DPOY - Tremaine Edmunds (?!?)

10 hours ago, Rk_Bills86 said:

For anyone that has a problem with Edmunds play - the issue isn't that he's an OLB playing MIKE - the issue is he's playing the ILB in a majority 4-2-5 def. Without a 3rd LB the majority of the time, he has added responsibility. Considering everything we ask of him, he does an above average job. Our D thrives on the ability to run an extra CB/S to cover routes and have the only 2 true LB on the field plug holes for the run. Essentially:

1) If you want to pass - by the time someone gets open our D-Line should have gotten to you - which didn't happen last year

2) if you want to run - we'll plug the holes and be gap sound - Which was an issue last year because we couldn't plug holes adding additional lanes for RBs to hit

I would imagine there would be very few LB in the league that would perform better with the tasks asked of Edmunds. 

That being said - considering out D and his usage, it would take an incredible leap in his production and usage to become DPOY and I would say it is incredibly unlikely. He just isn't asked to do the things needed to stat stack for DPOY. He's almost the LB equivalent of what Star is to us - Looks poor on paper, but does the dirty/selfless job that allows those around you to thrive. 

That’s an interesting analysis and I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I think what rankles many fans is that Edmunds was a 1st round draft pick the Bills traded up to get, and you kinda expect those guys to be impact playmakers, not “dirty/selfless” role players.

1 hour ago, Bill Murray said:

Lot of Edmunds hate on here.  For the people writing him off and saying we need to move on, to put things into context, Edmunds is 7 months *younger* than Boogie Basham our 2nd round pick this year.  He has his entire career ahead of him.  

And he has a 15M a year contract ahead of him too.....maybe we should sign him a HOPE that he improves?  

25 minutes ago, NewEra said:

And he has a 15M a year contract ahead of him too.....maybe we should sign him a HOPE that he improves?  

LOL.  signing him on "HOPE" is almost (but not quite) as dumb as judging him as a failure now instead of letting him play and see how it goes.  you are saying he wont be worth a new contract after the 2022 season without seeing the next two years on his rookie deal?  what did you think about Josh Allen entering last year?

The hate toward the kid is unjustified, and the hot takes that he is failure and his career is over should stop, thats all.

Edited by Bill Murray

Edmunds continues to get a pass because of his age and talent level. When we drafted him, I saw him as a perennial all-pro Lber because of his physical traits.  I haven't been impressed so far.  Hoping the light turns on for him sooner rather than later.  With his current play, I couldn't see giving him a massive extension.

19 minutes ago, Bill Murray said:

LOL.  signing him on "HOPE" is almost (but not quite) as dumb as judging him as a failure now instead of letting him play and see how it goes.  you are saying he wont be worth a new contract after the 2022 season without seeing the next two years on his rookie deal?  what did you think about Josh Allen entering last year?

The hate toward the kid is unjustified, and the hot takes that he is failure and his career is over should stop, thats all.

What are you talking about?  Please show me where I said that.  Classic example of TBD poster seeing red after reading something he didn’t like and changing the post he’s replying to in order be be even angrier.

i don’t hate the kid.  I own 2 jerseys.  I think he has great upside.  I don’t think he’s a MLB.  Based on his play so far, he’s not even worth 8M a year, let  alone 16M.  Sure, he CAN improve.  I HOPE he does.  I think the likelihood of him becoming a 16M player  by the time we have to pony up $ is unlikely......but it’s possible.  Maybe the light will turn on this year

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

55 minutes ago, NewEra said:

What are you talking about?  Please show me where I said that.  Classic example of TBD poster seeing red after reading something he didn’t like and changing the post he’s replying to in order be be even angrier.

i don’t hate the kid.  I own 2 jerseys.  I think he has great upside.  I don’t think he’s a MLB.  Based on his play so far, he’s not even worth 8M a year, let  alone 16M.  Sure, he CAN improve.  I HOPE he does.  I think the likelihood of him becoming a 16M player  by the time we have to pony up $ is unlikely......but it’s possible.  Maybe the light will turn on this year

OK, lets review the play by play:  

OP:  someone thinks TE is good and thinks he can win DPOTY 

TBD et all:  He sucks

me:  Hes young and has his career ahead of him still

you:  "he will command a big contract in 2 years...maybe we should sign him on HOPE /sarc"

me:  Thats ridiculous and not what i said , let him play and lest see what happens

you:  [outrage] youre just like all the other crazies on here [editor note - its the crazies that want to run him out of town 3/5th of the way through a rookie contract]

Edited by Bill Murray

Well, if that happens it will be even tougher on our resident debbie downers. It's already been a tough couple of years for them, and their list of complaints are getting ruthlessly gutted.

I don't know if they can handle losing yet another whipping boy to complain about.

