DPOY - Tremaine Edmunds (?!?)

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Someone doesn't watch the games. 

But I do believe Edmunds' dest football is ahead of him. 

That needs an edit, but it is so perfectly wrong.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The guy with the 7' wingspan hasn't forced a fumble in 42 games.    

He's never recovered a fumble.

Just 3 career interceptions.

Only 5.5 career sacks.

You don't win NFL DPOY without making plays............as stated on OBL today,  getting 100 tackles is nice but SOMEBODY gets a tackle on every non-scoring play.

I agree that he has DPOY talent..........if he had been utilized like a TJ Watt I think he'd have been a big time playmaker..........but the position that he plays requires A LOT of instinctive play to stand out.........but with 6 seasons under his belt as a college and pro LB he hasn't shown those instincts.

not sure how someone disagreed with your analysis.   The facts don't like.  He is not an impact player in the NFL, and is misused at MLB.  

24 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

I'd settle for some consistently competent play, less missed tackles and improved coverage skills. 

DPOY ? DPOY ?

That would be an amazing development that I would love to see.

If that happens the Bills are a top 3 defense and SB favorites.

if he is DPOY we WIN the SB.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

If Edmunds becomes 2021 DPOY, this board will implode.  The haterz will be chasing diamond rings with JD, and looping a belt over the shower....

If Edmunds win DPOY, the Bills will be Super Bowl champs!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

For anyone that has a problem with Edmunds play - the issue isn't that he's an OLB playing MIKE - the issue is he's playing the ILB in a majority 4-2-5 def. Without a 3rd LB the majority of the time, he has added responsibility. Considering everything we ask of him, he does an above average job. Our D thrives on the ability to run an extra CB/S to cover routes and have the only 2 true LB on the field plug holes for the run. Essentially:

1) If you want to pass - by the time someone gets open our D-Line should have gotten to you - which didn't happen last year

2) if you want to run - we'll plug the holes and be gap sound - Which was an issue last year because we couldn't plug holes adding additional lanes for RBs to hit

I would imagine there would be very few LB in the league that would perform better with the tasks asked of Edmunds. 

That being said - considering out D and his usage, it would take an incredible leap in his production and usage to become DPOY and I would say it is incredibly unlikely. He just isn't asked to do the things needed to stat stack for DPOY. He's almost the LB equivalent of what Star is to us - Looks poor on paper, but does the dirty/selfless job that allows those around you to thrive. 

• Like (+1) 3

Yeah, his instincts are not "other worldly" as put by the writer. He obviously hasn't seen him take bad angles,  not even see the RB going right past him, and continually getting caught up in the wash. Hopefully he takes a giant leap this year, but I've been saying that for the last two. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

Some of y’all really believe this could happen? Lol ok

Why not ? We’re talking about a first round pick who’s only 23 years old and has shown some flashes  and not Levy Wallace , 

will it happen probably not but its nothing to LOL about 

2 minutes ago, Putin said:

Why not ? We’re talking about a first round pick who’s only 23 years old and has shown some flashes  and not Levy Wallace , 

will it happen probably not but its nothing to LOL about 

The league is full of young players who show flashes. Edmunds’ game isn’t anywhere near to being a consistently great difference maker to be in consideration. 

6 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

The league is full of young players who show flashes. Edmunds’ game isn’t anywhere near to being a consistently great difference maker to be in consideration. 

People were saying the same about Allen 

3 minutes ago, Putin said:

People were saying the same about Allen 

Is this going to be what we say about everyone we hope gets a lot better? 

Allen was the kind of player who made plays completely on his own and despite the lack of talent around him.

Edmunds is a decent player but he’s not close to being on that level. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

not sure how someone disagreed with your analysis.   The facts don't like.  He is not an impact player in the NFL, and is misused at MLB.  

Yeah you simply aren't going to win NFLDPOY if you don't make big plays to attract attention to your play.

Edmunds has played 3 full seasons.........he amazingly doesn't have ONE signature, memorable big,  game changing kinda' play.    

Even Star Lotulelei has one of those in Buffalo.

Plays_that_defined_2019___Bills_at_Cowbo

Even Preston Brown had a TD return INT against the Dolphins once.   

buffalo-bills-middle-linebacker-preston-

• Like (+1) 1

Usually fans overrate the players on their teams. With Edmunds it's the opposite, he is one of the most overrated players in the league.

If he turns into a solid starter this year and maybe makes a big play or two at some point, I'd be thrilled. DPOY?

The youth excuses should stop after this season. Tired of hearing “he’s only _____ years old.” Edmunds himself recognizes he needs to become a more impactful player, at whatever position the Bills ask him to run. Hopefully it all comes together for him this year, we need the boost in production.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

The takeaway is most Bills fans criminally undervalue Edmunds. He probably won’t win DPOY but he has DPOY talent and ability. 

For about a 10 game stretch in 2019 maybe so, but in 2020 he was one of the worst players on the field.  Please go back and watch the games. You will be hard pressed to find 5 impact plays all year.  He had a really impressive stop on a 4th and goal against San Fran. That was his highlight play of 2020.  The worst was him almost tearing his groin and falling flat on his face as Cam Newton ran past him into the endzone.  In between was a high number of tackles 5+ yards downfiles, many missed open filed tackles, horrible angles to the ball and terrible blitzes up the middle.  He played better down the stretch presumably as his shoulder was healing but he was also positioned outside with Klein at MLB.  

I 100% agree he physically looks like a guy that can dominate but he has terrible instincts, is slow to diagnose run and pas splays, and just doesn't make plays.  Is that intelligence, is that football savvy, is that inexperience?  I don't know but I know what I see on film.  

If he plays like he did in late 2019 and the kids at DE play well the Bills defense has a chance to be top 5.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Lot of Edmunds hate on here.  For the people writing him off and saying we need to move on, to put things into context, Edmunds is 7 months *younger* than Boogie Basham our 2nd round pick this year.  He has his entire career ahead of him.  

• Haha (+1) 1