Sabres win NHL draft lottery

DJB

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The only real downside is the new NHL rule that a team can't pick #1 overall more than twice in a 5 year period.    So even if they finish dead last again the next 4 seasons they can only qualify for #1 overall one more time.  :doh: 

NHL is such a bizarre bush league.  😆  That will teach a team for being bad.  Stay bad!

Nothing harkens back to the day when The Habs had exclusive rights to players coming out of Quebec.  It's always been a league where the rich get richer and the poor have step out of the gutter with one skate holding them down.  You don't wanna legitimately turn bad in this league, because there you'll stay, for good.

Look what Edmonton has done with all their #1s.  Nothing.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The only real downside is the new NHL rule that a team can't pick #1 overall more than twice in a 5 year period.    So even if they finish dead last again the next 4 seasons they can only qualify for #1 overall one more time.  :doh: 

That doesn't start until next year I think.  

The good news is the Sabres can pick first 2 more times before it resets in 4 years and they can pick 1st again.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

How is Eichel at fault.

I get a pair for 10 games in the 1st row on the goal line where the Sabres shoot twice. The only thing between me and the ice is glass.

Eichel is phenomenal to watch, but his on ice head shaking, face making when things don't click with teammates is not what a team leader should exhibit.....and rarely caught by tv cameras.

I'm surmising, but bet it doesn't go over well with those on the ice with him and carries over on the bench and in the locker room.

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Like (+1) 5

14 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Doesn't start till 2022

On 6/2/2021 at 8:47 PM, I am the egg man said:

Just listened to Kevyn Adams national presser about winning the draft lottery on WGR.....

.....saying he was a yawn would be a compliment. This guy doesn't inspire.

Wonder if he got the GM job because he was the only one who applied?

GM's don't need to be exciting or inspiring. Coaches on the other hand...

On 6/2/2021 at 7:43 PM, Beast said:

The Sabres haven't got a high pick wrong yet.

Now, other decisions? That goes without saying.

Wrong sir! 

Sam Reinhart should have been Leon Draisaitl.   

He went with the next pick to Edmonton and could have been ours.  

That is beyond arguing, and a fairly large mistake, as it turns out...as good as Reinhart is.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Wrong sir! 

That is beyond arguing, and a fairly large mistake, as it turns out...as good as Reinhart is.

I’d give this complaint more credibility if you could point to all your posts pounding the table to draft Draisaitl at the time. Otherwise, it’s just another case of crystal clear 20/20 hindsight. There’s a lot of that in these parts though. 

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Wrong sir! 

Said nobody at the time, though you are right at present. Reinhart has been a good player.

On 6/3/2021 at 11:17 PM, I am the egg man said:

I get a pair for 10 games in the 1st row on the goal line where the Sabres shoot twice. The only thing between me and the ice is glass.

Eichel is phenomenal to watch, but his on ice head shaking, face making when things don't click with teammates is not what a team leader should exhibit.....and rarely caught by tv cameras.

I'm surmising, but bet it doesn't go over well with those on the ice with him and carries over on the bench and in the locker room.

I notice the same things when watching eichel live and agree with all of this.

15 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Wrong sir! 

I think the bigger debate then was whether to take Reinhart or Sam Bennett, turns out we got the right Sam.

On 6/4/2021 at 3:30 PM, K-9 said:

I’d give this complaint more credibility if you could point to all your posts pounding the table to draft Draisaitl at the time. Otherwise, it’s just another case of crystal clear 20/20 hindsight. There’s a lot of that in these parts though. 

I usually hate hypotheticals, but I bet things would look a hell of a lot different if Reinhart and Draisaitl switched placed back in 2014.  All too often people look at the final result and say the draft pick was a mistake.  This completely ignores the role played by the player development of each team.

59 minutes ago, shrader said:

I usually hate hypotheticals, but I bet things would look a hell of a lot different if Reinhart and Draisaitl switched placed back in 2014.  All too often people look at the final result and say the draft pick was a mistake.  This completely ignores the role played by the player development of each team.

Not so sure about that one. Edmonton has been as bad as Buffalo at developing players. They actually might be the only team worse than Buffalo... (before Ken Holland anyway). 

They went something like 10 years without having a contributing player drafted outside the 1st round of the draft. Iirc I think they hit on like 1 second round pick in that entire time or something ridiculous like that. 

Draisaitl would be Draisaitl no matter what team drafted him.

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Not so sure about that one. Edmonton has been as bad as Buffalo at developing players. They actually might be the only team worse than Buffalo... (before Ken Holland anyway). 

They went something like 10 years without having a contributing player drafted outside the 1st round of the draft. Iirc I think they hit on like 1 second round pick in that entire time or something ridiculous like that. 

Draisaitl would be Draisaitl no matter what team drafted him.

He gets to play second fiddle to one of the greatest player that ever lived.  I'm not saying he's a scrub in a different situation, but that certainly has a major impact on his career development.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.