2 hours ago, eball said:

That’s an interesting analysis and I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I think what rankles many fans is that Edmunds was a 1st round draft pick the Bills traded up to get, and you kinda expect those guys to be impact playmakers, not “dirty/selfless” role players.

I get that - I truly do - but ask yourself, how many 1st round picks never pan out period. How many of our First round picks prior to our current team front office were just.... useless. 

Useless and Virtually Useless:
Erik Flowers, John McCargo, Leodis McKelvin, Aaron Maybin

The best of this bunch if Leodis McKelvin who single handily lost us more games than I care to count.

Average to Above Average:
Nate Clements, Donte Whitner, Marcell Dareus, Shaw Lawson

Talented players that spent time on other teams and fizzled out. Character flaws and skill/ability limitations became more apparent when they wore different uniforms.

Above Average to Great:
IMO this is where Edmunds sits - more to the point, this is roughly where players, coaches, and football analyst consistently put him and I'm inclined to agree.

Pretty Dam Awesome:
Stephon Gilmore

I mean this was a great 1st pick, and we couldn't keep him (nor did he actually want to stay - and I don't blame him considering how the organization was at the time). At one point he was thought as a the #1 corner in the game for a few years..... but at no point has anyone said he's going to the HoF.

HoF - Slam Dunk Picks:

Zero

The hate he gets on these boards is absurd. I'll say it again, the short term memory of how poorly we drafted prior to the current administration coming in is staggering. Years upon Years of poor draft picks that either did not see credible playing time and/or were wasted picks seems to have been forgotten by many here. How many players did we draft that never saw a second contract or were traded to at least recoup some of the draft value. Look at how the team is viewed currently - a team with no glaring hole and simply in the need of star power at certain positions. More to the point, if I remember correctly, there are only 1 or 2 players on the team from before Mc/Beane (I want to say it's Hughs and the Long Snapper)? That says a lot about where we were before hand. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

TE is NO where near as bad as some think - but again now where near DPOY either......I will throw this out since one or two of the downers stated 2019 was a much better year for him.  He was what 20 years old?  What was different between 2019 and 2020?  A real 1 tech in front of him.  If and this is a HUGE if Star comes back and continues his lunch pail play I will venture TE will have a much better year.....DPOY?  Nope.  But much better if the Bills provide some 1 tech support.

Haters gonna hate.....it fuels them behind their keyboards.  I just hope that the haters eat crow and TE holds the Lombardi over his head in February......

Go Bills!

17 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

The takeaway is most Bills fans criminally undervalue Edmunds. He probably won’t win DPOY but he has DPOY talent and ability. 

but.  but.  but this is exactly why those of us are so down on him. 

precisely because he has the tools.  Look like Tarzan, play like Jane.

11 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

For about a 10 game stretch in 2019 maybe so, but in 2020 he was one of the worst players on the field.  Please go back and watch the games. You will be hard pressed to find 5 impact plays all year.  He had a really impressive stop on a 4th and goal against San Fran. That was his highlight play of 2020.  The worst was him almost tearing his groin and falling flat on his face as Cam Newton ran past him into the endzone.  In between was a high number of tackles 5+ yards downfiles, many missed open filed tackles, horrible angles to the ball and terrible blitzes up the middle.  He played better down the stretch presumably as his shoulder was healing but he was also positioned outside with Klein at MLB.  

I 100% agree he physically looks like a guy that can dominate but he has terrible instincts, is slow to diagnose run and pas splays, and just doesn't make plays.  Is that intelligence, is that football savvy, is that inexperience?  I don't know but I know what I see on film.  

If he plays like he did in late 2019 and the kids at DE play well the Bills defense has a chance to be top 5.  

We know you can not teach instincts , I hope as he matures as a player he learns to diagnose plays and make better decisions 

19 hours ago, Buffalo619 said:

Edmunds is too slow physically and mentally to be even considered for DPOY. Mr. Whitewash. 

We need to upgrade that position. 

It's ok if you're not an Edmunds fan, but calling him "slow" just shows you don't know anything.

He ran a 4.54 40 and plays extremely fast. The problem is reading coverage and physicality.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, maddenboy said:

but.  but.  but this is exactly why those of us are so down on him. 

precisely because he has the tools.  Look like Tarzan, play like Jane.

Funny how most fans, media and talent evaluators believe Edmunds plays at a Pro Bowl level.  But you do you. 

19 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

The takeaway is most Bills fans criminally undervalue Edmunds. He probably won’t win DPOY but he has DPOY talent and ability. 

Criminally undervalued?  Come on.  He's been average in the run game and poor in pass coverage.  He should be better than last year but I don't ever expect him to fall into the elite tier of linebackers.

• Haha (+1) 1