Crisp pass up the center to Cole Beasley to own 43

- (3:51) 1st & 10: Allen spins out of the rush, looks like he might have gotten away and that's initial call, but he clearly was down and on challenge, it's a sack and big loss to own 31.

- (3:44) 2nd & 22: Another messy play. Allen is running for his life, almost sacked twice, goes for a sideline pass where Gabriel Davis and Cole Beasley crash into each other and neither comes down with it. 

- (3:21) 3rd & 22: Needed 22, Allen to Beasley gets 23. What a big-time play and exactly why Beasley may have even been underrated last year as he always seems to be in just the right place on these long plays where we desperately need him. We're at Rams 47.

- (2:31) 1st & 10: Low, slant pass to McKenzie behind line of scrimmage, he scrambles for 5. Dawkins hurt (but we're in future so we know it was ok). We're at the Rams 42. 

- Allen tries to get Rams to jump but takes it to 2-minute warning

- (2:00) 2nd & 5: Wow, a run. A gutsy scramble by Singletary for 8 to the right for a 1st down. At Rams 34.

- (1:37) 1st & 10: Neat pass right down the middle at about the first down marker to Beasley for a gain of 19 and Beas just keeps pushing. In the RZ at Rams 15.

- (1:04) 1st & 10: Ugly play. Allen scrambles and throws an iffy but not dangerous lateral(?)/forward pass(?) and it goes out of bounds. Oh well, time off the clock, on to next play.

- (0:49) 2nd & 10: Another ugly play. Allen is under attack, he manages to get out of a huge sack loss from about three Rams defenders and throws it out of the end zone. Unfortunately, he's called for a 15-yard face mask penalty. How often do you see that?!?!?! Do we let it get to us? We're all the way back to Rams 30.

- (0:36) 2nd & 25: Allen under crazy duress overthrows sideline pass to Singletary into double coverage. It's not looking good, this is going to be a painful loss.

- (0:31) 3rd & 25: Allen finally gets a relatively clean if small pocket and fires a perfect pass in the middle of the field to Diggs in double coverage for 17 yards. At Rams 14.

- (0:25) 4th & 8: We know this one. Allen overthrows Davis in the end zone, it's over and this one is gonna really hurt. But there's a late flag. Holding on Rams. Was it the right call. Was that interception earlier a bs call?* I'm chalking it up to karma, but sometimes you gotta be a bit lucky and Allen put us in the position to win. I'll take it. Fwiw, Mike Pereira calls it a good call. We're at the Rams 4.

- (0:21) 1st & 10: There it is. Line finally comes through. Allen backpedals and throws a high strike to a wide-open Tyler Kroft. TOUCHDOWN!

- (0:15) Kick is good!

There was surely some luck involved and it definitely wasn't pretty, but it's a lot of why this team will be dominant as long as Allen remains Allen (especially if he's not even at his peak yet). They calmly and collectedly took over 4 of the 4.5 minutes off the clock like a team that knew this wasn't desperation, like a team that knew they were going to get this TD and wanted to make sure they didn't give the Rams another bite of the apple. Allen was darting and diving and under attack the whole drive. There were two great plays at 3rd and 20-plus. Allen delivered a couple of head-scratchers but did not let it get him down. After blowing a 25-point lead in the second half, most teams would have been defeated, but the Bills got right back up and played like a championship team does. 

*Coda: The phantom interception still irks me and when analysts would say they won on a fluke blown call penalty, I would rage (i need to see someone about that ;)) that they should not have even been in this position if not for a call that made it seem like the refs wanted to make sure L.A. was in a game, but I saw something yesterday which mollifies me a bit. I was watching through the 2017 season in the background while working and in the first game there was a Poyer INT where the receiver caught it and had the ball at the end, but Poyer had got some control of the ball going down. So, at the very least, we had got the benefit of the same ridiculous call in the past. And it was the Jets driving in a position to change the momentum of the game. 

Edited by thurst44
  • Thank you (+1) 3

There were many impressive drives by the offense last year. This one against the Broncos stands out as well because of how the offense overcame penalties that kept pushing them back and nullified TD's. The lone Kumerow TD reception, on an absolute dime of a throw, drive. 

image.thumb.png.63c01046e66ddc7f366707d8daba559c.png

2 hours ago, transient said:

To your last point, that loss forged a killer instinct in this team. You could hear it in Josh’s presser after the game lamenting the blown chances and putting the loss on his shoulders realizing they should have never been in that situation. They started putting teams away going away after that. They may not have gotten to 13-3 and been so dominant without it. 

The cool thing about this thread, these are all in the same season. You’d have a hard time cobbling together that many Bills drives collectively from the 10 years prior to Allen’s arrival. The last time we had that many clutch, team defining drives in one season Kelly was under center. 

Couldnt have been written better and thanks transient or maybe I’ll just call you nomad.  Anyway, I felt we had life in our defense against the Seahawks.  They pulled it together after two tough losses against the 2019 AFCCG opponents in KC and TN.  Seattle looked unstoppable at that point until we schalacked them.  The Cards were a big test when we were on the upside.  When we lost to them in that fluke play, it looked like the hawks was smelling blood in the water, whereas the Cards loss was a we are going to devour people amd we don’t care who is in our way.

For young people, this is what it felt like in the late 80’s to the 90’s.  No matter how down we were, those of us at the right age just thought, Jimbo, Thurm, Andre, Lofton will get it back.  No matter what!  It was a great feeling as you didn’t feel invincible, but you did feel you could beat anyone and we did.  We beat the great 49ers back then, the Giants not in the SB, and so on.  I know I had my early 20’s arrogance of saying screw you to any opponent fan when they would boast of their team.

So for me, I can’t wait for the Chiefs, Pats, Fish, Bucs, Saints, TN, Colts, and most importantly I can’t wait to stomp on the Steelers in week 1.

BRING IT because we will!

🏈🏋️♀️

6 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

The Colts playoff game before halftime with Davis dragging his toes twice on the sideline.  A 96 yard drive after a defensive stand at the goal line that concluded with a Josh Allen (you can never do this if your life depended on it Phillip Rivers) rushing TD.  I don't even think the celestial Patrick Mahomes could've pulled that off.

Absolutely.  Hands down.  That drive was amazing starting from our own 4 yard line.  And in a tight playoff game to boot..   Josh was perfect on that drive.  Its the stuff that legends are made from.  And big time kudos to Gabriel Davis for making those two tip toe catches on the sidelines.  (both clearly in bounds)  Only thing better would have been if it was at the end of the game to win it!!  

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Lake Ontario said:

1. "Gabe Davis" drive versus Colts

2. 6 minutes run out the clock vs. Steelers

3. Taron Johnson "drive" vs. Ravens!

Love choice 3 there going in a different direction, re-defining "drive." 

8 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

I thought the drive to take the lead and "win" the game against Arizona. That was franchise QB s***.

Beat me to it. Seemed like a "defining" TD drive at the time to show the league that the Bills meant business. Even when it turned into a slug fest, Allen/Diggs delivered in crunch time. Then Hail Murray. I haven't had my heart jump and that feeling of disbelief, watching the replay over & over hoping that it somehow changes since the Stevie drop/Dallas Monday nighter 2009. 

People can say what they want about it motivating the Bills down the stretch, but I'll always feel like the Cards have one up us bc of that. I'd gladly trade 2 losses to have that win back. Oh well..

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles

11 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

For me it was actually week 17 against Miami but not in the way you think. Its just before half time and the Bills look to put Miami away at half time. For me this drive is one Brady pulled off against us for years that separated the good from the great. When the drive was over I looked around and said "That drive was very Tom Brady like".

Minute 45 seconds left before the half. My gut told me we were going to run the clock. I just wish our coaching was this aggressive at the AFC Conf. game. Also keep in mind this was against a Miami defense that many considered to be top 5-6 Defese.

Cue the tape.. 4:50

Here Is another drive that was against LA. Come from behind victory. HUGE third down throws.. Baldy does a wonderful breakdown on this drive.

So what was your favorite drive of the 2020 season? one of these? A different one? looking forward in reading through comments

I would've definitely said the LA Rams drive, but that penalty at the end just makes me feel really guilty for some reason. I know technically it WAS defensive holding, but it just seems too flukey to me. The funny thing is that's the type of thing that would of happened to the Bills during the drought. 

Question to Bills fan. I remember a game where the Buffalo either caught the

game winning TD in the last moments of the game, but it was ruled an incompletion. It was one of the worst calls ever, but for the life of me I cannot remember who caught it or who it was against. Does this sound familiar to anyone? 

Edit: it was the last moment of the 1st half actually and was against the Patriots (how could I forget?) 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles

Not that it mattered in the grand scheme of things, but the final TD drive against the Pats which gave Allen the Bills single season TD record. At that point we were just toying with them. We didn't need to score, they just decided to give Allen the record and we went out and did it. It ended with what was in my opinion Allen's best throw of the season, the impossible TD to Diggs while rolling left without setting his feet.

• Thank you (+1) 1